Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Positive Light.

freakofthesouth

I believe there were a lot of positives in this game. I know that right now, many of you see it differently, and that's fine.

The main thing that I saw is we were beat by the Bucs. We did not beat ourselves. That is a huge step!

Let's face it- the Bucs are a great team, and we really hung in there w/ them. Ramsey had some great plays. We just folded in the second half, particularly defensively...on bootlegs.

But you've gotta give it to Gruden (and no, I'm not a bucs fan!). He found some weaknesses and exploited them.

I stayed and watched the entire game, from start to finish, regardless of the outcome. In a little NYC bar, there were roughly 20 skins' fans, and I was the only one there at the end! What's up w/ that?

It's important to look at the long-term perspective here, and not be so devastated by this game. Our team is still coming along, and I am proud of them.

What makes players in the NFL, as in life, is how you deal w/ the sh*t that is thrown your way. Will you flip out and fold, or will you rise up and take it like a man? This is the difference between winners and losers, because losing is inevitable.

You may also find that life is generally better when you don't allow things out of your control to have such an impact on your perspective.

You can reply and think that I am crazy. I just wanted to share a little insight...

Am I pissed the Redskins lost? Yes. Will I go and try to shoot my son in the head because of it? Not a chance.

So, hold your heads high Skins fans. There is always next week.

please indicate the areas of improvement.

pass rush? protection? execution on third down? pass defense? tackling? coaching?

show me where in this game the team is showing improvement over what we saw vs. the Jets or Falcons.

that is my major complaint. while coaches like Parcells and Fox are getting the maximum output from teams with limited talent, the Redskins are pissing away games early in the season when they are mostly healthy and opponents are missing key starters.

today the Bucs came in without their starting fullback, starting cornerback, starting middle linebacker, and with one of their starting WRs slowed by a leg injury.

And the best the Skins could do was lose by THREE touchdowns?

Yeah, we have improved since the opener. the protection schemes are picking up the blitz and enabling Ramsey to throw the ball down the field and the defense is stopping teams on third downs and getting them off the field for our offense.

Nice fantasy, too bad it's not true.

Originally posted by Skeletor The Invincible

I do agree it's refreshing to say we didn't beat ourselves.

But in a way it hurts more, because we know we have a long way to go before we can say we're a playoff team.

Our defense got killed out there and it hurts.

THe D did get killed. But I really have to give it to Gruden.

He kept hitting the bootleg successfully. And it wasn't that we weren't prepared for it.

That last TD showed a double TE set. #80 was the outside target, and he was covered. Only Gruden used him as a decoy and sent #89 into the flat, confusing the Skins' D. It was a great call.

But here's the main thing that I remeber- Lavar's hit on McCardell! Holy sh*t! He drilled him.

If we only could have stopped the 3rd down conversion after that play, this game could have been different.

But that's football. That's life.

Good post FotN. It's refreshing to see some positivity amongst the most diehard. Although we got beat, loss I feel will bring the team together even closer because of the way we lost. Like you said, we didn't get beat by ourselves. Hopefully this will cause us to take a different approach to preparing for games. I honestly believe all our troubles have stemmed from our mental preparation.

Take me back to a more simplified offensive scheme where players block the man ahead of them, you run the ball and set up the play action pass downfield to receivers that beat their man in one up coverage :)

From what I have seen of Spurrier's offense it is just not workable in the NFL.

You end up with durability issues at QB and give defenses the advantage of blitz pressure when you run plays out of the wide formations so often.

I agree as well this is a great thread. I am all for this. This Bucs team is amazing, some of those catches they made to keep drives going were just sick!

Look though, I and other should have seen this coming. We should have seen our defense getting beat up here. Why?? Because they Bucs bunch them up and move everyone all over the place and everything, and we play man coverage 90% of the time. We dont play zone very well. And playing man when they do stuff like that gets you all switched around and allows you to be somewhat picked off of your guy. Which was the case on several plays.

Plus we had a 70% + third down conversion rate on offense in the first half. IMO where we got into to trouble was when SS quit mixing it up on offense when we were only down 8 with a midway through the third. We're still learning.Both coach and player. We just need time together as a team to build that cotinuity/chemistry is all. Key word here gang..PATIENCE. :)

Originally posted by bulldog

please indicate the areas of improvement.

pass rush? protection? execution on third down? pass defense? tackling? coaching?

show me where in this game the team is showing improvement over what we saw vs. the Jets or Falcons.

that is my major complaint. while coaches like Parcells and Fox are getting the maximum output from teams with limited talent, the Redskins are pissing away games early in the season when they are mostly healthy and opponents are missing key starters.

today the Bucs came in without their starting fullback, starting cornerback, starting middle linebacker, and with one of their starting WRs slowed by a leg injury.

And the best the Skins could do was lose by THREE touchdowns?

Yeah, we have improved since the opener. the protection schemes are picking up the blitz and enabling Ramsey to throw the ball down the field and the defense is stopping teams on third downs and getting them off the field for our offense.

Nice fantasy, too bad it's not true.

It's not a fantasy Bulldog. It's life.

Just because I choose to view events differently than you do does not make my perspective less credible.

I'll say it again- I do not believe that we beat ourselves today. We were simply beat by a better team.

Maybe that better team was missing some key players. Maybe their personnel talent-wise does not match up w/ ours on paper. But this does not hold any water...this is a team sport. We see unpredictable outcomes week in and week out. That's why we love it.

So, while it would be nice to say that 'the coaching was bad,' or 'the play calling stunk,' try to see a different perspective w/ more consistency and confidence in your team.

bulldog,

your refusal to acknowledge facts of a game has crossed a line.

We converted third downs this game. Our pass protection was actually very good. 3 sacks, yes, but otherwise, ramsey stood in the pocket with little to no pressure. The sacks came on 3 step drops where ramsey held the ball for 4 seconds. Not really the fault of the o-line.

Penalties.... major cutback in penalties, but you won't acknowledge that will you?

and you seem so willing to forgive our opposing teams thier injuries, but what about our own. Maybe you don't like smoot, but now you see why he is HUGE part of our defensive scheme.

Our D-line is aweful.... maybe that had something to do with an injury, but you conveniantly forget that as well. What about canidate, and royal, and Fiore? Or do injuries only count against the skins? Your revisionist reading of these games is getting old.

-DB

Originally posted by bulldog

Take me back to a more simplified offensive scheme where players block the man ahead of them, you run the ball and set up the play action pass downfield to receivers that beat their man in one up coverage :)

From what I have seen of Spurrier's offense it is just not workable in the NFL.

You end up with durability issues at QB and give defenses the advantage of blitz pressure when you run plays out of the wide formations so often.

This is a good point here Bulldog. There may be a systematic flaw in Spurrier's system. Only time will tell.

It's also great to se that there are others here at extremeskins that can wade through the crap and see the big picture!

sorry, guys. this thread to me is about denial :)

we scored the first TD the Bucs have allowed in the first half all season?

please. that's supposed to be a salve for losing by 21 points at home? :laugh:

that's like the Browns saying they could take pride in the fact Kyle Boller didn't throw for 300 yards against them even though Jamal Lewis ran for 295 :laugh: :laugh:

again, you want to remain a 7-9 or 8-8 club you keep going into games watching your coaches get schooled and your star players failing to back up their smack :mad:

where was Arrington and the D vs. a Tampa offense without Alstott and Dilger and with Johnson at less than 100%?

Tampa moved the ball down the field not because of sterling talent but because Gruden simply out-coached the Skins and our team never adjusted to what he was doing.

We will now start to face teams who are not missing key players.

We will see what happens.

Anyone see penalty total for this game?

Sore subject, eh? :)

What, another 8 or 9 penalties to throw on the fire, including another one on the D that resulted in a touchdown for the opposition?

I can be a fan of a team and still tell the truth, I am secure enough I can sleep at night after admitting the Skins aren't going to be a 12-4 dream team in 2003 :)

In fact this team could be 9-7 or 10-6 if they improve. But I don't see any steady improvement.

If you do, please point it out and I will be happy to be happy with you :D

I saw another 8 or 9 penalties out there today, so the execution is still not crisp.

I saw a young qb making throws on his own end of the field in the second half that perhaps another head coach would not have him make, for fear of just the kind of turnovers that happened to spike the score of the game.

I watched Allen turn this team around. You got a feel for the improvement, for the coming together. Ditto under Gibbs.

This team is just too jekyll and hyde to get a read on in that regard.

Spurrier seems to be learning his lessons, unfortunately he seems to be learning them one at a time and through a gut-wrenching process of pain and suffering.

After 7-9 came the admission the qbs and wrs from Florida were not going to cut it.

Perhaps after a similar record this season he will admit the protection schemes and playbook have to be altered to better protect the QB and cut down on the mistakes? :)

One can only hope.

Also for those who want to throw in the towel, we are still in second place, a game behind the Cowgirls. Philly lost a heartbreaker and NY lost to a team we defeated. Now I'm not denying the fact that we stunk today but this season is far from over. FreakoftheNorth, I'm with you. I still see the glass half full. We'll get it together, let's be patient

I was thoroughly disapointed with our effort and the coaching in the second half. In fact it was one of the very few times I've failed to watch the last two minutes of any Redskins game no matter how bad we were getting beat.

However, how many teams in the NFL wouldn't love to be 3 - 3 with Ramsey as their QB?

On to the Bills and our next win!!

we got beat for a td by the same play 3 FRICKIN TIMES! that has to be considered beating urself in some respect. u just cant do that... i havent been this depressed by the skins in a while. and the cowpies being in first just makes me want to jump off a building.

not to mention i benched brad johnson on two of my fantasy teams. way to prove me wrong boys! :doh: :puke:

I, for one, saw a great deal of improvement w/ the penalties.

Yes, we defintely made some stupid ones, like Upshaw's RTP. But the audibles were called w/ only one false start. I would say that is improvement.

KC Dave, all good points. But like you said, he is a rookie coach. He is still learning. That's the 'long-term perspective' that I was referring to.

So go skins!!!!

You've taken the words right out of my mouth Bulldog. :)

Its interesting that the Carolina Panthers are undefeated at 5-0 now with only a journeyman passing quarterback named Delholme, and don't need any fancy Fun n' Gun passing offense to be successful. They are scoring as many points as the Fun n' Gun with a simple, mistake free offense -- 3 yards and a cloud of dust with Stephen Davis -- running straight ahead.

I realize that we could not afford Davis and his contract that ballooned to $11 million dollars in only its 3rd year [whose fault was that? :mad:] but all our pass catching backs haven't done us that much good. :(

Archived