Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

hypothetical question RE: Draft

OsaSkinsFan

Just wondering with the possibility of a lockout looming, the 2011 draft would proceed as planned. How would the positions then be determined for the 2012 draft if there was no season in 2011 for teams to accrue a record to determine positions? Would it be a repeat of the 2011 draft order? Has there ever been any precedence set for this situation or some obscure rule that covers it?

I would think they would have to do a lottery for the order of the draft. Letting the same team pick 1st two years in a row wouldn't be very fair

I know this is an if statement but could u imagine IF Luck was even higher rated coming out of college next year as he was this year and they did a lottery that would be the most insane lottery of all time !!!

First, there will not be a "next" draft until there is a new CBA.

Now, if there is not a new CBA until after what would have been the 2012 season (lockout causes the cancelation of the 2012 season), I would assume that the order of the next draft would be determined in the neogitations of the new CBA.

So, no one has any idea what the draft order would be in 2012 if we miss the season.

If there's no season, then I would assume the teams would draft per their last official record, meaning the Skins would pick 10th again. A lottery that could potentially let New England pick first and Carolina pick last? Even two years from now, that wouldn't look very fair.

No way can you give the same team the #1 pick, two years in a row. It would have to be a lottery, with some type of restriction. Like, certain teams couldn't crack the top 10, or something. Use the playoffs as a cutoff point.

No way can you give the same team the #1 pick, two years in a row. It would have to be a lottery, with some type of restriction. Like, certain teams couldn't crack the top 10, or something. Use the playoffs as a cutoff point.

why wouldn't it be fair? If there's no season then there's no evidence the team with the 2011 and 2012 draft picks has improved which is the point of the draft.

First, there will not be a "next" draft until there is a new CBA.

Now, if there is not a new CBA until after what would have been the 2012 season (lockout causes the cancelation of the 2012 season), I would assume that the order of the next draft would be determined in the neogitations of the new CBA.

So, no one has any idea what the draft order would be in 2012 if we miss the season.

there's apparently something in place to allow the 2011 draft to go through. It's supposed to happen CBA or no CBA.

why wouldn't it be fair? If there's no season then there's no evidence the team with the 2011 and 2012 draft picks has improved which is the point of the draft.

there's apparently something in place to allow the 2011 draft to go through. It's supposed to happen CBA or no CBA.

That is correct. The 2011 draft will go through w/ or w/o a CBA.

Archived