Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

In the debate of whether to get a QB through FA or the Draft the answer is simple: Do Both.

HeluCopter29

As we go into 2012 with our QB situation still unresolved there are multiple different thought processes of how to go about getting our next QB. The two major ones seem to be via FA or the Draft with the stick with Rex group present but not that loud.

I on the other hand have a different idea entirely. Get two QB's. One in the draft and one via FA.

First off, we have a lot of cap room. In past years we had to worry about the cap because we were so close to the cap. Not this year. We're 30+ million under and could be as many as 40. In past years we could not have done this but thanks to the rookie pay scale we can afford to this year. In addition we have 49 guys under contract. I don't think any of us can think of a big name player besides maybe Bowe/VJax/Colston that we need and even then there's debate on whether we should sign them. I think we're all pretty happy with most of the roster and anyone else we do sign we'll probably get from the bargain bin anyway so we won't need that much money.

There are numerous benefits to having two QB's on the roster.

The first is that there's obvious competition which will bring out the best in both players.

Second is that it gives us options. Let's say we get RGIII and he sucks. Well then what do we do. We're stuck with him now and we just have to get someone else 5 years later and we still have no results.

Third, if we don't get RGIII in the draft then what do we do? I know I can't stomach another year of Rex.

There's no real negatives to having a Flynn/RGIII or better yet a Manning/RGIII on the roster or another combo. Like I said in past years we wouldn't have been able to this financially and this year we can. There's no real strong negatives. Any veteran we sign would at least be helpful on the sideline (and a good backup). There's no negatives here. Let's do both.

Hail!!!

You plan is not realistic in my opinion. At least not Manning/Griffin or even Flynn/Griffin. If you plan on drafting Griffin, you don't sign Manning or Flynn to big money deals. You use the picks you have to complement that player. In the salary cap era, you don't keep two high priced QBs and you don't waste some of your best assets (a high first rounder) when you just signed a high priced free agent at the same position.

Although Rex is not signed for next year, people do not give him credit for what he is. A respectable back-up. He'll likely stay. He should not start, meaning either the team signs someone (Manning/Flynn) or drafts someone. Now it does not prevent the team from signing a stop gap like Kyle Orton and then drafting a guy like Nick Foles. It's sort of the double medicore - mediocre free agent with a mediocre draft pick. If you're talking about getting two QBs of that caliber, then that's fine. But it's not realistic to get an elite free agent and an elite draft picks. It's got to be one or the other.

You plan is not realistic in my opinion. At least not Manning/Griffin or even Flynn/Griffin. If you plan on drafting Griffin, you don't sign Manning or Flynn to big money deals. You use the picks you have to complement that player. In the salary cap era, you don't keep two high priced QBs and you don't waste some of your best assets (a high first rounder) when you just signed a high priced free agent at the same position.

Although Rex is not signed for next year, people do not give him credit for what he is. A respectable back-up. He'll likely stay. He should not start, meaning either the team signs someone (Manning/Flynn) or drafts someone. Now it does not prevent the team from signing a stop gap like Kyle Orton and then drafting a guy like Nick Foles. It's sort of the double medicore - mediocre free agent with a mediocre draft pick. If you're talking about getting two QBs of that caliber, then that's fine. But it's not realistic to get an elite free agent and an elite draft picks. It's got to be one or the other.

I agree that Rex is a respectable backup and I actually want him on the team this year.

If it's unrealistic, it's unrealistic because players won't want to sign with us. Salary wise, as I said, we're fine. RGIII will only cost us $5-7 million this year thanks to the rookie pay scale. If we can sign another guy I don't see why not. Even if it is at $8M per year.

Archived