Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jeep Wrangler Thread

grhqofb5

Did a search and didn't see anything specifically dedicated to Jeep Wranglers.

Just bought a 2014 Wrangler Unlimited "Oscar Mike" edition w/hardtop last night and brought it home.  Never owned a wrangler before, but always wanted one.  I understand there's a ton of different things you can do to upgrade, such as lift, removing doors, removing roof, getting additional roofs (I only have a hard top, so want to get a soft top for summer), giving it different looks, etc.

Anyone Wrangler owners want to share their thoughts and recommendations?

If you are looking for aftermarket accessories, quadratec.com is the only site you need.

I don't have a wrangler anymore, but owned two between 1994 and 2008 (I had to get rid of mine because due to a mt daughter being born). A black 1989 Hardtop Wrangler, and a white 1997 Softtop one. Both of them leaked in the rain. As time wore on, both of them had trouble starting in the rain too. The leak was mostly a minor annoyance. there is a plug under the carpet you can pull to drain water from the cab. 

Depending on your location, it could be illegal to take the doors off and not have side mirrors. The above site sells those. Hell, they sell everything you didn't know you wanted or needed. 

If you get a soft-top, get a storage bag for the windows when you have them off. They scratch very easily. Also, buy some cleaner for the windows on the softtop.

Finally, go to http://jeepjamboreeusa.com/ and register for one in your location. Even if you don't have a lift. Both of mine were stock. There was a guy in my group with a stock Grand Cherokee. There was a guy with a refurbished Willys. They had seperate groups depending on your level of comfort. It was a blast. 

944246_10201111179922583_540585427_n.jpg

http://www.wranglerforum.com/

Excellent resource for anything Wrangler.

I bought a 2005 Rubicon about 6 months ago. I love it.

You do know about the "Jeep" wave right?  When passing another Wrangler you have to wave, it's a jeep thing.  Only applies to Wranglers though.  Also, never call your Jeep a car, a small kitten dies every time somebody does that.

Welcome to the Jeep family, you'll never drive anything else ever again.

post-130284-0-63235200-1385589124_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info.  I'd like get a trex top in the spring, which I'll put on myself.  Also may want to get it lifted at some point.  What are your opinions on lift kits installed by private mechanics vs. one done by the dealer.  Obviously dealer will have a warranty, but the savings on the other end might be worth it.  Dealer told me to watch out for the "wobble of death" if a lift is not properly installed.

I have always wondered what the difference is in a "Safari" or "Rubixon" or "X" or now "Oscar Mike".

the sales guy I talked to tried to explain it to me.  Basically all jeep wranglers are the same, but then you start adding upgrades, i.e. tires, 4 wheel drive capabilities, tow packages, interior stuff, rock rails and steps, whole bunch of other stuff.  But the body is more or less the same.

Thanks for the info.  I'd like get a trex top in the spring, which I'll put on myself.  Also may want to get it lifted at some point.  What are your opinions on lift kits installed by private mechanics vs. one done by the dealer.  Obviously dealer will have a warranty, but the savings on the other end might be worth it.  Dealer told me to watch out for the "wobble of death" if a lift is not properly installed.

Even with 5 months of research on lifts, I'm still trying to wrap my head around them.  Basically, anything up to a 2" lift can be installed without having to add any other upgrades.

once you start getting to 3" and up you are looking at needing to add adjustable front and rear track bars so you can keep your alignment in check.  Then you'll need to either lower your transfer case, add motor mounts to correct the angle of your driveshaft to avoid vibrations.  I beleive you can also add something called an SYE which is a diffent connection in the drive shaft that can handle the changes in angles when lifting.

Since yours is new I'd make sure you dont do anything to void your warrenty if you lift it or have the dealer do it. From what I've read, a lot of people do it themselves or look to a reputable 4x4 shop to do the work.  WIth somebody else doing it, you're going to be paying 2x the cost. Install is going to cost as much as lift.

What about water damage? For example if the top is off and it rains will that ruin the stereo? You'd think no because the wranglers have a drain plug. So it wouldn't make sense to make the interior sensitive to water

I can only speak for experience for the 1989 and the 1997 models. Water didn't ruin the stereos or the speakers. At least in mine. There were more than a few occasions where I left the top off during a summer rain (thunderstorm) shower. And once during an overnight shower (which meant i had to ride to work in my bathing suit, and change at work). Mine had a water proof soundbar though, and no sub woofer.If you have the uconnect with a nav and all that, I wouldn't even risk it. Just get a bikini top and put it up when you leave the vehicle.  

The Jeep death wobble is a scary thing indeed. There was one spot on i-95 where it would happen to me each time. I'd be going 60-65, then i feel like the wheels are going to fall off. I was under the impression that's no longer an issue on them though. 

As for lifts, wait. Wait to see how you use you jeep. there's no point in lifting it if you aren't going off road into water and over rocks. Otherwise, it's a waste, and the larger tires make the ride a lot more noisy. 

the sales guy I talked to tried to explain it to me.  Basically all jeep wranglers are the same, but then you start adding upgrades, i.e. tires, 4 wheel drive capabilities, tow packages, interior stuff, rock rails and steps, whole bunch of other stuff.  But the body is more or less the same.

The difference between the Wrangler S (the cheapest) and the Sahara and Freedom edition (the oscar mike) are largely cosmetic. All of the above have the same engine, transmission and shocks (The Sahara does have larger tires than the other). It's not until you get to the Rubicon, where they really start adding to the mechanics of it. 

Archived