Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNET: Next Bungie game to be MMO first-person shooter?

Homercles82

Bungie is working on a massively multiplayer online (MMO) first-person shooter, currently named "Destiny," gaming blog Kotaku is reporting, citing an unnamed source. The source told Kotaku that the title is built on a new graphics engine that Bungie has developed, and will live completely online. The person told the gaming blog that the title is basically a "World of Warcraft in space."

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20032827-17.html#ixzz1EF5UrzJo

This has the makings of being an epic game, and finally a real WoW killer. I am glad that it will have nothing to do with the Halo universe.

Something new to take up all our time!

Blizzard has been working on a next-gen MMO as well, code-named "Titan". Some want to believe it will be based off of the Starcraft universe. There has been speculation that it could be connected to this Bungie project, or that they could even be one and the same.

I have a feeling they are the same game.

This has the makings of being an epic game, and finally a real WoW killer. I am glad that it will have nothing to do with the Halo universe.

Something new to take up all our time!

How can you possibly call a game a real WoW killer without knowing absolutely anything about it. This game could be 5 years away for all we know. I believe Rift and SWTOR have a chance to make a large dent in WoW population but there will be no WoW killer except WoW itself, when they stop being innovative with expansions.

How can you possibly call a game a real WoW killer without knowing absolutely anything about it. This game could be 5 years away for all we know. I believe Rift and SWTOR have a chance to make a large dent in WoW population but there will be no WoW killer except WoW itself, when they stop being innovative with expansions.

Because it is by Blizzard and Bungie, plus it is another MMO, not just an RTS. I don't need to know anything about it either. People are tiring of WOW, so if they can take some of the popular mechanisms in WOW and apply them to a FPS, which more people prefer, it would be wildly popular.

You are correct to say that Rift and SWTOR will put a dent in WOW, but for how long? We have been told this about non-Blizzard MMO's for years now, and none have succeded.

Because it is by Blizzard and Bungie, plus it is another MMO, not just an RTS. I don't need to know anything about it either. People are tiring of WOW, so if they can take some of the popular mechanisms in WOW and apply them to a FPS, which more people prefer, it would be wildly popular.

You are correct to say that Rift and SWTOR will put a dent in WOW, but for how long? We have been told this about non-Blizzard MMO's for years now, and none have succeded.

I agree and that's why I added that last line. Just like when EQ was king every game that came out was going to be the EQ killer, but what killed EQ was lazy Dev's adding crap content with crap expansions.

Plus MMO + FPS doesn't just = awesome, I can't think of any FPS MMO's(I feel like I remember reading about one but can't really look stuff like that up at work) so this game could be considered an entirely new genre, it might not even appeal to your typical WoW player. Maybe they're purposely targetting non WoW players to play this as to increase their player base and revenue stream.

Really I just jumped in your shorts because ever since EQ I hated when people were like oh man game X is gonna release and it's gonna kill game Y. And I have yet to see it happen. I'll be more thna happy to wait for more information and hope that it ends up being the greatest game ever made though.

That happened with WOTLK.. And Nothing with Cata would be what I'd call innovative. Is it good? yeah I guess. Innovative? not in the least.. If anything they are dumbing down the game to the point where it's not a game anymore, it's like we're mouse pressing a button for a piece of cheese. The cheese is, Gear ultimately. but in the form of points and factions.. OOooo I'm almost exhaulted with Wildhammer yay!.. when really what have you done? Nothing but run the same dungeons, and do the same quests over and over again until you accomplish that goal.

Innovative to me would be a dynamic daily system. In this day in age with the processing and programming power at our disposal there is zero reason why anyone in an MMO should have to grind the same quests every day.. Am I saying there should be a vast amount of quests that accomplish the same thing? No but a little variety would be nice..

Taking Wildhammer for example in WOW.. There are 5 or 6 dailies you can do there for rep.. Why does it have to be the same everyday? Make a total of 30 quests for their dailies, and mix them all up so you don't get the same ones everyday.. They've taken that step in TB, dunno why not the rest..

To take it a step further, the quests of Kill x, collect this many Z's and come back, is getting old. Are these a neccessary evil? I used to think so, but why does it have to be? I would prefer to do an hour long scripted adventure, where I earn the same about of rep as doing 5 or 6 dailies of Kill X and come back.. Dungeons can be made dynamic so they change each time you go in.. Yeah you might only have 20 or 30 different variations, but that to me would have been inovative.

WOW has added more of the same while removing almost all challenge from the game.

---------- Post added February-18th-2011 at 01:12 PM ----------

I agree and that's why I added that last line. Just like when EQ was king every game that came out was going to be the EQ killer, but what killed EQ was lazy Dev's adding crap content with crap expansions.

Plus MMO + FPS doesn't just = awesome, I can't think of any FPS MMO's(I feel like I remember reading about one but can't really look stuff like that up at work) so this game could be considered an entirely new genre, it might not even appeal to your typical WoW player. Maybe they're purposely targetting non WoW players to play this as to increase their player base and revenue stream.

Really I just jumped in your shorts because ever since EQ I hated when people were like oh man game X is gonna release and it's gonna kill game Y. And I have yet to see it happen. I'll be more thna happy to wait for more information and hope that it ends up being the greatest game ever made though.

Planetside has been around for years.. So no, they aren't breaking new ground.. Planetside was awesome at release, but as Sony likes to do, they'ved dicked with it so much they made it suck..

Archived