Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should we be starting D. Thomas?

CRogersGuy

I kind of bit my tongue what with a win and all, but Galloway as our #1 WR is almost laughable. Sure no one beat him out of that spot outright, but a bigger more physical WR like Thomas should certainly be a better blocker. There is more to being a WR than precise route running. How many times does a WR get a ball thrown his way? 8 times a game? what about the other 52 plays? Thomas can do the reverse, he is probably our only candidate at wideout for the fade, he was flying on kick returns, Galloway cant hold that job for much longer...

Why in the world did we run that fade twice in a row to Armstrong? He dropped the first one, and was well covered anyways, not that tall... bah whatever. Maybe Thomas will get his turn when all above him fumble away their chances.

Devin needs to study tape of Miles Austin - they are both the same size (6'2 218 for Thomas, 6'2 215 for Austin), both possessing the same physical attributes, comparable strength and speed. It took Austin until his fourth NFL season to really "get it;" hopefully the same light someday goes off for Thomas, too. I feel like the Shanahans see Thomas' potential and won't reward him with playing time until he shows more dedication to fulfilling his enormous potential. Shanahan recently made a comment, something along the lines of hoping to see Thomas dedicate himself to showing up on time more often, while praising his general attitude.

...because if Thomas ever could play at the level that Austin is now, he could singlehandedly make our offense instantly explosive...

Hell I'd easily say, physically, Thomas is light years more talented than Austin (DT has way more speed and their strength is probably pretty comprable). However when it comes to running routes Austin is a master and DT is not even a grasshopper. There was a play in the second quarter where Austin was caught from behind by Fletcher to save a potential big gain/TD. If Thomas got himself in that situation there is no way a middle linebacker is going to catch him from behind.

As others have said DT can not run a proper route and I think he has very little clue as to how this offense works. Until he figures out those two things I do not think he will be seeing the field. On the other hand he can't be much worse than the other guys ahead of him on the depth chart (as evidenced by last night).

Archived