Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RGIII: The Dangers of High Expectations and Pressures

courier2003

I still remember all of the hype about RGIII right after we had officially drafted him. I was at FedEx Field helping to sell merchandise in the Team Store during Draft Day Weekend. RGIII made an appearance, and you knew almost immediately that he had arrived when you heard the sudden roaring of the crowd in the stadium. In the store itself, his #10 Jersey was selling for, well, let's just say it was more money than I had. Still, that jersey was the hottest item in the store, and many of them were sold that weekend.

I often times wonder how RGIII handles the fame and all of the popularity. Now that he has been hurt, a new reality has probably befallen him. I also wonder how he is handling that. I think it was wrong to put so much pressure and expectation on this young man. He comes into a situation where the head coach is trying to produce wins not only to save his own job, but is also having to deal with a fan base that is understandably growing very impatient for a winning season. You can't turn things around but so fast on any NFL team. I'm no expert, of course, but it seems to me that a new QB needs more than just one season to adjust to being in the pros. The Redskins' offensive line also needs to do a much better job of protecting their long-term investment. We gave up a lot to get RGIII. So far, he has been running for his life and taking quite a few hits because of questionable play calling and an O-line that hasn't done the best job of protecting him. What happened last Sunday was inevitable. It shouldn't have come as a big surprise to anybody.

Something else I don't agree with is how dependent we are on RGIII to produce a winning team (no pressure no diamonds). If we had it to do all over again, then I can't help but say this. We should have utilized a more balanced approach with player selection in the draft. We should have brought in players that would have improved our O-line and our defense. We should have still gotten a QB, but not one where we necessarily had to give up so many first round draft picks. Whether it's RGIII or somebody else, a QB can't do his job but so well without the “proper pieces” (or personnel) around him. I’m still very puzzled that the Redskins drafted a second QB in the same year as our hopeful franchise QB. The way I see it, we could have put that draft pick to better use by choosing players for other positions on the team where we have greater needs right now. Add to that the fact that, financially, we are strapped for at least one more season because of the salary cap penalty (thanks again, Danny) and the draft picks we no longer have because we chose to go after RGIII. Well, maybe you can see my concern here.

The bottom line is this: You can't put this much pressure and expectation on just one player, QB or otherwise. When you do that, then you're taking a dangerous gamble. We "mortgaged the farm" to get RGIII, and now he gets injured just five weeks into the season. He didn't even know what the score was or what quarter it was after he took that hit last Sunday by Falcons linebacker Sean Weatherspoon. Then the training staff tries to tell us that he has suffered a "mild" concussion. Yeah, right! I'm angry right now, because this is already starting to look like another disaster in the making. We bring in a talented young player with so much promise, and then we don't take care of our investment because the people in charge of his development and well-being aren't doing a better job. A new employee, or in this case a new player, can’t perform but so well without the right personnel around him. For example, if I was a good employee with some work-related honors and awards, and I went to a company that has a history of questionable management and business practices, then chances are my performance won’t be but so good because my superiors weren't handling the operations of the company better. I think that’s typical of any place of employment and not just for an NFL team. RGIII is a very talented QB, but he is still trying to adjust to being in the pros. We don't have a very solid offensive line to protect him right now. We also have a very porous defense that has been spending too much time on the field. In last Sunday's game alone, the Redskins’ defense was on the field for 37 minutes and was only 1 of 9 on 3rd down conversions while the Falcons were 9 of 17. We allow Matt Ryan to throw 52 passes and complete 34 of them for 345 yards and 2 TDs. I also question some of the offensive play calls. RGIII could have slid or thrown the ball out of bounds on the play where he got hurt instead of keeping the ball and trying to force something. Add to that the fact that we currently have a head coach sitting on the “hot seat” unless he begins producing winning results NOW, not later. As a fan, I’m very concerned about what the end result is going to be from this whole situation. My hope for this team, as with any fan, is that the players as well as coaches can prevent another major disappointment. I think we have seen more than enough of them already. In the meantime, I’ll try not to brace too much.

Overwrought and fearful post. It's not absent legitimate concerns but it is essentially reaction, not rational weighing of what went into getting Griffin, why it was important to get HIM as opposed to another (getting any old QB WOULD be a disaster) or why this sudden onset of fear is warranted.

He could have been hit in the pocket hard (He has been.)

Let me just be clear to all of you about something. First and foremost, I'm not trying to say that I didn't want RGIII here. I would just like to see him stay healthy so that he can continue trying to make this team a winner again. Thank you!

I am sure we all understand your "concern" and would all like to see him remain healthy, just like every player. But everyone takes a risk of injury just stepping on the field. This is one of the smartest kids ever to take a snap for the Redskins. I am sure he will learn, if he hasn't already to get the hell out of bounds or throw the ball away in that situation.

Just because we mortaged the farm for him, doesn't mean don't play him, or play to his strengths. We were cash strapped and have plenty of holes to fill. Rome wasn't built in a day. This team is in great shape compared to 2 years ago. There's a plan in place, let it unfold. Now is time to make Robert understand that situation is not the time to take a hit.

Yes...calm is the word.....RG's hit was like that first scratch on your new car. You knew it was coming but still hated it!!! Rg's was more like a dent but still it's over. Every player..and I mean "every" gets dinged at some point so now we can relax about the first scratch....... and enjoy our new Porsche.

I'm not sure anyone here seriously considered the Redskins a Superbowl team this year. We all realize that this is a flawed team, albeit one that can now at least produce entertaining games - mostly due to RGIII himself. And, I don't think anyone is putting any more pressure on him than he wants to take on. He seems driven to take that leadership role and the responsibility to carry the team when it needs it.

I think throwing a rookie QB who isn't physically and mentally ready out there is indeed putting too much pressure on them, but I think we've seen by his play that RGIII is ready. Not playing him probably stunts his growth as a QB more than playing him does.

I see no problem with your concerns and I don't see it as "freaking out." That being said? The intelligence, abilities and confidence that he dispalys gives us reason to have high expectations of him. He has those same expectations and he has channeled those expectations towards the fans.

Your concerns have been brought to the table by others many, many, MANY times. They are not without merit and you present your case nicely, BUT...

IMHO we may have sacrificed a lot to get RGIII but I would not necessarily call it 'mortgaging the farm'. It was a high price, but the quality of the returned product is evident. I believe we got what we paid for.

What is really a problem is the fact that the Skins are being penalized by the league for not colluding (and penalized heavily). This in and of itself is the biggest problem for this team. While obtaining RGIII put us a few steps closer to the "glory hole" (thanks to Jerry Jones for this quip), we were not able to capitalize on the acquisition by surrounding him with the quality players the $36M would have provided.

It is only 5 games into the year and RGIII is still learning. I do not believe that Coach Shanahan encouraged him to take that hit (so not really bad coaching or play calling), rather this is one of those learning moments which I believe will make him a better all round player.

Now, if only the Offense would just do its job and not force him into doing everything himself, and the Defense would please make consistent 3rd down stops! Then things will start to get better.

I almost stopped reading at "thanks again Danny," Another Snyder hater with an agenda. Do you really think Snyder controls our cap space? Do you know who Bruce Allen is? Let me introduce you to the guy who takes care of said cap.

Mortgage the farm? We gave up 3 extra picks. A second and two firsts. Counting this past draft, we will have 22 picks in 21 chances. We didn't mortgage anything.

Blaming the offensive line for him getting hurt? Sure the pressure forced him out, but HE made the wrong decision by trying to do too much. He should have launched the ball into the 10th row.

Hot Seat? Show me who said Shanny's on the hot seat beside agenda driven media. Snyder and him have a 5 year deal in place and he gets the full 5 years.

If you were expecting a Super Bowl, that's your own fault for being unrealistic.

I almost stopped reading at "thanks again Danny," Another Snyder hater with an agenda. Do you really think Snyder controls our cap space? Do you know who Bruce Allen is? Let me introduce you to the guy who takes care of said cap.

Mortgage the farm? We gave up 3 extra picks. A second and two firsts. Counting this past draft, we will have 22 picks in 21 chances. We didn't mortgage anything.

Blaming the offensive line for him getting hurt? Sure the pressure forced him out, but HE made the wrong decision by trying to do too much. He should have launched the ball into the 10th row.

Hot Seat? Show me who said Shanny's on the hot seat beside agenda driven media. Snyder and him have a 5 year deal in place and he gets the full 5 years.

If you were expecting a Super Bowl, that's your own fault for being unrealistic.

Well said. /thread

damn, you pwned the OP

Well said. /thread
damn, you pwned the OP

I wasn't trying to come off as a jerk, but just trying to set the record straight on a few points. I actually held back on a few points.

I should add about taking Kirk Cousins in the 4th round. Was there a RT or CB/S that could have come in with "zero" experience and made a difference? Yeah, yeah, Alfred is a 6th round pick, but RB is the easiest position on the team to come in right away and produce.

He also mentioned that we shouldn't put pressure on RG3 to perform. Well, so far, I think the coaching staff has put the leash on him too much. I think they've over-protected him. I feel he wants to burst at any time. He is an extremely intelligent kid who understands his draft position and what he needs to do. I think the hardest part was after the draft. Now he can relax and play.

pjfootballer hit most of nails perfectly.

The play where RGIII got injured wasn't a designed run. Designed runs were practically non-existent in the Falcons game. The thing is, at some points there will be broken plays. At that point, it comes to RGIII whether he runs or throws it away. We can coach one way or another, but in the end it's RGIII's decision (and of course, you don't want to tell him throw it away on every broken play since there will be some broken plays where he can get 20 yards no problem).

The other thing was the penalty. With 18M more, we probably sign Winston or another RT, and add better protection for Griffin. Unfortunately, the penalty happened, and we suddenly had to make due with what we had, which unfortunately is a forever injured Brown and a way below average Polumbus. We probably address it in the offseason, but unfortunately we had to make due this year.

The other factor is Garcon got injured week one and wasn't 100% until last week, and even then I'm not so sure (though that might have been the rain bringing his hands issues up again). One of the easiest ways to protect a QB is to get the ball out quick. Without Garcon we were down a major weapon to do that. Now that's he's back, the release speed of passes should be faster, and thus allow RGIII to be protected better.

The offense is going through a steep learning curve. It will be some time before it reaches maximum efficiency.

I've made the same argument about our selection at a second qb and was rediculed. The corner our of Nebraska would have been the better choice as we took a "luxury" pic. And as a team rebuilding we can not afford such pics. We traded the house for RG and I hope like no one else that it pans out. And I like cousins but the pic does not help the immediate team as we drafted a long term and maybe always second string player. Why and who else drafts back ups???? Maybe a team that is set and is looking for depth but I bet their future plan has these players involved if they pan out.

RG does have a lot of pressure on him. He kinda brought it on himself with all the commercials though. When your standing next to strahan and what's his name( sorry cant remember) and he hasent taken a snap yet, boy ya better produce to prove your worth the endorsements. I think it will pan out for the young man but some of us as fans and the coaches are expecting to much of a first year QB.

There is no crystal ball to look into and every player is one play away from a season/ career ending injury. And a mobile QB multiplies that by some number. Not gonna guess on that one though.

I've made the same argument about our selection at a second qb and was rediculed. The corner our of Nebraska would have been the better choice as we took a "luxury" pic. And as a team rebuilding we can not afford such pics. We traded the house for RG and I hope like no one else that it pans out. And I like cousins but the pic does not help the immediate team as we drafted a long term and maybe always second string player. Why and who else drafts back ups???? Maybe a team that is set and is looking for depth but I bet their future plan has these players involved if they pan out.

1) We drafted Richard Crawford and Jordan Bernstein who both made the club, so the FO did not ignore the secondary, in addition to bringing in Meriweather and Jackson (who I think both will start next year and play extremely well in this style of defense). Grabbing a CB with that 4th round pick would not elevate the secondary to legandary status. Remember, we have a 1st round CB on IR that goes by the name of Minnifield.

2) Cousins was the highest rated player left on the board according to the FO. Who are we to dispute that, as the FO are the ones who are paid to make the selections and none of us had a smidge of information compared to what they had on the prospects

3) There is a guy that everyone wanted at RT with the Cousins pick who is with the Cardinals, currently playing RT. He gave up more sacks last week in one game against the Rams, then Polumbus has all season. Do you still want Bobby Massie? Check out the last 2 weeks of the Cardinals O-line and tell me which teams line is worse.

4) I already addressed the "trading the house" nonsense in my other post. 2012. 2013 and 2014 we have 22 picks out of a possible 21. We essentially traded a 2nd and two 1sts for him. 3 Picks is not "the house."

5) If Cousins was such a bad pick, how come he suits up every week, but last years starter is sitting on the sidelines in shorts?

If anyone saw that hit on Big Ben last night (well, sandwich really) when he was in the pocket, they'd understand injuries can happen (or sometimes not at all) at any point, especially IN the pocket. The reason I said the post was overwrought is because the cost was worth it, getting a middlin prospect is what we did before. Grab an elite one, with immense physical and intangible gifts. Then hope it works out by being smart in what you build around him.

I think it was wrong to put so much pressure and expectation on this young man. He comes into a situation where the head coach is trying to produce wins not only to save his own job, but is also having to deal with a fan base that is understandably growing very impatient for a winning season. The Redskins' offensive line also needs to do a much better job of protecting their long-term investment. We gave up a lot to get RGIII. So far, he has been running for his life and taking quite a few hits because of questionable play calling and an O-line that hasn't done the best job of protecting him. What happened last Sunday was inevitable.

I also question some of the offensive play calls. RGIII could have slid or thrown the ball out of bounds on the play where he got hurt instead of keeping the ball and trying to force something.

RG3 doesn't appear to have any problem at all with the expectations around him. He single handedly put Baylor football back on the map. Yes it was a small environment, but the alumni around that school (generally weathy Texans) is as as intense as any group of Redskin fans, and he worked it beautifully. I have some insight into that as Baylor is recruiting my son for their tennis team.

You questioned the O-Line. With the exception of one player, the O-Line appears to be about as good as any other team's O-Line. When you go look at how they grade-out as a unit, they have been performing just above average this year, and improving each week. The biggest weaknees in the pass protection has been the TEs and RBs, not the O-Line...and when it IS the O-Line, its usually a failure by that one guy (Polumbus). The only draft pick that could have possibly added talent to our O-Line, was the spot where Cousins was selected, and there wasn't anyone worth that pick, who could fit our scheme available at that point in the draft. For sure, there was nobody who could have been an improvement over Polumbus.

You also questioned play calling. Its in another thread, but the play calling has done nothing but help RG3...and in a very big way.

RG3's injury was no one's fault but his own (and the excelllent execution by the Atlanta D). There is no blame to be placed on the play design, the play call, or the execution of the protection. Atlanta took away the read, RG3 went into improv mode, the protection held as long as should be expected, RG3 had plenty of opportunity to throw the ball away, he just chose to put himself out there.

RG3 doesn't appear to have any problem at all with the expectations around him. He single handedly put Baylor football back on the map. Yes it was a small environment, but the alumni around that school (generally weathy Texans) is as as intense as any group of Redskin fans, and he worked it beautifully. I have some insight into that as Baylor is recruiting my son for their tennis team.

You questioned the O-Line. With the exception of one player, the O-Line appears to be about as good as any other team's O-Line. When you go look at how they grade-out as a unit, they have been performing just above average this year, and improving each week. The biggest weaknees in the pass protection has been the TEs and RBs, not the O-Line...and when it IS the O-Line, its usually a failure by that one guy (Polumbus). The only draft pick that could have possibly added talent to our O-Line, was the spot where Cousins was selected, and there wasn't anyone worth that pick, who could fit our scheme available at that point in the draft. For sure, there was nobody who could have been an improvement over Polumbus.

You also questioned play calling. Its in another thread, but the play calling has done nothing but help RG3...and in a very big way.

RG3's injury was no one's fault but his own (and the excelllent execution by the Atlanta D). There is no blame to be placed on the play design, the play call, or the execution of the protection. Atlanta took away the read, RG3 went into improv mode, the protection held as long as should be expected, RG3 had plenty of opportunity to throw the ball away, he just chose to put himself out there.

:applause::applause::applause:

Archived