Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Without Debate, Senate Raises Debt Ceiling by $500B

Fergasun

Yesterday I was browsing through the Congressional Record and came upon this entry for Thursday (in the Senate):

DISAPPROVAL OF THE PRESIDENT'S EXERCISE OF AUTHORITY TO INCREASE THE DEBT LIMIT--MOTION TO PROCEED -- (Senate - September 08, 2011)

This was under Senate Joint Resolution 25. If this had passed, it would've blocked Obama from raising the debt ceiling by $500B unilaterally. It did not pass, therefore the debt ceiling will get raised $500B. There was no debate, and I didn't see much in the news about this. Of course it was pretty much a done deal, given the fact that Obama would veto the resolution anyway... but still.

Spending measures are independent of the debt ceiling. The debt ceiling was about to be hit again soon, however, Congress just voted to raise it (or allow the President to raise it). There wasn't as much hollering and hooting about it as before.

I think this is much ado about nothing. An agreement on the debt ceiling is in place. This is likely a simple procedure.

I think this is much ado about nothing. An agreement on the debt ceiling is in place. This is likely a simple procedure.
One party went high-order the last time over raising the debt limit True, there was an agreement over the debt-ceiling.... but you would think those who cared about this and enabled the party to go high-order would go high-order over this themselves... yet... crickets....

Archived