Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Virginia Tech fans worried about their safety

TK

http://www.newsandsentinel.com/sports/story/1023202003_spt01wvu.asp

Virginia Tech fans worried about their safety

By JIM BUTTA

MORGANTOWN - For at least eight Virginia Tech fans, Wednesday night's clash for the Black Diamond Trophy wasn't the only thing on their minds as they entered Mountaineer Field for the 7:45 p.m. kickoff between West Virginia University and their beloved Hokies.

Concerns over personal safety and the safety of the Tech players were of greater importance than who would or would not be successful in the two teams' final meeting as members of the Big East Conference.

"Absolutely," Mike Aubrey, who is employed by the Fire & Rescue Department in Howard County, Md., said. "I'm still worried about somebody throwing batteries at me or one of our player's head."

Aubrey, along with his wife Kelli and close friends Brian and Kara Gimbel, made the long trek from Roanoke, Va., to Morgantown for the first time when it was believed that the two longtime rivals would be meeting for the final time after Tech elected to join Miami and jump to the Atlantic Coast Conference this summer.

"We weren't sure at the time (we bought our tickets) that they would be playing each other again," Brian Gimbel said.

Those concerns already have been dispersed by the two schools as a contract for the next two seasons was agreed upon several weeks ago.

But other concerns still existed.

"We'd read all of them (the rumors) in the newspaper, but we still wanted to make the drive up here," Emma Jordan said.

"About the only thing that I'm concerned about is the rain."

Emma and her husband of 51 years, Charles, made the trip to Morgantown from Staunton, Va., with longtime friends Allen and Carolyn Hensley.

"We've been here twice before," said Allen. "It's just a gorgeous drive over here. We love coming to Morgantown."

But what about the threats of violence that have been echoed over the airways the last several weeks?

"Have you ever been to a Redskins-Eagles football game?" said Charles Jordan. "There you have to be brave."

For the most part, none of the eight had to deal with any of the purported bad blood that was expected to show itself when the orange and maroon-clad fans traveled through the Mountain State.

"There was the expected finger-pointing and colorful language, but for the most part, it wasn't anything we didn't expect," said Brian Gimbel.

Aubrey, a firefighter, even got some welcome advice from his brethren in Morgantown.

"When we got to Morgantown, we couldn't find our hotel, so I pulled into the local fire department to get directions," said Aubrey. "They were very helpful, but also told me that if I didn't want my jeep to look like a couch tomorrow morning, that I should take all my Virginia Tech stuff off of it."

All concerns aside, however, all eight were glad they made the trip.

"WVU and Tech is as much a rivalry as Tech and UVA," said Allen Hensley. "We're just glad the two schools were able to continue the series because we love coming up here."

Its no different than WVU fans traveling to Blacksburg. WVU has been rated one of the top ten party schools and the ESPN crew was adding fuel to the couch fire story last night, but what team doesn't celebrate after beating their highest ranked opponent ever (which happens to be a rival, which is leaving the conference)? I don't condone throwing things or destroying vehicles or couches (although I doubt much of that happened), but if you go into the other guys backyard wearing your colors, you have to be prepared to take some verbal sparring. I hope all the Tech fans made it home safe and sound.

Archived