Extremeskins

Bugel Returns to Redskins

TK

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A61134-2003Oct21.html

Bugel Returns to Redskins

By Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, October 22, 2003; Page D01

Joe Bugel, tapped by the Washington Redskins to solve their pass-protection problems, spent the day at Redskins Park yesterday and Coach Steve Spurrier and offensive line coach Kim Helton said they welcomed the input of the man who won two Super Bowl titles with the team as a top lieutenant to former head coach Joe Gibbs.

"It doesn't bother me," Spurrier said. "If it bothers our assistants, they shouldn't feel that way. It's not like we're going up and down the field and stopping everybody. If we can pick up some ideas and suggestions to help the team, shoot, we've got to all be for that."

Bugel, the offensive line coach for the Redskins under Gibbs between 1981 and '89 and the former head coach of the Phoenix Cardinals and Oakland Raiders, spent much of the day watching game tapes, according to Spurrier. The Redskins are seeking suggestions after surrendering 25 sacks in their first seven games of the season; quarterback Patrick Ramsey, who has absorbed one hit after another, has not finished each of the past two games.

The Redskins are in their bye week and will take a 3-4 record and a three-game losing streak into a Nov. 2 game at Dallas.

Helton and several players said they had no interaction with Bugel, and Spurrier indicated that he does not expect Bugel to attend any practices or coaches' meetings. According to one club official, Bugel was scheduled to leave town late yesterday and has been given no official position with the organization.

Spurrier referred to Bugel as a consultant and said he approved of Bugel's involvement after it was suggested to him by Redskins owner Daniel Snyder and Vinny Cerrato, the club's vice president of football operations.

"It was brought up . . . by management, the owner and Vinny Cerrato," Spurrier said. "I said, 'Sure, bring him in and let him look.' Joe Bugel is one of the best offensive line coaches -- and coaches, really -- in probably the history of the NFL. We'll listen to whatever suggestions he has."

The Redskins hired Foge Fazio prior to the season as a special assistant in the personnel department and have been using the veteran coach, who was dismissed as the Cleveland Browns' defensive coordinator following last season, as a defensive consultant. Players wondered yesterday whether changes to Spurrier's coaching staff eventually could be in store. But team officials indicated that no changes were planned, and Helton did not voice any objections to Bugel's involvement.

"Joe Bugel is one of the best line coaches ever in this game," Helton said. "Any suggestion a man of his caliber can make can't do anything but help this football team. . . . You can't be insecure to the point that you can't take a suggestion. . . . If he comes up with a suggestion that helps us score a touchdown, I'll be the first one to be happy about it."

Right tackle Jon Jansen said he never had met Bugel but heard about him often when he played for Russ Grimm, a former Redskins offensive line coach who played guard for Bugel.

"I'm paid to go out and play football and do the things that I do, and I'm going to continue to do that," Jansen said. "No matter what the situation, I'm going to go out and handle business as usual. The coaches are paid to do the best they can to get us in the right spots and help us out as much as possible. Mr. Snyder makes his decisions in terms of who can best do that."

Jansen defended the play of Ramsey's blockers, saying: "The offensive line is getting a lot of blame thrown on them. That's part of the job description when things don't go right. . . . We're men about it. We can take it. But I think the offensive line is getting an unfair shake in the deal. There are 11 guys out there playing offense, and it takes all 11 to make things work."

Asked whether there was a sense of desperation surrounding the team, cornerback Champ Bailey said: "You can call it what you want. But we know that we can't afford to lose more than two or three more games because our goal is to get into the playoffs."

© 2003 The Washington Post Company

"It was brought up . . . by management, the owner and Vinny Cerrato," Spurrier said. "I said, 'Sure, bring him in and let him look.' Joe Bugel is one of the best offensive line coaches -- and coaches, really -- in probably the history of the NFL. We'll listen to whatever suggestions he has."

Noticed Spurrier didn't even call him by his name, Danny boy, there is some bad blood in that FO right now.

Archived