Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A meaningful discussion on The Religious Society of Friends (AKA Quakerism)

SnyderShrugged

SS, we all have a long way to go getting over our biases and pre-judgements. I was trying to write some of that into my blog this week.

About Quakers, I know very little. I read (or rather heard through an audio book) the book, Rough Crossings http://www.amazon.com/Rough-Crossings-British-American-Revolution/dp/B002IKLNJ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346346581&sr=8-1&keywords=rough+crossings. It had a part in it talking about those who pushed for an end of slavery in the U.S. and in England. The Quakers were no small players in the movement in England and in the U.S. For example, they were major pushers of the having the abolition of slavery written into the Constitution when it was drafted.

The interesting part to my mind was the counter arguments about how the economies would wither away without slavery. At the time, those pushing for an end of slavery were stereotyped as liberals from the universities, and those for keeping the status quo were portrayed as business men. The irony was the Quakers pushing for an end of slavery were quite successful businessmen.

SS, we all have a long way to go getting over our biases and pre-judgements. I was trying to write some of that into my blog this week.

About Quakers, I know very little. I read (or rather heard through an audio book) the book, Rough Crossings http://www.amazon.com/Rough-Crossings-British-American-Revolution/dp/B002IKLNJ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346346581&sr=8-1&keywords=rough+crossings. It had a part in it talking about those who pushed for an end of slavery in the U.S. and in England. The Quakers were no small players in the movement in England and in the U.S. For example, they were major pushers of the having the abolition of slavery written into the Constitution when it was drafted.

The interesting part to my mind was the counter arguments about how the economies would wither away without slavery. At the time, those pushing for an end of slavery were stereotyped as liberals from the universities, and those for keeping the status quo were portrayed as business men. The irony was the Quakers pushing for an end of slavery were quite successful businessmen.

Thanks for that link! It sounds like one i should read. I definitely have to admit that it seems throughout history, the Quakers have been on the "right" side more often tha n not in moral, political, and even common sense issues.

back in my neo-con days, I saw their anti-war stance as nothing more than Cindy Sheehanish, but in reading their long term pacifism stance throughout history, I respect them even more when combined with my more loberty minded ways of today,.

Scientologists is one group that I havent had any interaction with yet, actually the Mormons and the Amish (and Menonites ) are the ones whom I have had the most exposure to

That's probable best. Scientology is definitely non christian, litigious, and even disturbing group.

Thanks for that link! It sounds like one i should read. I definitely have to admit that it seems throughout history, the Quakers have been on the "right" side more often tha n not in moral, political, and even common sense issues.

back in my neo-con days, I saw their anti-war stance as nothing more than Cindy Sheehanish, but in reading their long term pacifism stance throughout history, I respect them even more when combined with my more loberty minded ways of today,.

They're a bunch of flannel wearing peace mongers who have done very well in business as a whole and although are very liberal in a lot of ways, sit fairly conservatively on a few other points. I think you'd like it.

They're a bunch of flannel wearing peace mongers who have done very well in business as a whole and although are very liberal in a lot of ways, sit fairly conservatively on a few other points. I think you'd like it.

I meant to ask KB, are you a practicing Quaker currently? (If not, what caused you to stop?) If this is too personal of a question, I understand if you would prefer not to answer.

I meant to ask KB, are you a practicing Quaker currently? (If not, what caused you to stop?) If this is too personal of a question, I understand if you would prefer not to answer.

I am about as anti religion worship as you'll ever find. It infuriates me. I don't know why. I'm a sure footed atheist though. That said, I have occasionally gone back to meetings over the years, when I needed a sense of community or strength from the energy from a positive group. I would have been to a few in the last 9 months, but there isn't any on island, so I've gone to the beach and hung with thousand pound turtles. lol. I've also gone to volunteer organizations and done clean ups and charity stuff, including the dog walking I really like. It's the same feeling I use to get from meeting. Protesting for a good cause, volunteering while helping others (anything living) and going to meeting have always been sources of strength for me. I've never found that peace, calm and center at an over priced church, with a no it all preacher hypocritically telling me what to do and surrounded by a slew of overly dressed *******s, trying to out do each other and see who can be the best at their respective religion. I've been to a lot of different churches and always felt that way. Even the Unitarians had a sense of that as compared to the Quakers. I hope this helped. I know I'm not everybody.

I also like the Jews. :)

Archived