Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR 24-7.com: With Injuries to Starters Mounting, Has Mike Shanahan Neglected the Offensive Line?

KCClybun

Does anybody else here wish we had drafted a tackle instead of Cousins about rite now? Just wondering? would that be considered neglect, or just stupidity?

I would say that you'd have to look at what was available in the draft before you come to a conclusion on that. Would you expect a 4th round rookie tackle to come in and start this year?

I would say that you'd have to look at what was available in the draft before you come to a conclusion on that. Would you expect a 4th round rookie tackle to come in and start this year?

Well I certainly dont expect Cousins to start this year - and hopefully ever? Center / gaurd / or tackle - I mean its going to be alittle musical chairs - and didnt Hurt start some games last year as a rookie? I would much rather have depth on the o-line rite now than a third string qb - yes yes yes and yes.

Does anybody else here wish we had drafted a tackle instead of Cousins about rite now? Just wondering? would that be considered neglect, or just stupidity?

I'll ask you again, because you keep ducking this with excuses about "not being able to look it up"; who would you have drafted instead that was going to come in and start?

Well I certainly dont expect Cousins to start this year - and hopefully ever? Center / gaurd / or tackle - I mean its going to be alittle musical chairs - and didnt Hurt start some games last year as a rookie? I would much rather have depth on the o-line rite now than a third string qb - yes yes yes and yes.

Whether or not Cousins would start is immaterial. Who was available to draft on Oline?

I'll ask you again, because you keep ducking this with excuses about "not being able to look it up"; who would you have drafted instead that was going to come in and start?

Im not ducking anything - as I try to feed my five year old daughter and post I will also try to look up this past draft and give you names! Are you really going to sit there and tell me that from the Cousins pick on that there was not one - one - offensive lineman in the entire draft worth picking? Because that is what you are implying by asking me to name names!

---------- Post added August-1st-2012 at 06:56 PM ----------

Whether or not Cousins would start is immaterial. Who was available to draft on Oline?

Pick 102 - Cousins

Pick 108 - Phillip Blake - Center - Baylor (think RG-3 might have a connection with him?

Pick 112 - Bobby Massie - Tackle - 6'6 - 316 -

only had to look at 10 picks from Cousins to see two Id rather have - shall I go on?

Im not ducking anything - as I try to feed my five year old daughter and post I will also try to look up this past draft and give you names! Are you really going to sit there and tell me that from the Cousins pick on that there was not one - one - offensive lineman in the entire draft worth picking? Because that is what you are implying by asking me to name names!

Don't get so salty. Quite frankly, I don't really care if you're feeding your daughter or washing your car or performing neurosurgery while you're posting. I expect that, when people say "we should've done this", that they back up their claims with some sort of answer as to who would be better.

So far, I've only had one guy name a single guy who we should draft. And I appreciate that he did that, because at least then we can debate the merits of other guys. But when you walk in and say some **** like "Oh, is it stupidity or neglect that we didn't take another lineman?" and I ask you who else would you take, don't get salty with me because you don't have an answer to the question.

I don't think it was stupid to take Cousins. I think it would've been dumber to take four linemen and then have to suffer threw an offseason with John Beck as our back-up, or have some veteran guy have the misguided belief that he was competing for a starting job. You take four linemen and you have to cut someone you like, and it likely wouldn't be Jammal Brown.

It is not my fault you don't have an easily accessible answer to the question. I figured someone so adamant that there was somewhere else we should've taken would have someone in mind. Silly me.

I only had 30 seconds to spare - I found two guys Id be interested in having in camp rite now other than Cousins

Pick 102 - Cousins

Pick 108 - Phillip Blake - Center - Baylor (think RG-3 might have a connection with him?

---------- Post added August-1st-2012 at 07:01 PM ----------

Don't get so salty. Quite frankly, I don't really care if you're feeding your daughter or washing your car or performing neurosurgery while you're posting. I expect that, when people say "we should've done this", that they back up their claims with some sort of answer as to who would be better.

So far, I've only had one guy name a single guy who we should draft. And I appreciate that he did that, because at least then we can debate the merits of other guys. But when you walk in and say some **** like "Oh, is it stupidity or neglect that we didn't take another lineman?" and I ask you who else would you take, don't get salty with me because you don't have an answer to the question.

I don't think it was stupid to take Cousins. I think it would've been dumber to take four linemen and then have to suffer threw an offseason with John Beck as our back-up, or have some veteran guy have the misguided belief that he was competing for a starting job. You take four linemen and you have to cut someone you like, and it likely wouldn't be Jammal Brown.

It is not my fault you don't have an easily accessible answer to the question. I figured someone so adamant that there was somewhere else we should've taken would have someone in mind. Silly me.

Dude you are the essence of salty.............and I just gave you two -

---------- Post added August-1st-2012 at 07:03 PM ----------

Also for someone so in tune to what the Redskins are doing Rex Grossman is our back up not John Beck -

---------- Post added August-1st-2012 at 07:08 PM ----------

stop combing the internet for dirt on Massie and Blake - you should have this knowledge at your fingertips - come on man ?

Pick 102 - Cousins

only had to look at 10 picks from Cousins to see two Id rather have - shall I go on?

Pick 102 - Cousins

Yeah, Massie was talked about during the draft and a few days after. He's not a zone guy. He has very little lateral agility. Blake is pretty much the same way. No lateral quickness. He'll also be 27 in November this year. You'll notice that Blake went to a power running team, the Jets.

And yeah, do go on. I'd love to see it.

Pick 102 - Cousins

Pick 112 - Bobby Massie - Tackle - 6'6 - 316

Oh yeah. Bobby Massie. I forgot him.

Oh wait. No. No I didn't.

3.) What fourth round offensive lineman was so good that he’d be able to easily slide in and start at right tackle and replace Jammal Brown? And I can almost hear the name “Bobby Massie” on the tip of someone’s tongue right now, but the Ole Miss product 1.) wasn’t a fit for out scheme, and 2.) at this point, he’s still not a shoe-in to start for the team that did draft him, which is much more of a power, man blocking scheme.

And the same thing with Phillip Blake. Who, first and foremost, wasn't exactly a stellar offensive lineman on a Baylor team that routinely got Robert Griffin III killed after about 2 seconds. But Blake also is more a straight, man blocking, physical guy, who is mostly heavy footed and not suited to playing center in our scheme. To top it off, centers who are that tall tend to have problems bending and getting leverage on opposing d-linemen. See; Eric Cook, who is the same size and weight. (And I say this to prove that I'm not exactly thrilled about the prospect of all our o-linemen playing.)

About the only guy who I think could've been a fit is Donald Stevenson out of Oklahoma. But he was hardly a shoe-in to be great either. But I'll gift everyone the freebie and say if there was a guy who was there that we could've drafted, it would be Stevenson. But really, I could flip a coin on that one, since I've never been as ticked about the Cousins pick as others have been.

Yeah, Massie was talked about during the draft and a few days after. He's not a zone guy. He has very little lateral agility. Blake is pretty much the same way. No lateral quickness. He'll also be 27 in November this year. You'll notice that Blake went to a power running team, the Jets.

He has more lateral agility than Brown - lol

Oh yeah. Bobby Massie. I forgot him.

Oh wait. No. No I didn't.

And the same thing with Phillip Blake. Who, first and foremost, wasn't exactly a stellar offensive lineman on a Baylor team that routinely got Robert Griffin III killed after about 2 seconds. But Blake also is more a straight, man blocking, physical guy, who is mostly heavy footed and not suited to playing center in our scheme. To top it off, centers who are that tall tend to have problems bending and getting leverage on opposing d-linemen. See; Eric Cook, who is the same size and weight. (And I say this to prove that I'm not exactly thrilled about the prospect of all our o-linemen playing.)

About the only guy who I think could've been a fit is Donald Stevenson out of Oklahoma. But he was hardly a shoe-in to be great either. But I'll gift everyone the freebie and say if there was a guy who was there that we could've drafted, it would be Stevenson. But really, I could flip a coin on that one, since I've never been as ticked about the Cousins pick as others have been.

How about Zebrie Sanders - ? good agility - very quick for his size - excels in pass protection (perfect for a rookie qb)??? whats your beef with him?

Obviously not, because we took two of them ourselves after the cousins pick.

Let me help you out, since Massie will be your first choice: he's a horrible fit for the ZBS.

Edit: I just learned to never let a post sit for ten minutes before posting. Someone will beat you to your point!

I remember Bobbie Massie and B Mosely being on alot of guys wishlists. KC surprised the hell out of me.

But just look where those guys did end up; Massie ended up with the Cardinals, who are straight up, man blocking team, and Mosely ended up with the Giants, who I guess can described as being somewhere in between, since they do have some ZBS concepts, but mostly like the bigger, man blocking lineman as well.

He has more lateral agility than Brown - lol

Yeah, at this point you're probably right. Look, I get it. The more young guys we have in here to compete the better.I know where you're coming from. I'm just saying that Shanny knows Oline and he decided to go with Cousins instead. He's got all the available information. We just have what ever we can scour from the internet or hear from any number of analysts. For instance there were guys upset that we let Jeremy Jarmon go last year. He was supposed to be this great talent that we could stick in at DE. Well, we got a WR for Jarmon that led our team and Jarmon didn't even play ball last year. I don't even think he's on a team right now. Shanahan had more information than any of us fans did on him and made a good call by letting him go elsewhere. I think we just need to apply that here. He did draft some Oline. He just didn't draft one in round 4 for whatever reason. We'll never really know why, but I'm pretty certain it wasn't some big brain fart on his part.

Zebrie Sanders, Senio Kelemete?

How about Zebrie Sanders - ? good agility - very quick for his size - excels in pass protection (perfect for a rookie qb)??? whats your beef with him?

Our team worked very close to Sanders at the Senior Bowl. Sanders struggled all week in Senior Bowl practice, then struggled some more in the actual Senior Bowl game. Then he had a pretty pedestrian Combine, where he only put up 28 reps on the bench press, and then he wasn't exactly stellar in his post-Combine interview with teams.

Sanders fell for a reason. Most mocks had him as a mid-to-late 2nd or early third round pick, but he slipped all the way to the 5th. Typical athletic but raw kid.

Next please.

---------- Post added August-1st-2012 at 07:28 PM ----------

Senio Kelemete?

Kelemete is another straight up man blocking guy. Once again, pay attention to where he went; Cardinals. Straight foward, power running, man blocking team.

Yeah, at this point you're probably right. Look, I get it. The more young guys we have in here to compete the better.I know where you're coming from. I'm just saying that Shanny knows Oline and he decided to go with Cousins instead. He's got all the available information. We just have what ever we can scour from the internet or hear from any number of analysts. For instance there were guys upset that we let Jeremy Jarmon go last year. He was supposed to be this great talent that we could stick in at DE. Well, we got a WR for Jarmon that led our team and Jarmon didn't even play ball last year. I don't even think he's on a team right now. Shanahan had more information than any of us fans did on him and made a good call by letting him go elsewhere. I think we just need to apply that here. He did draft some Oline. He just didn't draft one in round 4 for whatever reason. We'll never really know why, but I'm pretty certain it wasn't some big brain fart on his part.

obviously shanny is doing things for a reason - I for one wasnt upset about Jarmon - im generally not upset with this regime - I think they are maybe "neglecting" the oline a little and that the Cousins pick would have been better served with any of the guys i have mentioned amont others - thats all

Obviously not, because we took two of them ourselves after the cousins pick.

Let me help you out, since Massie will be your first choice: he's a horrible fit for the ZBS.

Edit: I just learned to never let a post sit for ten minutes before posting. Someone will beat you to your point!

I was referring to picking one in the cousins spot instead of cousins -

---------- Post added August-1st-2012 at 07:57 PM ----------

Our team worked very close to Sanders at the Senior Bowl. Sanders struggled all week in Senior Bowl practice, then struggled some more in the actual Senior Bowl game. Then he had a pretty pedestrian Combine, where he only put up 28 reps on the bench press, and then he wasn't exactly stellar in his post-Combine interview with teams.

Sanders fell for a reason. Most mocks had him as a mid-to-late 2nd or early third round pick, but he slipped all the way to the 5th. Typical athletic but raw kid.

Next please.

---------- Post added August-1st-2012 at 07:28 PM ----------

Kelemete is another straight up man blocking guy. Once again, pay attention to where he went; Cardinals. Straight foward, power running, man blocking team.

Do me a favor NLC1054. I want you to google search this.........is senio kelemete a zone blocker? - please do it and read any of the number of articles by experts who believe it or not do know more than you. Do this before you respond. No offense but you come across as a real know it all. You couldnt be more wrong about Kelemete being a strait up man blocking guy. Do you really think the nfl is so black and white - these coaches dont coach? nobody learns anything new in the nfl? just because he went to the Cardinals he is a man blocking guy? false. wrong. not true.

Archived