Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Out of market availability of CSN

ChicagoRedskinsFan

On Directv channel 642 is Comcast Sports Mid-Atlantic. It was greyed out for me because I live in the Chicago area. I called Directv and they said I could get all the regional sports channels for $12.99/mo normally and offered it to me for $7.99/mo for the first 3 months. I thought it would be worth it since there is a lot of Redskins coverage on 642 including the pre-season games (not sure if they will be blacked out). I'm guessing the other TV providers might have similar deals - just an FYI.

On Directv channel 642 is Comcast Sports Mid-Atlantic. It was greyed out for me because I live in the Chicago area. I called Directv and they said I could get all the regional sports channels for $12.99/mo normally and offered it to me for $7.99/mo for the first 3 months. I thought it would be worth it since there is a lot of Redskins coverage on 642 including the pre-season games (not sure if they will be blacked out). I'm guessing the other TV providers might have similar deals - just an FYI.

Don't waste your time with DTV. It's blacked out and I even explained to the CSR when ordering that if it's going to be blacked out I don't want it. She knew my zip code and she assured me it would be available. It wasn't and I canceled the same night!!! I'm in FL not sure about anywhere else.

It is not a greyed out channel for me so I set the DVR to record. It recorded for 2 seconds then said I don't have that channel..... Strange because I get that channel otherwise...I record The daily redskins nation TV show on DTV and I live in NC. Blacking out games that I cannot otherwise buy is asinine.

All Redskins games and shows such as redskins live and pregame and post game shows are blacked out for me to..I get everything else but the Redskins shows and Im in PA. Called DTV and they told me its because CSN wont allow the signal out of the DC area

Don't waste your time with DTV. It's blacked out and I even explained to the CSR when ordering that if it's going to be blacked out I don't want it. She knew my zip code and she assured me it would be available. It wasn't and I canceled the same night!!! I'm in FL not sure about anywhere else.

I ran into the same thing down here too. Some bull****...

I've been a DirecTV ubscriber since 1994, and NFL Sunday Ticket sub since 1995. I've subbed to the RSN's as well for at least a dozen years. You will get to see Sportsnite, Training Camp Daily, and the PostGame shows. You WILL be blacked out for all preseason games, and PostGame during preseason as well. You will also ALWAYS be blacked out from Redskins Nation and the Pregame shows.

Just a few days ago I asked a CSN employee why out-of-area folks are blacked out for postgame in preseason and not in regular season. He told me that because they are the providers for the games during preseason, they use game footage on postgame during preseason (they've never used game footage on postgame during regular season. It consists solely of studio analysis, usually from Chick, B Mitch, and a former Redskin, and they interview coaches and players, which is worth the cost to me). This is why they also black out postgame in preseason. I was concerned before he told me this that they were going to black out postgame during the regular season this year, for the first time.

I suggested to him the idea of them NOT using game footage (from previous games) on the pregame so that they don't have to black it out too, and that would give them a huge national audinece on Sunday mornings (I would much rather watch pregame on CSN than the FOX pregame. They've just gotten boring since they added gaptooth!). He said that he would mention that to his superiors.

I really don't understand them blacking out the game for people who are out of the DC area. I had this happen to me a few years ago as well.

I can't think of any monetary loss they would incur from showing the games, and in fact, it seems like they would be able to get more advertising money. It's one of those things about the NFL that really irks me.

I really don't understand them blacking out the game for people who are out of the DC area. I had this happen to me a few years ago as well.

I can't think of any monetary loss they would incur from showing the games, and in fact, it seems like they would be able to get more advertising money. It's one of those things about the NFL that really irks me.

It's not CSN that chooses to black it out. It's the NFL that forces them to black it out. And yes .. it's idiotic!

I would assume that THIS year it is because the NFL is selling live streaming of preseason games for $40 (or is it $20). Anyone who pays that to see preseason games is just either loaded or dumb! Especially when with a little looking on the 'net they can be found for free (although the streams often get cut off mid-game so you're constantly searching for other streams).

What really ticks me off is that they require RSN's like CSN to black out shows like Redskins Nation and the pregame show! It just makes NO sense whatsoever to punish out-of-market fans by denying those of us willing to pay extra for the RSN's! I still subscribe because I can get Sportsnite (although they spend WAY too much time on the B'more Ratbirds and other junk, which I could not care less about), Training Camp Daily, and the postgame shows.

Archived