Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trent Cole could be cap casualty Per SB

Tyron Biggums

One of those decisions is going to be what to do with outside linebacker Trent Cole,according to Philly.com. Cole is making $5 million next season and at the age of 31, it is fair to wonder if his best days are already behind him. With the Eagles now trying to upgrade the defense across the board, is it worth keeping Cole at that price?

Cole is coming off a productive season in which he amassed eight sacks for the NFC East champions. However, his production has been on the decline over the past two seasons, combining for only 11 sacks after having a run of double-digit sack totals in four of the previous five years.

Of course, the Eagles and Cole might be able to work out something where Cole takes a pay cut if he is willing and wants to stay in Philadelphia badly enough.

I would be surprised if they let him walk.

Link:http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/1/7/5283556/trent-cole-eagles-cut-salary-cap

What a poorly written article.  While it is true Cole is due a salary north of 5 million next year, the Eagles would only see a cap savings of rounghly 1.8 million since there is a 4 million cap hit for cutting him.  Add in the 700 thousand to just replace him on the roster with someone getting the Vet minimum and it makes no sense to cut him to save 1 million.  I think the Eagles will use a high resource (1st or 2nd round pick) on a pass rushing OLB but Cole is a perfect team guy to take less snaps and mentor someone new. 

WB is right. It makes no sense to cut a veteran player who is well-respected and can still produce on the field just to save a few dollars. By all accounts, Cole worked his butt off to become a viable player in the scheme. I don't see the Eagles letting him walk.

Archived