Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Resumé help

MrSilverMaC

I used the google search and couldn't find a thread that matched what i was looking for to add to.

So here's my scenario:

I got a call from a job recruiter today for a Java developer position. I have no on the job experience as a Java developer but I do have code that I've written for my Java certification classes. The recruiter said she liked my resume, and said that she liked my previous experience but that to better sell me to the hiring manager she wanted me to list my school work on my resume. So I am looking for suggestions on how to list this in a aesthetically pleasing fashion.

My resume is a chronological one since I do not have enough experience with web/software development to put together a functional resume.

I appreciate any help you guys can give me, and any good wishes you can send my way. :)

I am a Production Manager at the FOX station. When I look at a resume I look for someone who knows how to use our equipment(switcher, editing suites, Photoshop) and someone who has done the job. Alot of time people will add work they've done and awards they won but I don't use that as a way to sort out candidates.

In your case you probably should list your work chronologically. I assume you put down some academic achievements on your resume'. List your work at the end of the resume', the last one I put together I included special newscasts and sports shows I directed and techincal directed.

I am a Production Manager at the FOX station. When I look at a resume I look for someone who knows how to use our equipment(switcher, editing suites, Photoshop) and someone who has done the job. Alot of time people will add work they've done and awards they won but I don't use that as a way to sort out candidates.

In your case you probably should list your work chronologically. I assume you put down some academic achievements on your resume'. List your work at the end of the resume', the last one I put together I included special newscasts and sports shows I directed and techincal directed.

Like I said, she liked the resume. I have the languages I have experience with and have certifications for listed as well as the software I am familiar with. She just asked that I add the coursework that I had done as something additional to help sell me as a good candidate and I am not really sure where to add it. But I appreciate your input. maybe you can pm your email addy and I can send you a copy of it for you to look over.

Like I said, she liked the resume. I have the languages I have experience with and have certifications for listed as well as the software I am familiar with. She just asked that I add the coursework that I had done as something additional to help sell me as a good candidate and I am not really sure where to add it. But I appreciate your input. maybe you can pm your email addy and I can send you a copy of it for you to look over.

Under your education is where i would add it. Did dyou do any projects while you were in school coding in Java? If so explain or go into more detail.

Part of my job is to help people write resumes.

I suggest you include every skill and ability that you have and the level of skill that you can demonstrate. Just because you don't have years experience in something doesn't mean that you can't have a "working knowledge of X." You may want to list your certifications and class experience closer to the top if that is what they are looking for. Just don't make them have to find it if your most recent work experience isn't in line with the job.

Check out quintcareers for reference. It's a great site: http://www.quintcareers.com/

Archived