Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question About Animating In Flash

Ok, another Flash question from yours truly:

I imported a jpeg image into Flash, and I'm wanting to do a simple animation of it. The animation I want to do requires the jpeg to be slightly distorted at the beginning and ending of the animation sequence. However, I can't find a way of distorting jpeg images in Flash.

Anyone know how to do that?

Distort as in how,, like in fireworks where you can grab one corner and pull it on it's own?

There's not an option for distorting a symbol like there is in the illustration programs. The skew option is also not as flexible.

You may have to take the image in your image program,, fireworks or photoshop or whatever you're using, and break it into pieces. Meaning, copy and paste it on itself several times, and than erase areas of each layer so it looks like a complete image, but it's really three pieces (or whatever) stacked up. Then you can maneuver each of them to hopefully create the distortion effect you're looking for.

Make sense?

Another way is to take your image, duplicaqte it a dozen times in your image software, and disort each one separately so each is a little closer to the final stretch... old style animation, no tweening. One image per frame. This is probably what I'd do depending on how much of a distortion it's going to make, and how long it will take it to do it. If it's a quick change I'd definitely do it this way.

~Bang

Distort as in how,, like in fireworks where you can grab one corner and pull it on it's own?

There's not an option for distorting a symbol like there is in the illustration programs.

You may have to take the image in your image program,, fireworks or photoshop or whatever you're using, and break it into pieces. Meaning, copy and paste it on itself several times, and than erase areas of each layer so it looks like a complete image, but it's really three pieces (or whatever) stacked up. Then you can maneuver each of them to hopefully create the distortion effect you're looking for.

Make sense?

~Bang

bundy1.jpg

Ok, um lol...well, what I want to do is this: imagine a jpeg image of, say, a book. A straight-on shot. I wanted to distort that image of the book to give it a very slight impression of perspective...the left side being a little taller than the right side, for example. Then, in Flash, I wanted to have that jpeg image "morph" (tween) into the straight-ahead shot of the book...so basically it would look like the book is "turning" slightly during the animation. Nothing drastic, just a slight turning of the image. I can do it in Flash using shapes I create in Flash, but I can't seem to do it using imported jpegs.

Ok, here's what I'd do. I'd make a four stage change.

I'd dupe the image three times.

(I'd then lock one and make it invisible so you have a spare of the original in case you mess up somewhere.)

So taking my remaining two, I'd make the first one my first position, and then I'd skew the second one to the final (4th) position. Then I'd copy the first position two more times and I'd make the second and third positions. the skews that are between your first and final. Now I've got four images each in a different state of the turn. Follow?

I'd arrange the layers and set them up exactly as I want them to appear in my movie, then i'd grab all four and copy / paste them into flash on a single layer. move it into position, then CTRL-B will break the one imported image into your four parts, and CTRL-SHIFT-D will distribute them on four layers exactly as you wanted them. (Be sure you place a keyframe on each new layer at the frame you want them to begin, and then delete the keyframes that appeared in frame one when you distributed them.

Now, if it's a quick move, as it sounds like it is, you make each one of your images a symbol, and place them 1 frame apart.your first image should be the bottom-most layer, when the second image appears, put a blank keyframe in the first image, same frame. Repeat for 3 and four.

That will get your thing to move in four frames. Depending on your frame rate you may want to adjust. You can make as many layer images as you want to smooth out the animation, and if it's a longer time that it happens, you should. If you use four of them and you want it to go 12 frames, say, what you do is have the bottom layerfade to blank as the layer just above it fades into view.. repeat that up the ladder and it will look like a natural movement, if a little shadowy.

Or you could do it easy if it's a very small shift and make your skewed one lay over top of the straight on one, and have them fade in and out silmultaneously. . Won't look as good, but it may serve.

~Bang

The only problem in this situation with shape tweening is it only works on vector images, and a jpg isn't.

~Bang

Just about to say that lol :yes:...I can skew jpg images in Flash but I can't distort them at all. Right now I'm doing the more painstaking approach of creating the slight perspective movement myself.

Just about to say that lol :yes:...I can skew jpg images in Flash but I can't distort them at all. Right now I'm doing the more painstaking approach of creating the slight perspective movement myself.

I'd love to see it when it's finished :)

View a challenge like this as building your skills.

Which image program do you use?

When I make a cartoon I use fireworks and do all my drawing there, and simple copy and paste brings them in as vectors.

~Bang

Archived