Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RGIII: The Dangers of High Expectations and Pressures

courier2003

I wanted to share this video with all of you. When you see it, then you'll understand my concern for our new QB. Regardless of whether or not he is cleared to play against Minnesota this weekend, I think he needs to err on the side of caution and sit out for one game. IMHO, playing this weekend is probably a little too soon.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:8490666&startTime=00:00

We should have brought in players that would have improved our O-line and our defense.

We drafted two interior offensive linemen that are both on the team. We also drafted a running back that is, at the moment, one of the best in the league. Our line is doing okay. A top ten RT would make a world of difference and hopefully we find one for next season.

As for defense, we are missing 4 starters and are not getting 3 of them back (injuries and suspension.) The team will be fine and Robert can handle the pressure. He is a diamond you know!!

On putting too much pressure on RG III: It's the way it is. All first round picks are expected to produce in their first year. The higher the price, the more the pressure. Even to someone like me, who at the time, was not in favor of the high price paid, I cannot imagine someone who has responded to said pressure better. RG III has been an impact player beyond my wildest expectations, even with a dubious offensive line and alleged play-calling problems. Pressure is a non-factor.

On picking Cousins with the 4th round pick: Cousins was a good choice to backup RG III. With this pick the team has the backup of the future at half the price of a Rex Grossman (in future years), who can be a friend to the de facto QB of the future at the same time they go through similar growing pains/learning curves. Could they have gotten someone who filled a need more? Not necessarily. Please note that at the position of greatest need, the OL, none of the OL drafted by the Redskins 3rd round and later have seen a down on the field yet, despite some injuries. It's impossible to tell how the "what if's" might have played, but based on those that were actually drafted, the answer is they would have made no contribution at all. Next year, Rex, and his salary are probably gone and we have Cousins, at a cheaper prce longer term. That's a pick for the future.

Archived