Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins/Jets: Official ES WRs Discussion Thread – or Why Our WRs R Winning (Charlie Sheen tongue twister edition)

charlie-sheen-winning-tshirt.jpg

Well, “winning” compared to past Skins WR units anyway.

Starting this thread early cuz I'm not sure if I'll be able to start it up around or during the game...We are seeing a small but definite uptick in WR production that could be signaling the beginning to an actual upgrade of the WR unit as compared to the Skins teams of the past seven years.

Receptions and TDs per game, WRs:

2011: 10.5 catches and 0.7 TDs per game

2010: 10.1 catches and 0.6 TDs per game

2009: 10.9 catches and 0.4 TDs per game

2008: 9.9 catches and 0.7 TDs per game

2007: 10.0 catches and 0.4 TDs per game

2006: 7.7 catches and 0.6 TDs per game

2005: 8.3 catches and 0.6 TDs per game

And it’s not at the expense of TE production:

Receptions per game, TEs:

2011: 6.3

2010: 6.3

2009: 5.1

2008: 5.9

2007: 4.6

2006: 3.8

2005: 5.7

The one area that the Skins’ passing game is lacking this year is in touchdowns by TEs.

Now let's compare this year’s WR averages to that of the Packers…

Ok, don’t do that :ols:…that would hardly be fair, would it? ;)

So let’s compare the Skins’ WR production to, say, the Falcons (whose passing offense is currently ranked #11)

Redskins: 10.5 catches and 0.7 TDs per game

Falcons: 12 catches and 0.6 TDs per game

Redskins TEs: 6.3 catches/game

Falcons TEs: 6.1 catches/game

(again, our touchdown production by TEs is seriously lacking this year, especially compared to that of the Falcons)

But I know, I know…the Skins are throwing a helluva lot more than a team like the Falcons due to always being behind.

Falcons: 395 passing attempts

Redskins: 402 passing attempts

And this is with Santana Moss missing four games, and with Rex Grossman and John Beck throwing the ball…not Matt Ryan. While Grossman isn't exactly JaMarcus Russell or anything, I do feel that, for once, the WRs are helping to make up some for of the slack at the QB position. And Kyle's passing scheme helps them out as well :yes:...

The Jets currently have the best passing defense the Skins have faced—and probably will face—all season. It will be interesting to see how this group of WRs do going up against them.

*This cherry-picking stat thread brought to you by Ronco "Home of the Pocket Fisherman" and its subsidiaries.

I hope this games kills the thought of going into next season with Gaffney & Moss as two of our top three wrs. The Jets manned us up because they had no fear of our receivers ability to beat them. I like the idea of Hankerson on one side and EITHER Moss or Gaffney as a possession guy. We don't have our other outside wr IMO. This team needs somebody with speed on the outside otherwise teams will bring their safeties closer & closer to the line.

---------- Post added December-5th-2011 at 03:02 AM ----------

Figure the one time I choose to praise the WRs they lay an egg lol :doh:

Moss is the only WR with a reception so far...can't tell if they're struggling getting open against the Jets secondary or if Grossman isn't seeing them.

Moss also had a couple of bad drops. Don't know what the deal was with him.....

Am I the only one who noticed Moss had two key drops late in the 4th quarter?

Gaffney was nowhere to be seen., probably due to Revis and Cromartie.

Honestly, can we just play Austin and Paul the rest of the way? I just want to see if they are worth keeping around. Especially Austin. Is love to grab Broyles in the draft and give him Austin/Stallworth's spot.

I liked that Paul got a look in the Red Zone, even if it was overthrown. He still ran a route in the RZ. He's the type of tough, physical, YAC receiver we need across from Hankerson, with Moss in the slot. I'd love for those two guys to win the outside WR jobs next training camp.

This WR core is terrible c'mon man do you see the coverage sacks Rex is takin, and no help from the 0-line. Man coverage and there all over them sorry for your luck Rex. Not even one of them is worth the talk. Hell with it with Davis out now for the rest of the season and Cooley gone for the season Paulsen might see some more balls coming his way and he will do his job. Not the fastest guy out there but good hands.

This WR core is terrible c'mon man do you see the coverage sacks Rex is takin, and no help from the 0-line. Man coverage and there all over them sorry for your luck Rex. Not even one of them is worth the talk. Hell with it with Davis out now for the rest of the season and Cooley gone for the season Paulsen might see some more balls coming his way and he will do his job. Not the fastest guy out there but good hands.

But you gotta respect his speed...

Archived