Extremeskins

Hasselbeck Hopes to Make His Mark

TK

http://www.redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=12146

Hasselbeck Hopes to Make His Mark

10/22/2003

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

Every NFL quarterback takes a different route to the NFL. For Tim Hasselbeck, his route was not as a highly touted draft pick. The Redskins' newest acquisition entered the league quietly as an undrafted free agent and the last two years mostly had pre-season playing time with the Philadelphia Eagles.

Hasselbeck was unable to stick with the Eagles despite separate stints each of the last three seasons. In 2002, he was Philadelphia's holder and No. 2 quarterback for a handful of games when the Eagles' starter and backup were sidelined with injuries. Earlier in the year, he played briefly with Carolina, serving as the No. 2 quarterback at one point and nearly getting into a game.

But after getting released by the Eagles after training camp last August, he was out of football until the Redskins called on Tuesday morning and asked him to come in for a workout.

Speaking generally, Hasselbeck said: "It's crazy how it happens, where one day you're on the street and the next day you could be playing almost a full game. But I've come to realize that if I'm going to make my mark in this league, it's going to have to happen this way."

The 25-year-old Boston College product is expected to get a crash course in Steve Spurrier's offense during the bye week. He is expected to serve as a backup to starting quarterback Patrick Ramsey.

"One of my strengths is learning things as fast as possible," he said. "But I haven't seen this offense for more than three hours at this point. I'm going to try and pick it up as fast as I can.

"I would think that by the Dallas game I would have a grasp on enough stuff to have a plan if it ever happened that I had to get into a game."

Hasselbeck spent the 2003 training camp with the Philadelphia Eagles, completing 21-of-39 passes for 205 yards during the preseason. In 2002, he also spent training camp with the Eagles and was 23-of-32 for 200 yards and one touchdown in four pre-season games.

In 2002, he also played in NFL Europe for the Berlin Thunder and helped the team earn a trip to World Bowl X. Hasselbeck has played mostly in West Coast Offenses in Philadelphia and Boston College. At Redskin Park Wednesday, he spent time with quarterbacks coach Noah Brindise reviewing the team's offensive passing schemes.

"I can say that a lot of the concepts [of Spurrier's offense] made sense to me," he said. "These are things that I've done before and seen before and been coached on before."

In less than three weeks, Hasselbeck and the Redskins will be squaring off against the Seattle Seahawks, who are quarterbacked by Matt Hasselbeck, Tim's brother. The two are the sons of Don Hasselbeck, who had a nine-year career as a tight end in the NFL that included seven seasons in New England.

This is not good, Ramsey is dinged, another big blow on the hand or hip and he'll be out and the team cuts Johnson (who at least had starting experience) and signs a guy that has been cut 3 times..... something is wrong.

Placing a call for Gibran Hamdan.....

Archived