Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Griffin Iii: No Finger-Pointing In Locker Room

I took a look at the PFF ratings and plucked out the rookie CBs performance for the 1st week:

Amerson was the highest rated rookie CB playing in at least 50% of the defensive snaps.

1) Amerson 1.2 - Btw Sherman "the mouth" was 1.3

2) Johnathan Banks 0.2

3) Desmond Trufant -0.3

4) Dee Miller -0.3

5) Xavior Rhodes -0.7

*Tyrann Mathieu 0.8 (only 42 snaps less than 50%)

As a true testiment of Amerson's performance, he also played in the most snaps among all these rookies at 78. Not a bad start for what may become a steel pick in RD 2.

hail jdhawk,

thanks for the stats  ,i'm begining to think that game was an anomaly not how the season is going to go ,griffin shook the rust some of the off and nearly brought us back to win.

we play packers this week and the niners carved them up  so we jump on them early we  win easy if it goes back and forth a nail biter is in store!!!

Not sure I would call a 2nd rd pick a steal --   But it does appear he is acclimating quickly. We seriously need that.   

I would put him and JW on the corners and let Dhall play a hybrid FS/Slot CB position. People complain about his tackling, but he had the most tackles of any CB in the NFL last year. Part of that is people were raining passes at us all day, but it also shows he can tackle and does not run from it.  

hail jdhawk,

thanks for the stats ,i'm begining to think that game was an anomaly not how the season is going to go ,griffin shook the rust some of the off and nearly brought us back to win.

we play packers this week and the niners carved them up so we jump on them early we win easy if it goes back and forth a nail biter is in store!!!

Hail Yeah, no problem and I'll try to provide them as they accumulate this year since you can't get them for free.

Aaron Rogers is the last QB I wanted us to face after a 0-1 start. That is why I think losing to the Eagles could really hurt us. An 0-2 start is a high probability at this point unless we fix our safety situation like tomorrow. We are facing the most accurate downfield throwing QB in the league. Rogers could eat us up and I don't think we ever beat GB at home. I think this one could be a real shootout if RG3 can shake off the rust. He'll have to for us to have a chance.

Not sure I would call a 2nd rd pick a steal -- But it does appear he is acclimating quickly. We seriously need that.  

I would if Amerson continues to out play the 1st round CBs chosen. Of course this is way too soon to know if he is even a worthy 2nd round pick. This is a stat I look to monitor throughout the year. I'd post Rambo's ranking but I didn't want to put anyone in a sour mood :)

What was up with all the debbie downers at the game. A swarm left before our last td. If you were one of them, I was the guy telling you you'd be sorry when we came back and won this, as you walked up the stairs in sec 102 past me. If we had recovered that onside kick, I have no doubt we'd of got the W. I know traffic is a bad, but wouldn't seeing our team come back like that be worth it? But, we didn't...so I guess you all were right. I'm just saying...it ain't over, 'til it's over.

I would if Amerson continues to out play the 1st round CBs chosen. Of course this is way too soon to know if he is even a worthy 2nd round pick. This is a stat I look to monitor throughout the year. I'd post Rambo's ranking but I didn't want to put anyone in a sour mood :)

In fairness, what we are asking Rambo to do is much more difficult than Amerson. At least at CB, there a couple of veteran guys playing with him. Rambo should have an experienced SS to help him, as you and some others pointed out. Having said that, they will get some film and work some of the miscommunications out. I like Rambo's speed and his natural ability. It's up to the coaches to get him up to speed in terms of understanding the positional requirements. They obviously think they can. I do too. 

In fairness, what we are asking Rambo to do is much more difficult than Amerson. At least at CB, there a couple of veteran guys playing with him. Rambo should have an experienced SS to help him, as you and some others pointed out. Having said that, they will get some film and work some of the miscommunications out. I like Rambo's speed and his natural ability. It's up to the coaches to get him up to speed in terms of understanding the positional requirements. They obviously think they can. I do too

I agree completely and this is where statistics can fall short. While it may provide insight on the actual performance on the field for a given position, it doesn't discount for the circumstance Rambo was under. Nor does it indicate Rambo's improvement over the course of the preseason and this game. Scrutiny is high on our safeties right now and Rambo has more field to cover than Amerson.

Btw- The only starting safety that has a statistical worst outing than Rambo and Biggers is on Green Bay. So that at least indicates GB has some of the same weaknesses we have on defense and hopefully we can exploit it.

I have a few questions. 1. Has RG3's brand grown so big (all in for week one) that Coach Shanny could not pull him out of the game? 2. Did the coaching staff see in practice that RG3 was not driving the ball down field or did this start in the game? 3. Why did Coach Shanny name a starting QB so early in the week, why not make Philly wait it out? 4. If coach's saw RG3's lack of "push" in his passing game in practice why didn't they use that to start Cousins? 5. Would the game have turn out better if we started Cousins and then brought in RG3 down by 10-7 (or 17-7), would this have giving the Defense and fans a left? (i.e. did we miss play our hand)? 6. Are all the above questions just a "sore loser" who hates to lose any NFC East games?

In fairness, what we are asking Rambo to do is much more difficult than Amerson. At least at CB, there a couple of veteran guys playing with him. Rambo should have an experienced SS to help him, as you and some others pointed out. Having said that, they will get some film and work some of the miscommunications out. I like Rambo's speed and his natural ability. It's up to the coaches to get him up to speed in terms of understanding the positional requirements. They obviously think they can. I do too. 

Great point about not having any experienced Safety's to help Rambo, as I am sure that Biggers had his hands full. I think Rambo will be OK and like what I have seen to date (only rookie mistakes and a few missed tackles). As for young Mr. Amerson, he is way ahead of most rookie CB's so far. I really like what I see out of him .

Rogers could eat us up and I don't think we ever beat GB at home. I think this one could be a real shootout if RG3 can shake off the rust. He'll have to for us to have a chance.

HAIL JDHAWK4SKINS!

I agree & disagree. If we keep making mental mistakes then yes, we lose. If we turn the ball over, yes we lose. If Morris runs sub100, yes we lose. If we can't get Rogers off the field after 3rd down, yes we lose. However, if we play sound fundamental football like we did on our 7 game winning streak then I have no doubt we win. I think it COULD be a shootout, but if Morris takes over the game like he did against THE PIGS FROM DALLAST last year then we won't need RG3 to fling it all game long. IMO a good solid run game trumps a gun slinging QB any day of the week.

HTTR!!!

Hail Canada - You hit the nail right on the head on 2 major points. 

1. We need to play sound football. We clearly did not do that Monday. I personally think that was a perfect storm of things conspiring against: RGIII not playing until then, a new high speed O that we had not seen (adjustments were made), and honestly I think the preseason was too easy, we needed to be challenged more. I would actually liked to have lost one in the preseason. This is young team and they can ****ie quick. The pihlly loss should serve as a wake up call.  

2. WE have one thing GB does not have, and that's a running game. I hope it's AM but if it's Helu or Royster and even Thompson. If we can limit their time on the field with our running game, it changes everything. 

I agree & disagree. If we keep making mental mistakes then yes, we lose. If we turn the ball over, yes we lose. If Morris runs sub100, yes we lose. If we can't get Rogers off the field after 3rd down, yes we lose. However, if we play sound fundamental football like we did on our 7 game winning streak then I have no doubt we win. I think it COULD be a shootout, but if Morris takes over the game like he did against THE PIGS FROM DALLAST last year then we won't need RG3 to fling it all game long. IMO a good solid run game trumps a gun slinging QB any day of the week.
Hail Canada, I really hope you are right about just playing good fundamentals and establishing a run game. However, I feel GB will do exactly what the Eagles did and key on the run while daring RG3 to throw the ball. Also, GB has some of the very same weaknesses in the safety position we might want to take advantage of by using players like Reed to stretch their backfield. I'm sure we will come at them with the intent of running the ball. I'm sure we'll perform better using our rushing attack. I expect AM will be back on track. However, until our secondary's tackling and coverage along with our front four's ability to apply pressure can show improvements in games then I don't think Rogers will need much time to move the ball downfield.
I guess where I have my concerns is in those fundamentals you mentioned. Even if Meriweather starts, he may have to shake off his own rust and we have a rookie FS still working to improve on some of the basics.

I was concerned with our lack of pressure early in the game Monday. It improved later when we added some blitz packages. However, Rogers is very hard to corral hence very able to buy time stretching the field agaisnt our vulnerable coverage defense. It'll be hard to keep GB off the field enough to prevent this being a 30 plus scoring affair. Rogers to me is Vick squared

Archived