Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OT: Maryland Fans can feel better about their team now

Rabblerouser

What does it say about their loss to the Seminoles? I'm a huge maryland fan but they got too much hype this year and aren't as good as everyone thinks. Once the fridge gets his players in here year in and year out they'll be a good team but they're still nowhere near close to competing with FSU. With Miami and Va. Tech coming abourd the ACC next year UMD will be no better than the 4th best team in the conference.

HTTR

Perry looked as good as he's looked at any point since 2001 last night. I personally don't see him as being any better than Josh Allen except for his receiving ability out of the backfield but Fridge really seems to want Perry to get the bulk of the carries when available.

Looser talk? If the shoe fits.... Maryland had what it considered its best recruiting class ever last year and it was ranked 33 nationally. FSU has finished in the top 10 for the last 20 years..

Simply the facts... The state of Maryland dosen't produce the kind of football players Florida does...

Originally posted by RTerps2002

Simply the facts... The state of Maryland dosen't produce the kind of football players Florida does...

Well no, but Maryland has good recruiting prospects in Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, New Jersey and Pennilvania so it's not completly a fair comparison. Sure, in those states they have competition with Penn State, Virginia and WVU but FSU, UF and Miami are all competing against eachother, not too mention Georgia, Alabama and several other big-time SEC teams that recruit heavily from Florida.

There are plenty of good recruits in the area, Maryland just doesn't get enough of them, nor are they in a position to get the occasional top-tier national recruit they need yet. The addition of Miami, and V-tech will initially drop the Terps in the league but getting on TV more, especially down south, will help recruiting. If Fridge can keep the Terps going to bowl games and finishing with 9-3 or 8-4 type records the talent will improve. Right now Maryland is winning pretty much solely by scheming. FSU, NC state, and Virginia all have more talent than Maryland. That will change but it will take time.

Maryland has definatly inproved in the recruiting process because off their recent success. I am very happy for them but to compete with Miami and Florida state you need playmakers and those type of players are never going to pass up the chance to play at Miami and Florida and Fsu to come to college park its just never going to happen.

I don't know about that. Look at what programs like Kansas State and Virginia Tech have done in recent years. For that matter look at Florida. Before the ball coach got there they'd never won an SEC chamnpionship. It is possible to move into the elite. It takes some luck but it is possible. Will it happen at Maryland? Too soon to tell. It is a long process and while the top players from Florida aren't likely to come here, it is not at all inconcievable that we can get the top players from the midatlantic and northeast. Maryland is actually in a good place geographically for recruiting.

That's just it. Maryland needs to get the top prospects out of Maryland, Penn, WV and VA. If they can do that plus get the occasional national QB or WR prospect (given the system they run, not out of the question if they get the TV exposure) they can compete nationally. It'll take time and a few years of being in the mix before they could potentially be in the NC hunt (see VTech and KSU) but it is not out of the question. Frankly I"ll be happy if we can get ourselves in the ACC championship mix after the addition of VTech and Miami. On the other hand, in the conference championship mix is in the national title hunt in that company.

Originally posted by Rabblerouser

Well Terp fans you can now say that losing to the Northern Illinois Huskies wasn't such a disgrace after all. NIU just went into Tuscaloosa and beat the #21 ranked Crimson Tide in their own house.:notworthy

Hey thanks for the good news. I wanted to say that Northern Illinois was a decent team. The info you provided proves it.

Brotha

Look, losing that game was bad but lets not make too big a deal of it. It wasn't good but it wasn't THAT bad. Sure it was on fox sports net, but it was hardly the biggest game of the day and wasn't on a network broadcast or even ESPN or ESPN2. We've had a lot more exposure before and we'll still see more exposure this year. Maryland simply doesn't have the talent currently to be a big-time program. Alabama, even on probation, has a LOT more talent than the terps. The last big game Maryland was on TV for was the Peach Bowl when they SPANKED Tennessee. (That was one of the most enjoyable games I've ever attended). Maryland has a long way to go, but don't make too big a deal out of an OT loss on fox sports net.

Archived