Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI.com-MMQB:Stat of the Week (Skins Related)

authentic

click for the rest

The draft-pick value chart, used by teams leaguewide, is at times valuable, at times maddening. The chart shows the Browns getting a slight advantage (but not a major one, as many draft analysts have said) in the 5-for-1 deal with Atlanta that netted the Falcons Julio Jones Thursday. (More about that in my Sports Illustrated draft report this week.)

Where the chart misses the mark, I believe, is for teams wanting to get great depth out of a draft. Take Washington's handling of the draft, which I thought was very good for what the Redskins wanted. At the NFL meetings a month ago, Mike Shanahan said, "We need starting players, a few of them, and we need a lot of depth.'' So when they started trading down, beginning with the 10th overall pick to number 16 with Jacksonville in the first round, I knew what they were doing. Washington started the draft with eight picks. It finished with 12. Here's how it ended up fleshing out, via the draft-pick-value chart, once the matching picks canceled each other out:

The Redskins traded the chance to get a quarterback (Blaine Gabbert went 10), but they didn't love any of the quarterbacks enough to commit long-term to them. For that 10th pick, they got defensive end Ryan Kerrigan (16), Miami wideout Leonard Hankerson (79), Nebraska running back Roy Helu (105), SMU wideout Aldrick Robinson (178) and Florida guard Maurice Hurt (217).

Will it work out? I don't know. Shanahan, I believe, didn't like the quarterbacks in this draft much more if at all than Rex Grossman and John Beck, who should be his top two guys at the start of the season -- unless the Redskins sign a veteran to compete for the job with them.

if u see it like that, then its great value. Skins need starters, but they need depth even more. If our starters go down, our team really feels the effects. GB had a TON of injuries, to depth and starters a like, and look @ what they did. Even when Rodgers was out they beat the Pats.

Good Job mike. I like our top 3 picks.

The team is getting younger and that's a great thing. About time we build some foundation in the draft. I would have liked to see the Skins select more offensive linemen to fill holes but I guess they can do that in free agency. The Jetskins landed us Thomas and he played incredibly well for a long time so hopefully we can do that again. I mean get a good player for a long time, not steal all the Jets players :)

The team is getting younger and that's a great thing. About time we build some foundation in the draft. I would have liked to see the Skins select more offensive linemen to fill holes but I guess they can do that in free agency. The Jetskins landed us Thomas and he played incredibly well for a long time so hopefully we can do that again. I mean get a good player for a long time, not steal all the Jets players :)

I guess an arguement can be made that:

1. we drafted Oline in last year's draft (Williams, Cook, Capers)

2. we can still address Oline in FA, when ever the lockout is lifted. And based on what's been thrown out there, we plan on doing just that.

Archived