Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Offical Who's the new head coach of Penn St. Thread (UPDATE NEW SHORT LIST SEE POST 15)

skinsforlife101

How would a politician's announcement that he would raise the retirement age for SS/Medicare, affect  

43 members have voted

1. 1. How would a politician's announcement that he would raise the retirement age for SS/Medicare, affect

• I'd be more likely to vote for him.
    • It wouldn't affect my vote much
    • I'd be less likely to vote for him.
    • I think he would gain more votes than he loses
    • I don't think it would affect the election much
    • I think it would cost him more votes than he gains

This seems like a situation totally beyond what a first-time head coach could possibly deal with. O'Brien just looks like a temporary hire that is going to get blown out after going, say, 15-22 in three years.

I think you're right.

Seems like a lot of the people they were reportedly interested in, didn't have any real interest back, and they've ended up going with a guy who can basically be the sacrificial lamb for the program over the next 3 years or so, or whenever things settle down.

It'd be tough enough to follow in Joe Paterno's footsteps to begin with, especially if you weren't a former "Penn State guy" yourself, but once the trial gets going and the Sandusky stuff is all over the cable news outlets, ESPN, Nancy Grace, etc., that'll provide even more of a headache.

Add in Urban Meyer setting up shop with a killer staff at Ohio State....bringing in a guy like O'Brien to just fill the HC role for a little bit probably won't matter much in the long run for the program.

There's not really much to say about BOB. He's an unknown commodity.

I'm a big fan of Belichick and I don't think you get on his staff for having low football IQ. With that said, it takes so much more to win at any level than just domain knowledge. Charlie Weiss was too arrogant and rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. He didn't know how to make nice with the boosters. Crennel, well who can win in Cleveland? McDaniel, the other guy, and O'Brien are just too "green".

I've maintained a hopeful optimism for the football team in that BOB can get us to some bowl games since we've had some decent recruiting classes the past few years. Get past the trial and hope that recruits don't hold it against you too much. I think we have 4 classes worth of decent recruits, so hopefully the program keeps some semblance of success and can maintain a good recruiting foothold.

People seem concerned about OSU, but it wasn't like Tressel wasn't raiding PA already for recruits and Tressel wasn't exactly a no-name coach so it's a "same as it ever was" situation with Ohio State.

Archived