Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Eye Ex-Viking Chamberlain

Morning Wood

Not sure how I feel about this, but he's better than Phlegmiester.

By Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, October 1, 2003; Page D03

The Washington Redskins have expressed interest in former Pro Bowl tight end Byron Chamberlain, who was released Monday by the Minnesota Vikings.

Club officials yesterday were completing arrangements for Chamberlain to work out at Redskins Park on Friday. Sources said the Redskins feel no urgency to make an immediate move at the position. But they have made several attempts since the offseason to upgrade their tight end corps. Several teams are chasing Chamberlain, and the Redskins' interest could increase if he's impressive in Friday's workout.

Chamberlain, 31, reported to the Vikings overweight on Monday after being reinstated by the NFL following a four-game suspension for testing positive for ephedra. But he reached the Pro Bowl as recently as the 2001 season.

Redskins tight ends Zeron Flemister and Robert Royal have combined for only four catches in four games this season. Flemister played in last Sunday's 20-17 triumph over the New England Patriots after missing two games because of a strained Achilles' tendon, but Royal remained in the starting lineup. The Redskins also have a rookie tight end, Kevin Ware, on their five-man practice squad, and promoted him to the roster to back up Royal in the two games that Flemister missed.

The Redskins expressed interest in free agent tight end Ernie Conwell during the offseason, but he signed a five-year, $8 million contract with the New Orleans Saints. They made a strong push during training camp to sign five-time Pro Bowl tight end Wesley Walls, but he passed up a more lucrative offer from the Redskins to sign a one-year, $780,000 deal with the Green Bay Packers.

Chamberlain, like Conwell and Walls, is known as a better pass catcher than blocker. Redskins Coach Steve Spurrier said after the club missed out on signing Walls that he generally would like to throw the ball to his wide receivers rather than his tight ends. But team officials maintain that the tight end would be a more frequent target in Spurrier's offense if the club had a more reliable receiver at the position.

Chamberlain has 163 receptions in eight seasons. He spent his first six seasons with Denver and had three catches while filling in for an injured Shannon Sharpe in the Broncos' victory over the Atlanta Falcons in Super Bowl XXXIII. He had 57 catches for the Vikings in 2001 and was rewarded with a five-year, $8 million contract.

But he slipped to 34 receptions in 13 games last season, when he was plagued by a knee injury and questions about his conditioning. This year, he reportedly spent his suspension -- during which he was barred from practicing or training with the Vikings -- at a training facility in Arizona. He reportedly weighed in at 269 pounds Monday, about 20 pounds heavier than the Vikings wanted him. The Vikings, rolling along with a 4-0 record and the league's second-ranked offense, decided to stick with tight ends Jim Kleinsasser, Charles Stackhouse and undrafted rookie Sean Berton.

But those in Chamberlain's camp feel he might benefit from a change of scenery. Redskins officials are pleased with their 3-1 start and like the improvements they've made to an offense ranked fourth in the NFL. But they continue to look for prospective upgrades. Team officials have studied possible trades but don't expect to make any deals before the NFL's Oct. 14 trade deadline.

The best TE we have is on the practice squad in Kevin Ware, who reportedly runs a 4.67 forty, but it will take him about a year to learn all the plays and move ahead of Flemister and Royal.

The knock on Royal by college scouts was that although he had good hands, he was slow as an hourglass, running a 4.97 forty.

If we sign Chamberlin we will only be "renting" a TE for a season, as this will be an area of upgrade in 2004. And we can't afford to pay him much above the minimum, because the Skins are only $2.19 Mil below the cap as of Sept. 30. :)

I could honestly care less about TEs, especially in our offense, but no reason not to at least take a look at the guy. He had a phenomenal year two years ago. But whew! TWENTY pounds overweight....ugh.

I personally like Royal, as much as I can like or care about TEs. I thought he showed some real flash in preseason last year before he got injured. Flemister is nothing. Hey, why not bring the guy in for a look. Certainly couldn't hurt.

Anyone see that Saints game? Good thing we didn't give Conwell $8 mil!

I could honestly care less about TEs, especially in our offense, but no reason not to at least take a look at the guy. He had a phenomenal year two years ago. But whew! TWENTY pounds overweight....ugh.

Though I think its commonly known the Spurrier has never been big on the TE being a offenisive option, I think just dismissing the position is the wrong move. Fact is that Spurrier's offense really come down to mismatches and creating opportunites. Adding a TE that could be a threat seriously could improve our options on offense....namely because the defense would have to respect the position......which is hardly the case now. Granted he needs to get back in shape, but if the price is right......a TE with his ability could definatly help later in the year when the playoff race is in full gear.

Who here really thinks that by the time he gets in here and learns the offense, and gets in shape he's going to make a difference?

Thats why I said this....

Granted he needs to get back in shape, but if the price is right......a TE with his ability could definatly help later in the year when the playoff race is in full gear.

Archived