Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Slate: The Great Divergence: The United States of Inequality....get ready to read

AsburySkinsFan

Ok, so we give up and just accept it?

You talked about being more valuable in the workforce, but the problem is nearly the entire workforce is being devalued. What we're finding is that the "work hard", "study hard" to get a good job is simply a myth when those holding the purse strings aren't valuing those things anymore.

I don't think anything is going to change soon. If we try to penalize companies for using cheap labor, our products will become

too expensive to buy on the global market. Lobbyists are way too powerful to allow the government try to limit executive pay or the ability for wall street people to make their millions.

I don't think the workforce is being devalued. Houses are bigger, cars are nicer, people have all sorts of electronic gadgets they didn't have 20 years ago. Medical technogy is much more advanced than it used to be. Plus, I know the people who work for me make pretty good money - practically as much as I do and I'm their manager.

I don't think anything is going to change soon.

But wouldn't it be best to figure out what is causing the divergence in order to figure out how best to correct it? Unless the powers that be do not want it corrected. But, then when that happens the corrective is usually fairly violent...Viva la Revolution!

No it really doesn't, the post above is simply looking at a very narrow aspect of computer technology and does not even begin to start looking at the far more important parts of technological advancement such as communications, production, and transportation technologies.

No it really doesn't, the post above is simply looking at a very narrow aspect of computer technology and does not even begin to start looking at the far more important parts of technological advancement such as communications, production, and transportation technologies.

Sure it does, especially when it talks about the fact that new technologies create new jobs, new markets etc. It's not like there is a cap on the number of jobs.

Archived