Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Should Be Out Of Haynesworth Business

bulldog

My own humble opinion was that the Redskins needed to either keep the 4-3 and accept Haynesworth and his ego or trade him back to TN for that #3 or #4 pick that was originally in play.

After this week's events the middle ground Shanahan tried to take, ie keeping the 3-4 and Haynesworth and trying to 'reform' his attitude I think can now be judged a complete failure.

Coaches in the past have rid themselves of divisive players, even talented ones, precisely because it IS a 53 man game.

Unlike the NBA and NHL where one player can determine ultimate success, in the NFL you need aMix of contributions from various places to be successful.

That's why Belichick decided he could move forward without Randy Moss. That's why Jon Gruden deactivated Keyshawn Johnson in Tampa during the season.

They realized these players' egos and the coach's direction of the team were at odds.

Now we have 10 months of evidence that a reconciliation between coach and player will not happen. Haynesworth has never embraced the 3-4 and has done just enough passive things in terms of missing meetings or being late to practice to let Shanahan know he hasn't 'broken' him.

The only solution is a divorce. Waiting until the offseason to try and get a #5 pick for him when you could have gotten a #4 last spring is no less embarrassing than simply releasing the player and moving on.

The money has been paid and right now Albert has 13 tackles and 2.5 sacks to show for the 2010 campaign.

Don't tell me that having him play 20 snaps in perhaps 12-13 games this year is worth all this grief.

If the team had traded him last spring the entire affair would be in the rear view mirror instead of being the first question asked after a 31-7 loss to the Giants.

I personally believe that Shanny had to wait for the players to figure out what was going on...it was worth paying him until enough players figured out AH was in no way a victim.

Cutting him any earlier could have caused a locker room problem.

Now...not so much.

Sometimes, you have to do what you have to do. Haynesworth was given lots of chances and Shanahan really wanted to make things work. But Haynesworth wasn't really into the program. He took the check in April and went back on his word that he was committed. Then he skips all off season workouts and mini camps and shows up at training camp and fails a conditioning test. Haynesworth also caused frustration to his own teammates. Sometimes in life, you have to do what must be done. And suspending Albert was the only thing that Mike Shanahan could do. And let's not forget that he never made the starting lineup. It's just too much to deal with. I say cut him or trade him in the early off season and forget that he ever signed with the Redskins.

I personally believe that Shanny had to wait for the players to figure out what was going on...it was worth paying him until enough players figured out AH was in no way a victim.

Cutting him any earlier could have caused a locker room problem.

Now...not so much.

I absolutely agree with this. The team is solidly behind Shanahan on this, Daniels' interview clearly shows that.

Who knows if they would have been, so completely, if Haynesworth's act hadn't been allowed to play out longer.

I have been somewhat of a Haynesworth supporter (to be exact I was holding out hope that it would work out) but now its clear...

after the season is over, we need to either trade him, cut him, or whatever.. AH never wears Redskins jersey ever again.

Archived