Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Jay Feely: Jerry Richardson insults intelligence of players

adam@section118

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/13/jay-feely-jerry-richardson-insults-intelligence-of-players/#comments

Speaking on the Michael Kay Show on ESPN Radio in New York, Cardinals kicker Jay Feely passed along a story from last week’s brief bargaining session in Dallas that Brees and Manning attended.

“Jerry Richardson . . . he’s going to criticize Peyton Manning and Drew Brees and their intelligence in our meeting Saturday?” Feely said. “And sit there and say dismissively to Manning ‘Do I need to help you read a revenue chart son? Do I need to help break that down for you because I don’t know if you know how to read that?’”

---------- Post added February-15th-2011 at 12:23 PM ----------

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-richardsonnfl021411%C2%A0

Richardson, as Cole reported, copped a condescending attitude toward star quarterbacks Peyton Manning(notes) and Drew Brees(notes) in a Feb. 5 bargaining session in Dallas – the day before Super Bowl XLV. I’ve since spoken with two people who witnessed the interaction and gotten a more detailed report of what went down.

Among other things, Richardson became so angry at Sean Morey(notes) after the recently retired player cited a slew of statistics on player safety and average career length that the Panthers’ owner snapped, “You guys made so much [expletive] money – if you played three years in the NFL, you should own your own [expletive] team.”

At that point, as NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and several of Richardson’s fellow owners cringed, league representatives suggested that the two sides take a break.

“It was bad from the start,” said one player who attended the session. “[Richardson] opened the meeting by describing how he was almost annoyed how we would ask for that meeting on their busiest weekend of the year. And I’m thinking, ‘Your team finished 2-14. You shouldn’t be that busy. Why are you worrying about how busy you are during Super Bowl weekend?’ ”

I'm totally shocked by Richardson's actions. I mean, the man supposedly said all that stuff, yet in the 15 years he's owned the Panthers I don't recall the guy EVER going on local radio here and discussing the Panthers.

And, FWIW, they were talking about this very thing on the radio here today. And supposedly Feely wasn't even IN those meetings. Plus, the radio host mentioned that he makes several appearances (which is true, I've seen him on there) on First Take during the year. So he was saying that this could be Feely's way of making the owners look bad. At any rate, this stuff is getting UG-LY.

Archived