Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Planning a trip to Australia in March 2012 need advice

SC_RedskinsFan

My Sister and I are gonna take a trip to Australia in March for 3 weeks. She is a private contractor in Afghanistan and has already put in to take leave March 2nd through the 24th. My plan is to fly from the US on the 2nd and return on the 25th.

Right now we are thinking of a week in Cairns, a week in Sydney, and a week in Melbourne. But I am open to suggestions!

I am a diver, so I will be making dives on the Great Barrier Reef.

What we need are suggestions for places to stay, eat and what we must see!!

Thanks in advance :)

Cairns and Sydney are good stuff. Be sure to fly Qantas, they give you little travel packs and food packs and all, TV's in the back of the seats, and this is for coach.

Never been to Melbourne.

Cairns - rainforest , reef. Sydney - Blue Mountains, which is nearby, is pretty good. Also visit Opera House.

I just came back from studying in Sydney for a semester. It was AMAZING. I can't wait to go back. I flew to Australia on V Australia, which had the best prices when I was going over (mid-February). Their in-flight entertainment was really good and the movies were recent releases.

IMO, the bridge climb is kind of overrated. My friends who did it said it was cool, but not worth the nearly $300 that it costs. There are other cool ways to see the harbor, and a view of the city. But hey, if that's your thing, go for it! My absolute favorite thing to do in Sydney was the Bondi to Coogee walk. It's a cliffside walk, takes about an hour, and is absolutely gorgeous. You walk along 4 beaches or so. http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/city-guides/sydney-walking-tour-3/

A week might be kind of long for Cairns, depending on what you want to do while you're up there. I was ready to go after 3-4 days. Went snorkeling one day, tubing on a river another day, and did a tour to the Atherton Tablelands another day. There isn't too much more to do there, unless you want to bungee/skydive.

Take a wine tour while you're in Melbourne or Sydney! The one I went on was really great.

I was there for 4 months, so I saw quite a bit. PM me if you want more suggestions!

My absolute favorite thing to do in Sydney was the Bondi to Coogee walk. It's a cliffside walk, takes about an hour, and is absolutely gorgeous. You walk along 4 beaches or so. http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/city-guides/sydney-walking-tour-3/

!

GREAT advice....I loved that walk. And bring binoculars..there are some sights on the beaches you might wanna check out. :)

Blue Mountains were very cool. Take advantage of the ferries in Sydney. The ferry trip to Manly Beach is a nice one.

Archived