Player Profile | Quote of the Day

Ramsey Watch | Who's Hot, Who's Not

Injury Report | Ranking the RBs

Compiled by Emily Badger

The Washington Post

Friday, August 14, 2003

Player Profile: Larry Austin

Position: Cornerback.

Who He Is: The Virginia Tech graduate is trying to elbow his way into one of the most talented, crowded cornerback corps around -- or at least the practice squad. He didn't play in the exhibition loss to Carolina, so his chances to impress have been limited to practice drills.

"There are certain opportunities I've taken advantage of," he said, "but there's also plays out there that I wish I could get back." The 5-foot-8, 185-pounder signed with Houston as a free agent last year and was cut by the third exhibition game. While waiting for the NFL Europe spring season he kept himself occupied with a part-time job driving people around. Austin recorded 28 tackles with the Barcelona Dragons, prompting an offer from the Redskins earlier this summer that he said he immediately accepted.

Claim to Fame: Austin tore an ACL in the fourth game of the 2000 season at Virginia Tech and rehabilitated it in time to start the following year. "It kind of devastates you because your season ends so early, and some people don't come back," he said. "That was probably my biggest triumph."

If He Doesn't Make It: Austin will keep looking, but he also has a degree in residential property management from Virginia Tech to fall back on. "It's good money," he said.

Chances of Making the Roster: If Austin doesn't play on Saturday, it's a bad sign.

Quote of the Day

"You give me T-shirts, I'll wear 'em."

-- Patrick Ramsey, after a curious media mob wanted to know what he was doing in a Comcast Sports shirt.

Ramsey Watch

Quarterback Patrick Ramsey didn't exactly end camp on a high note -- he threw two interceptions and had another pass almost picked off -- but he still left the field claiming victory over the grueling three-week schedule.

"I feel very good about it," he said. "The thing that makes me feel more comfortable is the fact that it's getting easier and easier for me to see what the defense may be doing and to adjust and react to that. That's what I want out of it, and I feel like I'm better than I was at the beginning."

Asked if he was just as pleased with the team's overall improvement, Ramsey offered a little coach-speak: "We're not ready to start the season yet, but I think we're all confident in where we're going."

Who's Hot, Who's Not

Place kicker John Hall nailed all four field goal attempts from inside the 20-yard line. . . . Quarterbacks Patrick Ramsey, Rob Johnson and Danny Wuerffel all threw interceptions yesterday, and fourth-stringer Gibran Hamdan nearly had one as well if cornerback Fred Smoot had just held on a little tighter. . . . Shamar Finney, Smoot and Matt Bowen all had interceptions. Orantes Grant could have joined the list, but he let one ball slap off his hands . . . As the rough morning practice wore on, Ramsey finally connected on a seven-yard pass to Laveranues Coles, which, on this day, was enough to prompt scattered applause from the crowd.

Injury Report

WR Cliff Russell (sprained shoulder), RB Ladell Betts (sprained elbow), OL Larry Moore (torn knee ligament), LB Jeremiah Trotter (knee), G Tre Johnson (sore Achilles' tendon), OL Rod Jones (sprained ankle and turf toe), G Randy Thomas (knee), DE Regan Upshaw (knee), LB Kevin Mitchell (sore back).

Ranking the RBs

1. Trung Canidate finishes this final installment of the rankings with an unprecedented, Cal Ripken-esque streak of 18 straight days on top. His consistency has earned him another start Saturday and made him the No. 1 running back from the day camp opened to the day it broke.

2. Kenny Watson returned from a sprained knee in time to impress during the final week of camp and should enter the game Saturday following Canidate.

3. Chad Morton had a handful of eye-catching runs the last few weeks, but that doesn't change the fact that his greatest asset to the Redskins is on special teams.

4. Ladell Betts should be ready to play for the last two exhibitions games, Coach Steve Spurrier said yesterday. Betts missed all but one day of practice this year because of a sprained elbow.

5. Sultan McCullough did the only thing yesterday that could have dropped him below an injured Betts -- he fumbled.

Archived