Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone know anything about Jonathan Crompton?

hunterx

"Move along, nothing to see here"

As you'll note by my name and location, I live in Knoxville and went to UT. To be honest, I was a little shocked when he got drafted. His supporting cast wasn't great when he was here, but he's not an NFL QB and probably not even one with room to "develop". And believe me, I always root for ex-Vols to succeed in the pros, but some QB's have it and some don't. IMHO, Crompton "don't". Would love it if he proves me wrong, but I wouldn't bet on it.

[Niles Paul] is a big guy, runs good routes.

He's 6'0". That's not big, that's average. Gaffney and Hankerson are 6'2".

Who said he runs good routes? As an NFL receiver? I didn't think so in my limited opportunity to watch him against the Bucs. If he's been running great routes at Redskin Park, that's terrific, but other GMs aren't seeing that.

Here's what I saw against the Bucs:

• Missed TD pass from Beck, due to Beck thinking Paul was running a different route. More likely that's a rookie WR mistake.
  • Missed out pass from Clemens, a timing pattern, due to Paul jogging the out and then having to leap for the ball (too late) in tight coverage
  • Missed come-back pass from Clemens, with a ball so far off it looked like Paul messed up the route
  • Showed some nice speed cruising alongside Banks on the big TD return

I've heard that he's fast, but his 40 is 4.46. Again, not a number that's getting the attention of other GMs. Austin's 40 was 4.45.

To be clear, I'm not ragging on Niles Paul. I just think that the example of Terrence Austin is a terrific precedent. I really like how Austin has developed, and we got him free most of last year on the practice squad. Since that worked once for Austin, I thought the Skins would do the same thing again with Paul. If he's showing talent in practice, then practice squad is the right place for him this year.

The odds of Paul catching passes in 2011 are extremely remote. He's got Stallworth and Austin ahead of him at #4. If the team gets a rash of injuries, they could simply promote Paul from the practice squad.

I still give Paul about 50/50 odds to be sent down to the PS for one reason or another. The team will need his slot. Even Banks had to be bumped off the 53-man roster at one point last year. Injuries eventually prevent teams from stashing players who aren't ready. Redskins are trying to do that with 2 WRs who aren't ready (Paul, Hankerson), so something's got to give. That something is Paul.

Since it has to happen eventually, I'd rather that it happen proactively. That would keep Clemens on the roster. Later they can release Clemens if necessary for a few games, to work around injuries. No big deal for a few games, that happens a lot for certain borderline players.

I live in Vol country, watched a bunch of their games over the seasons.

Crompton is good when he's rolling out/bootlegging. That's about it. He's got the arm, but mentally/decision-making he's way off. I doubt he's still the PS QB by season's end.

I'm not sure though why some seem to actually care about the PS QB. Has there ever been a succesfull QB that started out on an NFL practice squad?

I live in Vol country, watched a bunch of their games over the seasons.

Crompton is good when he's rolling out/bootlegging. That's about it. He's got the arm, but mentally/decision-making he's way off. I doubt he's still the PS QB by season's end.

I'm not sure though why some seem to actually care about the PS QB. Has there ever been a succesfull QB that started out on an NFL practice squad?

Agree with this. Nice to see a fellow Vol on the board. Go Big Orange!

Watched a ton of Tennessee games (Bro rode the pine there). He always had a knack for throwing INTs at the most inopportune times. He's like Bad Rex without the occasional good.

Big time Rocky Top fan here, and have seen most games over the last few years and I absolutely agree. A very painful qb to watch with all the tools but nothing between the ears to make it worth anything

Archived