Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moved into a new place - a couple Home-Handy-Man questions

Mickalino

A couple questions for guys who are handy around the house, which I know we have a few of here.

1 ) First, I'm attempting to install a lock on a bedroom door inside the house. But I'm stuck at the "removal of the old door knob" phase. Typically, in the past, there's been 2 screws on the door handle on side inside the room. But this particular handle has no such screws anywhere for me to remove it. Do I just pry bacl the plate that flushes against the door ? If so, what is the next step. If not, what is the "trick" to removing it ?

I've displayed photos of the knob below, so you know what type it is. One photo is from the inside, and the other is from the outside.

Then there is a 2nd problem after that, if anyone can answer it.

2-2.jpg

3-3.jpg

2 ) Also, the place I moved into has well water, as opposed to city water. And well water is also new to me. In the past, I've used Brita Water Pitcher filters, to reduce contaminants. But I'm wondering if they are of any of use to well water, because it seems like the contaminants it reduces are primarily or exclusively in city water.

For example, the water filter removes heavy metals, like Mercury/Lead/Cadmium, Chlorine products, Phramaceuticals, Microbial Cysts, Industrial Pollutants, etc. Are these typically not found in Well Water ? Just need to know if investing in a Water Filter (and all its replacements) would be a waste of money, and if I would be somewhat fine and healthy drinking the well water as is. I tried Googling with no luck.

along the edge of of the handle (by the plate)there should be a release pin/button that you depress...usually on the bottom

well water depends on the well.and varies greatly..no way to tell w/o testing Britta works fine on it

along the edge of of the handle (by the plate)there should be a release pin/button that you depress...usually on the bottom

Yeah, what he said.

Actually there is a tool they make specifically for that, but you can use a flat-head screwdriver. If simply pushing it in doesn't do it, you may need to push it and turn counter clockwise.

Archived