Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bicycle Gurus?

DCBnG21

Quick question for any of you bike gurus that may be on the board.

I'd like to grab a bike and have been floored by how much they cost. I'm not looking to be the next Lance Armstrong here, race, or for that matter be in a triathlon. I'm just looking for a way to get some exercise while taking a kid along with me. I rode a bike all the time growing up, so it seems like a nice thing to do.

I'm just looking for a decent bike that will do roads or trails and that I can ride for reasonably long distances, and I'll be able to throw a bike seat on to schlep a kid with me. (Age 1 or 3)

By all means this bike can be used, but the problem I'm having is that I'm 6'4" and almost all the bikes I see on Craigslist say they are setup for someone that's about 5'9". Any advice? Any particular model numbers you could steer me towards or tell me to stay away from? I'm kind of in the dark here, so any help would be appreciated.

Generally, you're going to have a hard time finding a bike thats suitable for 'roads or trails'. There are hybrid models out there, but honestly, you'll probably find they are very comfortable rides on the road, and aren't really durable enough for true trails. Sounds like you'd probably use it more for road use or at least paved bike paths.

I like 'Specialized' bikes because you can find a good one for under $600-$700. They do make several 'hybrid' bikes that can be used on trails or road...here's the least expensive version, but you can go more expensive in this same general class if you want higher quality components

Specialized Hybrid Bikes

Your best bet honestly is probably to make a visit to your local bike shop. They will likely be able to find you a great used bike, make sure you get the appropriate bike for your frame, and you'll get a hell of a lot better bike for the money than buying new. It's worth it to spend enough so that you get a quality bike you'll really enjoy riding. 'Giant' also makes a great bike but you'll pay more. Good luck!

I agree with most of what Tarhog said. It is tough to make a good recommendation without knowing what kind of trails you are talking about. Around here "trail" is used to describe some paved paths and other paths that would not require an off-road/mountain bike. I bought a hybrid a few years ago and love it. I have since bought a road bike for training purposes but definitely enjoy the hybrid for relaxed riding. I have a Giant and I think I paid about 600-700.

One strategy that you can try is to go get fitted at a bike shop. You are a couple inches taller than me and my bike size is usually at the top end of what is available. But if you are really persistent with Craigs List you can probably find one there. Just have to be really quick about acting on it. Good luck

Get an old Raliegh for the road and dirt bike for the woods. KTM if you're going new. I'm riding and old school Husqvarna 430 cross country and loving it, and a schwinn hybrid when I'm peddling to the beach. Tarhog is in better shape than I am, but he's not roosting 70mph in the woods. :pfft:

Archived