Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rex Grossman – Conditioning and Diminishing Ability

Destino

When Sexy Rexy showed up a little heavier than usual to camp, I really didn’t think much of it. I mean it was a shortened training camp with no OTA’s and maybe he eats when he gets nervous. My thinking was that as a professional athlete I’m sure he’ll get right back into great shape in no time. When he seemed to struggle with deep passes during the preseason I thought it was a timing issue.

Now that we have passed week 3 I’m starting to seriously wonder if conditioning should have been more heavily considered before choosing to award him the starting job.

His passes seem to be getting slower. His deep balls flutter around and can’t seem to make it to his targets. When he moves around in the pocket I swear that he looks like he struggling to start moving. With a first step that slow he couldn’t stay in front of UnWise Mike in one on one hoops, let alone deal with NFL line backers and ends. In a league where well known QBs have found a way to greatly increase their arm strength Rex showed up weaker than last season. Never known for his mobility, he showed up slower than last season.

How does this happen on a contract year?!

Worse yet I don’t think Rex’s mind has fully accepted the fact that his body isn’t right. He runs with the ball out there like a loaf of bread as if he’s really burning out there. Those watching this however would likely describe him as jogging or maybe “hurrying” towards the line of scrimmage. Sometimes he spots a wide out coming open and tries to put the ball into a tight window and it gets there so late people wonder if there ever was a window or who that pass was intended to hit.

This town is all about the backup QB and at 2-1 I’d hate to see a QB controversy … but something tells me a guy as anal about staying in shape and performance like Shanahan has to have noticed. Rex is getting a lot of time to make plays and he hasn’t been running for his life outside the Giants game. He’s just not finding them. Against the Giants he looked good. Then he struggled early against the Cards but came back well. Last night he struggled and never got it together, finally coughing the ball up while “hurrying” in the pocket with about 40 seconds left. Something about Rex is not right and it’s really going to screw up his meme’s.

Sex Cannon? **** it I’m going Deep? No longer applicable.

I don't know if it has anything to do with his conditioning, he's just physically unable to do those things anymore. This was known about going back to his days in Chi, the injuries have impacted his ability to move and in-turn make good throws to certain parts of the field.

If you look at last night, the Cowboys took the middle of the field, where Rex is the strongest, and forced him to throw to the sidelines if he wanted yards. When he had ample time to set up and deliver a throw, he was fine. But when he started moving around, trying to throw off-balance, he couldn't get the ball there. Rex was feeling the ghosts last night, and rushed a number of his reads, and his throws were hurt as a result of it.

Rex isn't fat. He's not out of shape. He's a 60% thrower right now and he manages the offense well enough when he has a strong running game to support him. The game versus Dallas sucked, but Rex is the quarterback. Period. Until Rex has a completely and utter collapse, Rex is the quarterback. Period.

No arguments, no excuses, no "I think Rex isn't quite in shape", no nothing. Rex is the quarterback unless he coughs up like seven interceptions versus the Rams or something.

Rex isn't fat. He's not out of shape. He's a 60% thrower right now and he manages the offense well enough when he has a strong running game to support him. The game versus Dallas sucked, but Rex is the quarterback. Period. Until Rex has a completely and utter collapse, Rex is the quarterback. Period.

No arguments, no excuses, no "I think Rex isn't quite in shape", no nothing. Rex is the quarterback unless he coughs up like seven interceptions versus the Rams or something.

I wouldn't be so sure. I was actually just having this exact conversation with a friend and fellow ES member, and we talked about how Shanny doesn't have a problem making a change when he feels there's someone better behind a guy (ie. Jake Plummer-Jay Cutler). Rex's physical limitations are one of the reasons Beck had such a good chance against Rex, in the first place. Beck showed he could do some good things, but is still very raw, which is why he ultimately didn't get the starting job. I wouldn't be surprised if Shanahan has been keeping a watchful eye on Beck in practices and determining if Beck may have better success in this offense.

Rex's mobility is poor due primarily to the injuries he suffered early in his career and the fact that the weight he carries just to survive the pounding he takes at QB slows him down some. He's just not a guy who is particularly built for speed at 235 pounds. The reason Rex's arm in particular appears to be very weak is because his footwork becomes terrible the moment he has to slide around in or out of the pocket and he has a tendency to throw off balance and off his back foot.

The big problem is that Rex comes out cold in games and plays too timidly until he's made a few plays and gotten in to a rhythm. Once he settles down his footwork is generally better, he steps into his throws, and he makes better decisions. I'm not sure if there's anything that can be done to fix it.

Rex is Rex. We all know his strong points.

His best throws are going to be over the middle. He can make the sideline throws, but only when he has time in the pocket, clear vision and is able to set his feet. You take away the throws in the middle, and you make it a lot harder for Rex to operate. His arm has always been average, and when you look at "arm strength", it's really about footwork and time. Rex's worse throws are when he can't get set and throws off his back foot. He can move around well enough in the pocket, but sometimes he feels that ghost rush and takes stupid chances when he doesn't have to.

That's Rex for you. I thought everyone knew what we were getting into when Rex won the job. Some good, some bad.

I don't think his conditioning has anything to do with it, nor do I think his skills are diminishing. We know what his skill set is. We have to work to his strengths, while continue to improving on his areas of weakness.

---------- Post added September-27th-2011 at 01:10 PM ----------

The big problem is that Rex comes out cold in games and plays too timidly until he's made a few plays and gotten in to a rhythm. Once he settles down his footwork is generally better, he steps into his throws, and he makes better decisions. I'm not sure if there's anything that can be done to fix it.

Exactly. I noticed this too, even dating back to last year. That first half versus the Cowboys? Pretty mediocre. But once the offense started to make some plays and start to move the ball, Rex looked like a new guy. Hell, he even moved around the pocket a couple plays and made some great throws. Giants game, same thing. Cards game, same thing. Shanahan seems to notice it too; during the Jacksonville game, we were doing well enough until Rex threw that first pick. Then he seemed to regress, and Shanahan said it was because he lost a little but of confidence.

It's not something you can really fix. The only thing you can do is just continue to execute your offense. And I think John is the same way, to be honest. Hell, I've noticed that about Matt Schaub at times.

I wouldn't be so sure. I was actually just having this exact conversation with a friend and fellow ES member, and we talked about how Shanny doesn't have a problem making a change when he feels there's someone better behind a guy (ie. Jake Plummer-Jay Cutler). Rex's physical limitations are one of the reasons Beck had such a good chance against Rex, in the first place. Beck showed he could do some good things, but is still very raw, which is why he ultimately didn't get the starting job. I wouldn't be surprised if Shanahan has been keeping a watchful eye on Beck in practices and determining if Beck may have better success in this offense.

Well i suppose the game to watch closely will be this week vs the Rams. If Rex struggles and we go 2-2 into the bye. This would be the perfect time to make the switch if you're going to do it.

I really don't think it's conditioning. Rex has never been a guy who was able to deliver the ball with zip, with velocity. He's always been immobile and he's always needed some space to cleanly step into his throws in order to deliver an accurate ball. The bottom line is he is, was and always will be rather physically limited for an NFL QB. He simply can't make even shorter throws when throwing off balance or on the run, never has been able to. His arm is not particularly strong meaning that while when he gets enough space and time he can get it far enough down field, he can't put enough velocity on it to be a consistent threat with the deep outs and corner routes. The ball floats on him too much, he's a touch passer. The Cowboys (and others will follow, I'm sure) used this to their advantage by playing inside technique, flooding the middle of the field with defenders and daring him to float the deep out out there. It's not conditioning, though, this has always been Rex, he is who he is, he is who we thought he was....a stop gap who at least knows the offense well enough to allow our youngsters to develop in it.

That's Rex for you. I thought everyone knew what we were getting into when Rex won the job. Some good, some bad..

You're right. I'm sure the coaching staff knew this as well. which is why he only got a 1 year contract. They can re him up for another season while they groom the next franchise QB.

Rex just doesnt have the Physcial tools to compete in the NFL. Smarts? Maybe. Confidence. Sure. Run away from a DE/OLB chasing him down? Nope. Make consistent deep throws? Nope. Fit a pass in a tight space? Not anymore. We are physically limited at the Quarterback position. Its a fact. You can see it on game days.

I really don't think it's conditioning. Rex has never been a guy who was able to deliver the ball with zip, with velocity. He's always been immobile and he's always needed some space to cleanly step into his throws in order to deliver an accurate ball. The bottom line is he is, was and always will be rather physically limited for an NFL QB. He simply can't make even shorter throws when throwing off balance or on the run, never has been able to. His arm is not particularly strong meaning that while when he gets enough space and time he can get it far enough down field, he can't put enough velocity on it to be a consistent threat with the deep outs and corner routes. The ball floats on him too much, he's a touch passer. The Cowboys (and others will follow, I'm sure) used this to their advantage by playing inside technique, flooding the middle of the field with defenders and daring him to float the deep out out there. It's not conditioning, though, this has always been Rex, he is who he is, he is who we thought he was....a stop gap who at least knows the offense well enough to allow our youngsters to develop in it.

Did you watch him throwing off his back foot in that Bears video? Did you see him hitting wide outs 60 yards down field with velocity? He's never been a Farve rocket launcher but he wasn't Chad Pennington either. He had "good enough" arm strength. Right now though he's looking like he may not have enough arm strength to stretch the field unless condition are damn near perfect.

---------- Post added September-27th-2011 at 01:22 PM ----------

I don't think his conditioning drastically declined in one week. :doh:

Who argued that it did?

That arm strength is nothing like what I'm seeing here. He's throwing strikes off his back foot and look at him run at 2:47 in the video.

In most of those throws he's setting up comfortably in the pocket and is stepping up into it. When he's not stepping up he's at least throwing from a good base without falling back. Remember that this is a highlight video, too. It's Rex at his absolute best and I reckon we've seen one or two plays like that since he's started in DC. Find a lowlight video of his time with the Bears and we'll have a much better understanding of Rex as a player.

As for the foot speed, Rex is 31 years old. People slow down as they age, especially QBs.

Did you watch him throwing off his back foot in that Bears video? Did you see him hitting wide outs 60 yards down field with velocity? He's never been a Farve rocket launcher but he wasn't Chad Pennington either.

He doesnt do that on a consistent basis thoough. From what I've seen, I dont believe he can make all the throws that an NFL quarterback should be able to make. He is physically inferior to all the quarterbacks in the NFC east. That an obvious fact.

In most of those throws he's setting up comfortably in the pocket and is stepping up into it. When he's not stepping up he's at least throwing from a good base without falling back. Remember that that is a highlight video, too. It's Rex at his absolute best and I reckon we've seen one or two plays like that since he's started in DC. Find a lowlight video of his time with the Bears and we'll have a much better understanding of Rex as a player.

As for the foot speed, Rex is 31 years old. People slow down as they age, especially QBs.

There are a few when he's moving backwards or throwing off his back foot. Yes I know people slow down at 31... and **** you very much for bringing that up as I sit here with a sprained ankle. lol :mad:

There are a few when he's moving backwards or throwing off his back foot.

Give me a timestamp for one or two of those plays. What I saw even on the less than perfect throws in that clip was far better than what I saw last night.

Yes I know people slow down at 31... and **** you very much for bringing that up as I sit here with a sprained ankle. lol :mad:

:ols:

Rex Grossman's lack of mobility and ball security is scary. Very scary. Right now, he has 3 interceptions and two lost fumbles vs. 5 touchdown passes. I don't know if conditioning is a factor, but when you can't outrun a defensive tackle, I'd say you are either a pretty terrible athlete or a poorly conditioned player. I was hoping to see a different Grossman, but if this continues, I'd like to see Beck moved in the lineup. I'd like to see a safer, more athletic quarterback that can at least extend a play with his legs.

I just despise how over half of any teams' fanbase is ignorant as hell when it comes to football. It's time for Beck. lol, yeah right. Rex and this team will rebound, the defense should have won the game anyway, and they didn't

If Beck didn't wilt under preseason pressure I'd be calling for him over Grossman right now (and he might be starting anyway). Unfortunately, that game showed that we'd probably have some fairly similar problems with him in.

I just despise how over half of any teams' fanbase is ignorant as hell when it comes to football. It's time for Beck. lol, yeah right. Rex and this team will rebound, the defense should have won the game anyway, and they didn't

It's time for Tom Brady! The problem is after pushing him into a van and delivering him to Ashburn... the NFL won't let him sign here.

Archived