Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shall we NFC East - June predictions comments and concerns

bedlamVR

The Giants don't get the respect of most teams that win superbowls so close together because both times they were unspectacular in the regular season and got hot at the right time. Of course such things happen to all teams once in awhile but it's a trend for the Giants. A #5 seed and 9-7 division winner are not going to collectively inspire loads of awe and reverence. On top of that the Giants are generally not very consistent from year to year. Only once in Coughlin's eight years with the GIants have they had back-to-back 10-win seasons. Over the past three years their regular season record is 27-21 and they've scored 16 more points, total, than their opponents. So while the Giants have proven that they are capable of getting hot when it matters, I wouldn't count on them to do it every year, and I wouldn't expect a particularly impressive regular season. Even when they do have a great year these days, it's pretty much only in the playoffs.

As far as the Redskins go, I don't expect anyone to predict 2012 to be our year. I certainly don't. Rookie QBs do struggle. That's not something the media made up for us.

The Giants don't get the respect of most teams that win superbowls so close together because both times they were unspectacular in the regular season and got hot at the right time. Of course such things happen to all teams once in awhile but it's a trend for the Giants. A #5 seed and 9-7 division winner are not going to collectively inspire loads of awe and reverence. On top of that the Giants are generally not very consistent from year to year. Only once in Coughlin's eight years with the GIants have they had back-to-back 10-win seasons. Over the past three years their regular season record is 27-21 and they've scored 16 more points, total, than their opponents. So while the Giants have proven that they are capable of getting hot when it matters, I wouldn't count on them to do it every year, and I wouldn't expect a particularly impressive regular season. Even when they do have a great year these days, it's pretty much only in the playoffs.

As far as the Redskins go, I don't expect anyone to predict 2012 to be our year. I certainly don't. Rookie QBs do struggle. That's not something the media made up for us.

I totally agree with the sentiments on the Giants . I also don't think this is the Redskins year, and totally agree with that too - but I do add this cavet . I think the Skins are in a better position than a lot of teams drafting thier QB of the future .

If you look at it from the way the roster is set . On the offensive line the OLT Williams is in his 3rd year and has shown flashes of being excellent left tackle, Other spots in the line there are questions, sure OLG and ORT look like they will be getting new players phased in but if Lich and Brown can play then the line is at least solid .

RGIII will have established and reliable people to throw at in Davis and possibly Cooley and Helu comming out the back field at every rookies favorite position (TE) and those players can make mismatches .

At WR, no there is no WOW no.1. type WR everyone craves but there is a good group of guys who could be in that 2/3rd mold who could, if chemistry is quick to develop give RGIII lots of options .

The final thing is the defense . For the 3-4 to work you want studs at the OLB possitions and Kerrigan and Orakpo are really good propects . Rak in particular is understated in a division full of pass rushers, people do not appreciate how he has grown in other aspects of his game . Sure we have major questions in the secondary, but I am fine with Hall in zone and manning up and in the slot and Wilson had a quiet and efficient year ... the bottom line is I think this unit is good enough to keep the team in games and if the offense can take even a small step forwards then we could surprise people .

RG3 is still a rookie and I fear his ball security especially his propensity in the past to cough it up following sacks ... and the Gmen defense especially thrive on that kind of thing ..the strip sack ... and the defenses he will face will be very tough - just generally in the NFL ...so i am not getting my hopes up but I do see a ray of light

I am still predicting us at a maximum 3rd and most probably 4th in the division but I can also see the NFCEST sending 3 teams from the division to the playoffs - so being 3rd in the NFCEast could be a massive boost .

... most of the major parts of the team are on the wrong side of 30 or getting close to it . ...

I would disagree that the "major parts" of the Boys are over 30 or age will likely cause for a slipping in their performance this year.

Coleman 33 - He will be rotating in on the DLine and may not even make the 53 man roster

Romo sits to pee 32 - coming of arguably his finest season. He has 3-4 yrs left.

Witten 30 - I don't think he will be flirting with 100 catches as he did 2-3 yrs ago but he is still going to produce at a level most teams would dearly love from their TE.

Livings (OL) 30 - not even sure he starts but 30 isn't ancient for an OL

Ratliff 30 - I expect they will finally get him fewer snaps this year but still produces well

Ware 29 (30 next month) voted #6 best player so I don't think 30 is a problem for him

Sensabaugh 29 - marginal safety who just needs to play decently until he is gone next year

Spears 29 - there will be increased rotations this year to relieve him/Rat/Coleman

Off this list, I would consider Romo sits to pee, Witten, Ware & Ratliff to be "major parts" of this years team.

Romo sits to pee and Ware are at their prime, Witten isn't but is still going to produce good numbers, and Ratliff should finally get fewer reps to maximize his efficiency,

Other "Major Parts"

RB- Murray 24/Jones 25

WR- Austin 27/ Bryant 23

LT- Smith 21

ILB - Lee 25

CB- Claiborne 22/ Carr 26

OLB- Spencer 28

Other than DL which is a heavily rotated unit, age/decreasing performance should not be a problem for this squad.

Ware 29 (30 next month) voted #6 best player so I don't think 30 is a problem for him

Michael Strahan's age 30 season was the one where he broke the single season sack record. After that year, he only had one more season in his career where he had more than 11.5 sacks.

Michael Strahan's age 30 season was the one where he broke the single season sack record. After that year, he only had one more season in his career where he had more than 11.5 sacks.

True, but that one season was the second highest total of his career with 18.5. Also Ware has been a fair bit more successful at rushing the passer before turning 30 than Strahan was.

You know, I would be mad that we're so low, but when I see the Giants, I don't feel so bad. hahah. Superbowl winners, yet judging by analysts, you would think Green Bay, the Eagles, and Saints had a 3 way tie in the superbowl. No one else get's respect....

And I found it funny that the other day the Sirius hosts said that Philly is actually MORE hyped this year than last year. Everyone just says "Oh, they couldn't live up to the hype last year, BUT THIS YEAR THERE'S NO HYPE! SUPERBOWL!"

As for the Skins, what do we expect? Year after year we say the predictions are wrong, and year after year the predictions are damn close. No one wants to take a risk on us anymore. This year I think we'll beat the predictions, but I thought the same thing last year. lol.

Archived