Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins On The Mend In Richmond

Coach Shanahan since with the Redskins has shown the willingness to stand by talent when they get hurt, he doesn't panic like past regimes and instead of trading draft picks for over the hill vets. He's providing depth while being without our full salary cap the last 2 years.

You practice every day. You hit the weights every day. You stay in shape the whole year through. You dream about playing pro ball your whole life & when you're on the verge of obtaining your lifelong dream....injuries hit you & seriously hamper your chances of making an NFL team. I feel for some of these guys, especially the undrafted rookie FA's.

The one thing I don't understand is why we would draft guys that are already injured. Or hang onto guys that are always injured. They may have the skill set that you're looking for but if they can't get on the field or stay on the field, then what good are they? Injuries are a part of football but it seems like we're always hit with the injury bug more than other teams. Maybe its time to look for a different head strength & conditioning coach or perhaps not draft already injured players. Anyway...it could be worse....at least we don't have the same kind of problems the pigeons have. Sucks to be them I guess.

HTTR!!!

Hail Canada! I'm not sure if we are the most injured prone team out there. It always seems that way when those injuries hit close to home by the team you care about the most. I know that the Packers seemed to have been decimated the year they won the SB. For me, I view injuries as part of the game. This is why building depth is so important. Sometimes it's the deepest team that ends up winnniing it all and not the best. I understand the issue with drafting some players with serious injuries like Thompson; but Reed and Jenkins did not have injuries that are considered career threatening. All except for Reed were late round draft picks which I think Shanahan views as an opportunity to take a player at a late round that would have gone much earlier if not for the injure factor. To me it is low risk for high reward since we know that the later the round, the percentage of players that do actually start for a team is seriously low and highly unlikely.

Below is a link of one report that listed the most injured prone players in the NFL but no Redskins was included. I'm not sure how accurate this list is but many of the players on there had no injury issues coming out of college so there is no real sure bet on how to avoid players that are injured often. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1684322-who-are-the-nfls-most-injury-prone-players

In fairness, below is the one that supports you impression.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1364455-4-nfl-teams-who-can-legitimately-blame-injuries-for-early-struggles

The one thing about injuries on our team for me is that it seems to hit especially hard in a concentrated area. Like in 2011, we lost many offensive linemen in a short span followed by the RBs; then in 2012, it hit our defensive front seven and safeties. This year again you have injuries and suspensions that impacted the front seven with Robinson, Carriker, Jenkins, and Rob Jackson.  

Manchild157 has it right - this staff will stick with players who can play, even if they happen to be injured at the moment.  Exhibit A is Chase Minnefield.  We took him as a UFA after he was passed up in the draft, and he almost made the roster last season until his knee was hurt, but looks sharp this year after healing in the off season.

Hail all - We lost the second most games to injury only behind Green Bay - I believe we were at 73 games. Football Outsiders has an adjusted games lost. It takes into account starters lost vs. 3rd string etc. They have listed as the 4th most AGL - adjusted games lost. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2013/2012-adjusted-games-lost

Having said that, the NFL is seeing many more injuries, it's not just us. Many believe it's reduced and more regimented practices based on the CBA.

Archived