Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Initial post

kve

Which Question to send to SS Coaches Show  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which Question to send to SS Coaches Show

• "Coach Spurrier, the Redskins lead the league in the number of plays over twenty yards; however, we haven't seen Ramsey throw the deep pass with any frequency. Is this because the receivers aren't running the deep fly patterns or because the Redskins just haven't attempted to throw to those patterns because of defensive coverage?"
    • "Exactly why IS the offensive line committing so many penalties, and what are YOU doing to actively resolve these problems?"

Hello,

Initial Post: I am a Florida Gator who lives in Charlottesville VA and started following the ‘Skins as soon as Spurrier was hired as head coach (my Dad is a life-long Giant’s fan and I followed the Jets). I have enjopyed reading most of the posts and I thought I would try getting involved a little more. Here are some of my impressions (and yes I am pro-Spurrier, because of what he did for Florida!!):

[*]There are no Vanderbilt’s or St Mary’s Girl’s school in the NFL. Every week it is FSU, Georgia, Miami and you have to bring you’re A, B or C game just to have a chance.

[*]It looks like Spurrier has found a QB and wide receiving corps to be successful. The receivers can get open and now we just have to find time for Ramsey to get the ball off cleanly (with minimized ‘after the throw’ hits). Coles is definitely the real deal, McCants has come on strong and Gardner has caught a lot of balls so far. It seems that you guys rag on Gardner a lot, but I think having Coles work so hard will make him better. If Taylor Jacobs can get it going along with Pat Johnson and Cliff Russell – we have a pretty deep group.

[*]I know UF had a lot of penalties under Spurrier, but I can tell you it was nothing like I am seeing with the ‘skins (except for maybe the 52-20 championship game against FSU – I think they has 11 or so penalties). I watched some college games on Saturday and there was audibling all over the place and I did not see a lot of jumping by the OLs. The ‘skins coaches need to coach better during the week and the players just need to concentrate better all week and during the game. Maybe it does have something to do with Ramsey’s voice, but I have no knowledge of his Tulane days.

[*]Of course, the coaches seem to be doing a lousy job preparing the players to handle the blitz packages. It seems that most of the time at least one of the OL goes the wrong way and leaves a wide-open path to the QB. When the redskins blitz it is interesting to see that the other teams keep the middle mostly closed off and rarely do we get a clean path to the QB (Atlanta game not withstanding).

[*]It seems that the Philly and Tampa game was the first time that a standard four-man rush was really getting the job done against the regular OL. Dockery is a rookie – he needs help. Can Friedman help out – is he any good, he doesn’t seem to be playing at all?

[*]We have absolutely no pass rush, which is killing us!!!!!!!! Just think what Ramsey (heck, my favorite college QB Wuerffel) could do with 3-4 seconds every time back.

[*]I have heard a lot of folks say over and over again the Stephen Davis was not a good fit for a Spurrier type team – I have never believed it. Spurrier would love to have a back that can pound out yards late in the game to preserve a lead. I think last year Davis fumbled a few times, got hurt a few times and had a huge cap penalty this year – that is all there is to that. (as a side note: why do agents/teams continue to sign these deals that look great on paper but really are lousy for the players because they have to get released????)

[*]There is no doubt that Spurrier is still a rookie/second year coach in the NFL. Is there any doubt that this team might be 5-1 (or at least 4-2) with Parcells?? On the other hand, if Spurrier can keep this team together for a couple of more years, I see an offense that will be second to none – he knows how to get receivers open against any defense and that will improve the running game. He just has to make sure that he gets assistant coaches that have the same level of skill/fire/dedication that he has on the OL, the defense and special teams. He is a delegator and although that bugs a lot of folks, that is the way he is.

[*]His press conferences will be much more fun and entertaining once they start winning regularly.

[/list=1]

Kevin

Thanks for all the welcomes. I'll try to add to a post when I actually have something meaningful to say (at least until I have been around for a while). ... and I know enough to stay out of threads where people are tearing each other up!

Archived