Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could we sign Ryan Harris to play RG?

pram11

I just watched one of his game tapes against the Chargers and was pretty impressed by his play. Not dominant, but very efficient lineman with good base and rarely gets beat in pass pro or run game. I hear a lot of talk about Davin Joseph, but assuming we re-sign Brown at RT, why not just sign Harris, who was drafted by and was a 16 game starter on Mike Shanahan's 2008 offense, to play RG? One thing about Shanny linemen is they tend to be pretty versatile, and at 6-5/300, he seems to have the size to fit this scheme at tackle or guard. And he's a superior pass protector than Joseph, which this team sorely needs.

I'll say this, I would be fine with Harris at right tackle, but he's not on the same level physically as Brown. I just watched a couple of Brown's tapes late in the year, and that guy is our best OL RIGHT NOW and the athletic ability is impressive. He gets to the 2nd level in the run game about as quick and sudden as any lineman I've seen and when he gets there, he's a phsyical mismatch for linebackers, routinely pushing them around like kids. The one negative tendency I noticed is he sometimes allowed linemen to get into his chest and bullrush him a few steps into the the QB's comfort zone. That said, he's clearly a level above Harris and just about any RT in the game and having fully recovered from his hip, a full off-season and a 2nd year in the offense at the RT position, Brown could be an absolute beast for us.

We just spent a pick on Brown and he played great down the stretch, so I see no reason to lose him and why bring in a RT to play RG, when you can just sign a RG?

Sounds logical, but two things:

1. We didn't actually lose a pick in the Brown trade. We got Brown and a 5th round pick for what turned out to be a 3rd. So in reality, all we did is move back from the 3rd to the 5th to acquire Brown.

2. The thought isn't to sign a RT to play RG, but getting a player in Harris who fits the zone scheme Shanny runs. Like many Shanny linemen, he has the size and versatility to play multiple positions and is a better pass blocker than Joseph.

Spent two draft picks on McNabb.

Harris is younger and better.

McNabb didn't work out like we thought it would. Brown has.

---------- Post added February-1st-2011 at 01:10 AM ----------

Sounds logical, but two things:

1. We didn't actually lose a pick in the Brown trade. We got Brown and a 5th round pick for what turned out to be a 3rd. So in reality, all we did is move back from the 3rd to the 5th to acquire Brown.

2. The thought isn't to sign a RT to play RG, but getting a player in Harris who fits the zone scheme Shanny runs. Like many Shanny linemen, he has the size and versatility to play multiple positions and is a better pass blocker than Joseph.

I agree about the Brown trade and I still love it. That was a great move.

I see where you are coming from, but I think the days of bringing in guys to play out of position are over. Although, it would be nice to have another guy who could move to tackle when we needed it.

McNabb didn't work out like we thought it would. Brown has.

Brown's not shown he can really stay healthy, though.

Yeah, he was never healthy to begin the season, but he seemingly always had a nagging injury.

I'd take Harris if he came cheap and say so long to Brown unless he wanted to stay as a backup, which I really wouldn't count on.

Yeah, he was never healthy to begin the season, but he seemingly always had a nagging injury.

I'd take Harris if he came cheap and say so long to Brown unless he wanted to stay as a backup, which I really wouldn't count on.

Do top tier tackles ever come cheap?

Brown is 30-years old and still a good player at a premium position at which there is a dearth of quality players available. Why would the word "backup" even be brought up? As for Brown and being injured, do you guys realize that Harris has missed 14 games in the past two seasons and was benched this year for a rookie because of his play?

Archived