Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HBO Documentary GasLand

mbws

Yes I'm aware of that as well as the retention requirements

The link I gave has links to the MSDS for each,still curious which toxins you worry over evaporating.

Would simply requiring enclosed vessels ease your concerns?

No, not really, and that MSDS is for one company. Each company has their own frac formula.

enclosing the vessel is only one step in the process. What do you do with the produced water? How do you dispose of it. What about the Benzene that is now underground and may or may not be leaching into groundwater or sub-surface water sources?

I don't intimate to be the most knowledgable on this issue, but I do have a good understanding of how a person can rely on water sources to sustain themselves, their livestock and their crops. It's pretty much tantamount to a death sentence for these individuals when the water becomes tainted.

Once again, I will reiterate, that I do see the need to tap these resources, but I feel that the leasing of public lands to these companies were done with not nearly enough care or foresight. It may be splitting hairs, but in my opinion, this negates those individuals rights of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness.

In regards to the link, I could not find a material safety data sheet that was specific. I did see the link allegedly debunking some statements, but to me I would prefer the report to come from an independent third party rather than the American Petroleum Institute. The EPA in my mind should probably take more of an active role earlier than it has.

There are more troubling reports on the process than ones that hint there is not harm.

http://www.windsornygaslease.com/chemcomm/colorado/analysis_of_chemicals_used_in_natural_gas_production_in_colorado_2-8-08[1].pdf

Upon plotting the percent of chemicals in each health category, a pattern emerged of the possible

health effects for the 278 chemicals. The four categories with the highest exposure risk are (1) eyes,

skin, and sensory organs; (2) respiratory system; (3) gastrointestinal tract and liver; and (4) brain and

nervous system.

Much of the information about the composition of the products on the list comes from a Material

Safety Data Sheet (MSDS). Ingredients on MSDSs are sometimes labeled as “proprietary”, or “no

hazardous ingredients” even when there are significant health effects listed on the MSDS.

MSDSs are designed to inform those who handle, ship, and use the product(s) about the products’

physical and chemical characteristics, and its direct/immediate health effects to prevent injury. The

sheets are also designed to inform emergency response crews in case of accidents or spills. The data in

the MSDSs do not generally take into consideration the health impacts resulting from chronic or longterm,

continuous, and/or intermittent exposure. Many products that have MSDSs have not gone through

a rigorous and extensive scientific peer-review process that would permit conclusions to be drawn about

"safe" and/or "hazardous" exposure levels.

The preceeding statements were from one single report out of Colorado but Montana, Washington, New Mexico and Wyoming have also had similar findings.

So I guess we are in a bit of a quandry. We do need the energy source but the long term effects of these chemicals seems to have been ignored or covered up. No person should expect water coming from a faucet to be flammable, yet there are cases of exactly that in Colorado and Wyoming. Yet before the extraction process, this water was not flammable. To me, that signals an alarm bell.

So I guess we are in a bit of a quandry. We do need the energy source but the long term effects of these chemicals seems to have been ignored or covered up. No person should expect water coming from a faucet to be flammable, yet there are cases of exactly that in Colorado and Wyoming. Yet before the extraction process, this water was not flammable. To me, that signals an alarm bell.

Flammable water has been a problem in certain areas for long before fracking

I prefer to just drink fermented alcohol to be on the safe side :)

Archived