Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DALY: This year, there is a rush to judgment

SWFLSkins

ANALYSIS/OPINION

This isn’t just the most hurried training camp in NFL history, it’s also the scariest. Why? Because when cuts are finally made, coaches will be deciding the fate of players — and, perhaps, franchises — based on only partial information.

The lockout, after all, wiped out minicamps, OTAs and every other kind of supervised work that goes on in the offseason. Heck, some veterans weren’t even allowed to begin practicing this summer until the seventh day of camp (thanks to the red tape that came with the new CBA). As a result, coaching staffs aren’t going to have nearly as much to go on when they start determining the final roster.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/aug/16/daly-this-year-there-is-a-rush-to-judgment/

Some interesting comments in this article. The don't really talk about WR which Homer's thread touched on. I think this may effect who they keep or cut. I hope they don't keep three verterans at wideout this year and not keep a young guy that in two to three years will be paired with a franchise QB-hopefully. RB is another area that the team could easily make the wrong call. Say they keep Torain and he gets hurt when he comes back, at the expense of Helu or Royster. OL is another area that they might be able to add to when other teams make the cuts they may not want to make. I think the NFL should have added two more players in the new contract, it would have been helpful for development.

I think that in a position like this there will be two major effects

1) Teams will want to keep a lot more of their own players on the Practice Squad instead of other teams. This is because they might feel that those players have more to show that there just wasnt an opportunity to see in the shortened preseason.

2) Teams with better coaches will have less errors. This one is always true anyways, but it will be even more so because there is less time for the evidence to be accumulated for each player. This means savvy coaches who have done this for a long time will probably have a better ability to grasp who to keep around and who to let go.

I would like to see Practice Squads expanded so teams don't necessarily have to totally part company with rookies they want to take a longer look at.

Like a two man developmental squad that they were tossing around at one time. I think it would help young guys who are close but can't crack the final 53.

I would like to see Practice Squads expanded so teams don't necessarily have to totally part company with rookies they want to take a longer look at.

I'd go one further,

For this season only a player drafted in the 2011 NFL draft should be protected and treated as the right of the team that drafted them, meaning in execution those players who are going to a practice squad do not get cut at all and go straight to the teams practice squad (This stops other teams from immediately signing those players away like Blount) and that the teams who drafted that rookie have the right of matching the offer that player received from another team before losing that player (Not done now).

Seems logical to me since there isn't as much evaluation time and you don't want to screw over someone else who evaluated poorly

Some factors affecting WR's and the decisions to be made....

http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/nfl/2011/08/practice-report-redskins-analysis-aug-16

1. Yes, there has to be concern over Brandon Banks’ left knee, which forced him out of practice Tuesday and will sideline him Friday. The knee has bothered him all summer and it wouldn’t be surprising if this is something that lingers for a while. There’s no way of knowing, but it’s just a bad sign for now.

5. Hankerson had another strong day. It’ll be up and down with him, but the last two days have definitely been up. He did have one bobbled pass, but he hung onto it.

What I don't get is that we don't dress 8 players every week. Is it a fiscal thing that those not dressed don't get game checks or a smaller portion? It makes no sense that we have a 53 man roster but only dress 45 or now its 46...just a stupid ass rule. If you make the team you should always be available for play....this isn't Rudy and college where you have 50 more players than can be dressed. I've never understood that rule and if its a fiscal thing that saves owners money then it should have been squashed with the new CBA.

Archived