Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pukes.com: Danny White Can Relate To Romo's Scrutiny

tr1

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/news.cfm?id=E07C373B-B7E5-EA66-9C9801E04D11217A

IRVING, Texas - Danny White is a champion.

He owns a Super Bowl XII ring that is still worn proudly today, a reminder of his early years with the Dallas Cowboys as the heir apparent to quarterback Roger Staubach and, yes, the punter, too. (Imagine Mat McBriar throwing 10-yard outs to Miles Austin and Dez Bryant.)

White was a college and World League star who began his NFL career as a backup for four years. Staubach always encouraged him to be patient, that he'd get his chance soon, that he'd be great. The Cowboys' captain played two more seasons after that 1977 championship and then handed the offense to his grateful understudy.

White indeed became one of the best players in franchise history and retired in 1988 with several team passing records, including most career touchdowns (155), single-season touchdowns (29) and single-season yards (3,980). He won two-thirds of his starts over eight seasons, including five playoff games.

Danny White is a champion, too. But to an extent, it's the ring he didn't win as a starter that overshadows his legacy in Dallas. It happens to be a franchise with exorbitant expectations for quarterbacks.

Tony Romo sits to pee hasn't met them yet. He's ringless. And lately, every cardinal quarterback trait - his leadership, his poise, his decision-making - is being questioned. Despite everything he did to keep the Cowboys competitive in the first four games this season, including two gritty wins with a fractured rib, five of his turnovers contributed largely to two maddening meltdowns against the Jets and Lions.

"When I played it was a long time ago. Quarterback in Dallas, Texas, was under a microscope. It has now become an electron microscope," White said before covering last Sunday's 34-30 loss to Detroit as an analyst for Compass Radio Network. "I can only imagine ... actually, I can't even imagine. I kind of know what I went through and that was the worst part of it for me was dealing with the criticism."

"I was my own worst critic. I knew what I needed to do."

White got close. He led the Cowboys to three straight NFC Championship Games from 1980-82. They were favored on the road in all three, and lost all three. The sting from the 1981 loss at San Francisco has mostly - repeat, mostly - subsided today, though White still contends that Dwight Clark's winning score from Joe Montana would never have been dubbed "The Catch" had he connected with Drew Pearson on the final drive. He's right.

White's final years under center were hindered by injuries, and Gary Hogeboom and Steve Pelleur separately challenged his job security. One year after his retirement, the Cowboys drafted Troy Aikman. But he kept the franchise competitive during a transitional period in the 1980s.

Romo sits to pee, too, began his career as a four-year backup. He, too, followed a Hall of Famer, though there was an 11-year gap between Aikman's last title in 1995 and Romo sits to pee's first start in 2006. His rise to stardom was a relief to fans who endured the inconsistencies of Quincy Carter, Chad Hutchinson, Clint Stoerner, Vinny Testaverde and Drew Bledsoe. Romo sits to pee has gone on to break many of White's records.

Yet three postseasons and only one win later, the natives are getting restless. When will greatness be restored to the star? Is Romo sits to pee the one to lead them?

Similar to the unwavering support Staubach and Aikman have offered No. 9 over the years, there's no question in White's mind.

"I can relate to what Tony's going through," White said, "and if I could get inside his head and tell him one thing, it's he's one of the great quarterbacks in the history of the Dallas Cowboys.

"People keep saying, 'You've got to win the big one.' Well, he doesn't have to win the big one. There are 10 other guys out there on the field and 52 on the field as a team. And everybody plays a big part in that.

"It's a cliche. The quarterback gets more credit and blame than he ever deserves."

Romo sits to pee and his teammates will return to practice Monday and begin preparing in earnest for the NFL's most recent dynasty, the New England Patriots, and its most decorated active quarterback, Tom Brady. Much of Romo sits to pee's criticism is based on the absence of a championship, which those like Brady or Drew Brees already have. The comparisons, though, are something of a compliment.

Last week, the Patriots shrugged off a 21-point blown lead and four Brady interceptions in their loss to Buffalo and won a tough cross-country game at Oakland. That's the resiliency Garrett wants from his team on Oct. 16 at Gillette Stadium.

"It's a good reminder for our football team that you've got to keep going," Garrett said.

The same is expected from their quarterback.

---------- Post added October-8th-2011 at 05:08 PM ----------

Poor Danny White...he must feel ashamed to be compared to Romo sits to pee.

:rotflmao:

BTW, I've been making this comparison for years...literally.

Archived