Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: When it comes to the offense, everything's riding on the line

themurf

montgomery082511.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

As the Washington Redskins head up the beltway to take on the Baltimore Ravens in the all-important third preseason game, it’s important to pause and reflect on the state of the franchise.

The Redskins, inexplicably, are tops in the NFL in offense and defense.

In all likelihood, that ends tonight when Washington takes on a highly-motivated Ravens team that cares a little too much* about preseason games.

*Seriously, I don’t care how you try to spin it – calling a timeout with roughly eight seconds remaining to run up the score in a blowout is bush league. The Kansas City Chiefs had every right to call Baltimore out on it and I can’t help but think that if the Redskins had pulled a stunt like that the world would have ended.

Talking heads would still be ranting and railing against the Redskins while columnists and talk radio hosts devoted an entire week to figuring out once and for all if head coach Mike Shanahan let Daniel Snyder call the play.

Make no mistake about it – Baltimore will provide a much-stiffer challenge than Pittsburgh and Indianapolis.

The Steelers were caught flat footed in the preseason opener, which is why coach Mike Tomlin put a foot in his team’s collective backside and, in related news, Pittsburgh routed Philadelphia the following week.

The Colts are a different story because, simply put, they don’t care about the preseason. With or without Peyton Manning in the lineup, Indianapolis is content to save their wins for the regular season. That’s why they’ve lost eight consecutive and 24 of their last 28 preseason games.

But for whatever reason, the Ravens really, really care about looking good during the exhibition season. It’s why head coach Jim Harbaugh kept his starters in the lineup into the third quarter last week and why Baltimore has even used trick plays during previous preseason games against Washington.

The Ravens basically feel like, “if they’re keeping score, we might as well try to win it.” So don’t think for a minute they won’t go for the kill if given the opportunity against the Redskins.

And you know what – that’s perfect. Bring it, I say.

If at all possible, I’d like to officially request that the Redskins play Baltimore in the third preseason game from now on because these players will get a lot more out of playing a highly-motivated opponent like this rather than lining up against a Colts team content to go through the motions.

There are so many new faces in the Redskins locker room that a game like this is a necessity. Head coach Mike Shanahan and his staff will learn more about the makeup of this roster in this game at Baltimore than at any other point this season.

Can John Beck really be Washington’s long-term solution at quarterback? Can he finally be the player who fills the void and ends the revolving door at football’s most important position?

Which of the running backs has what it takes to step up and claim the starting job? Will Tim Hightower continue to keep two hands on the football? Can Roy Helu, who currently ranks fourth in the league in rushing yards this preseason, continue to post solid numbers against a Ravens defense that routinely ranks among the NFL’s elite? Will Evan Royster be able to match his solid outing against the Steelers?

Which receivers will still be in town once the 53-man roster is set? Can Leonard Hankerson go one week without driving ‘Skins fans crazy after dropping routine catches? Is Brandon Banks too small to survive a full 16-game season?

And that’s just a few of the handful of questions facing the Redskins on one side of the ball. But for my money, the must-see matchup this week is Washington’s offensive line versus the Ravens’ always-aggressive defense.

Click here for the full article.

If at all possible, I’d like the officially request that the Redskins play Baltimore in the third preseason game from now on because these players will get a lot more out of playing a highly-motivated opponent like this rather than lining up against a Colts team content to go through the motions.

Great angle Murph, nice read. Very much agreed with this above statement. Right now we're riding high and tonight will be a great guage of how far along we truly are. If we come out strong tonight and impress a 3rd game in a row, my head might explode, and I'll be in the corner in the fetal position the rest of the week mumbling "championship & paloffs"...

Great angle Murph, nice read. Very much agreed with this above statement. Right now we're riding high and tonight will be a great guage of how far along we truly are. If we come out strong tonight and impress a 3rd game in a row, my head might explode, and I'll be in the corner in the fetal position the rest of the week mumbling "championship & paloffs"...

And honestly, if the Redskins lay an egg tonight, then everyone backs off their over-the-top optimism and folks stopping calling into the talk radio shows talking about a 12-win season. I might be okay with that outcome too.

And honestly, if the Redskins lay an egg tonight, then everyone backs off their over-the-top optimism and folks stopping calling into the talk radio shows talking about a 12-win season. I might be okay with that outcome too.

Oye vay. It's likely the callers would then go in the opposite direction, talking about how Shanahan needs to go, we suck, etc. And 106.7 (though I don't listen to them) would have a field day tomorrow. :doh:

Quite true. For those of us not living in the area, we're insulated from that buzz and press out here. I'm a hell of a homer and have a ton of optimism, but still a little early to even mention anything north of a 10-win expectation. As long as the offensive line continues to look like a cohesive unit by opening lanes plus protecting Rex/Beck, then I'll be ecstatic and optimistic about an opening day win.

Hail.

I'm really excited about the line this year. That zone blocking scheme will be very effective in time once the o line gels together more. If we keep Beck on his feet and keep opening those gaping holes for Torain, Hightower, and Helu...We will be a problem for a lot of teams.

I'm glad we're playing a team that's good against the run.

Imo the most important aspect of this team will be the running game.

It will be a good test how our ZBS will work against one of the better run fronts in the league.

Equally important, at least for me, this game will test how much Kyle will commit to the run. (maybe because then again it is only preseason)

Its easy to run when it 2nd and 5 or less.

But, it much harder to call a run on 2nd and 8.

A good sign came against the Colts.

Hightower runs on 1st down for a gain of 1 or 2 yards.

Kyle called another run and Hightower break off a 40+ yard run.

Last year I have my doubts about wether Kyle calls that second run last year.

HTTR-

Archived