Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins-Lions: 4 Keys To The Game

I have to say those are the best "4 keys to the game" I have seen written on redskins.com in a very long time, maybe ever!!   

--> Just Win - No doubt that is the #1. Do whatever it takes! Seems obvious, but it can't be more accurate! 

--> Get the running game going! - Sounds trite but Brian listed some really good reasons! Nice data! 

--> Pressure the QB! - Check again! Get Stafford on his butt!! Make his life miserable and megatron can't hurt you! 

--> Improved Special teams - If everything else is improved, the game could easily come down to a special teams play, made or missed. 

Brian, Realizing you don't need my approval for anything, I still want to say very well done this week! Each point accurate and well stated with great data to support!! Awesome!!   

HTTR!!!!   Let's get #1 accomplished and move on to Oakland!! We need to be 2-2 at the bye. The 3 games coming back are brutal - the cowpukes - bears and broncos! 

awesome , Eagles lose again ....Just win and will be ok .hahahah Go deep first play

If we beat the lions we will be no worse than 2nd in the div. although we would lose the tie breaker with philly. But since we will beat them later in the year, it will not matter...  

More importantly, a win means we had a rocky start but are figuring it out, a turning point if you will. A loss means we likely have nothing but next year to look forward to as we could easily end up 1-6 very quickly, and that's assuming we beat oakland. 

Seriously...It's like Mr. Tinsman reached in & grabbed my thoughts when he wrote.....

"Get back to the read-option attack. The team has struggled mightily to sustain drives because the personnel is not ideally suited for a drop-back-and-pass scheme. Griffin III is under constant pressure in the pocket, and the Eagles and Packers both used the blitz to disrupt the passing game. Don't let the Lions dictate anything this Sunday; go out and run the offense that made you a top-five unit last year. This should allow everyone to get back on track on both sides of the ball."

I think this is exactly right.

HTTR!!!

Get back to the read-option attack. The team has struggled mightily to sustain drives because the personnel is not ideally suited for a drop-back-and-pass scheme. Griffin III is under constant pressure in the pocket, and the Eagles and Packers both used the blitz to disrupt the passing game. Don't let the Lions dictate anything this Sunday; go out and run the offense that made you a top-five unit last year. This should allow everyone to get back on track on both sides of the ball.

Hail Canada, I'm not sure if I agree with this statement at all for a three reasons.

1) We have already been running the read option. I had a previous post that demonstrated many instances of when it was ran against GB last week. The only difference is that it is not being run quite as frequent and RG3 has not himself taken the ball and ran on the zone read. The read option was not the primary offense ran last season. It was part of the offense package and it helped us run effectively but we don't live and die by it.

2) Defenses are attacking the run with blitz packages. If RG3 is back to form then he'll make them pay for it but until then teams will continue to attack the read option.

3) Outside of that fact we have had weaknesses in pass protection, we do have the personnel for a drop back pass scheme. We have right now the best looking LT in football, very good run blocking RBs/FB, and a very accurate pocket passing QB that RG3 has demonstrated since college. A QB that has been statistically been more accurate in throwing in the pocket than Luck.

In fairness to the scheme in the last two games, the coachs have made it clear they haven't been running 90% of thier offensive game plame due mostly to poor coverage, tackling, and a QB that needs time to return to form. So IMO this statement is mute and doesnt hit the core key to winning this game. Since getting back to read action won't change anything if we still have the three key aforementioned issues.

IMO, when presenting keys to the game they have to be ones that the team is capable of making happen. Calls for more read options, getting our dynamic LB duo involved, running AM would come naturally if the real keys to the game take place this week.
1) CYA: We need better coverage from our secondary. The safeties need to be in the right place at the right time. The CBs need to know where the safeties will be. If we can't make this happen then those 3 step drops will continue and our OLBs will mean little in adding pressure in this game.
2) Tackle Dummy: Our LBs and DBs need to do what they have been doing since they started playing football. Open field tackling is not just an issue; it's an embarrassing one to see NFL caliber players hitting the wrong angles and having players run through them with regularity. If we don't fix the tackling issues then we'll continue to see opponents eating up the clock on offense while scoring early and often which will eliminate our ability to run the ball.
3) Rusty Rob: RG3 needs to return to form in throwing the ball. He looked better last week then the 1st so I think there is progress already. However, we need him throwing well out of the gate. If he has his timing back woth the WRs and can hit our WRs downfield early, the defenses will lax on the run blitzing enabling better opportunities for the read option. However even, RG3 will have to show he is running well and a threat for the read option to be effective. So our the fans out there willing to see him in designed runs? Most seem to complain about it. As for me I say he must be part of some designed runs if we are to move the ball with the read option.

Archived