Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Library of Congress to archive your tweets

MattFancy

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/04/14/library.congress.twitter/index.html?hpt=Sbin

click link for more

Every 140-character snippet of info you've ever shared publicly on Twitter will soon have a home next to the Declaration of Independence.

Twitter and the Library of Congress announced Wednesday that every public tweet posted since Twitter started in 2006 will be archived digitally by the federal library.

The purpose, according to a blog post by Library of Congress communications director Matt Raymond, is to document "important tweets" as well as gather information about the way we live through the sheer masses of tweets on the site.

"I'm no Ph.D., but it boggles my mind to think what we might be able to learn about ourselves and the world around us from this wealth of data," Raymond said in the post. And I'm certain we'll learn things that none of us now can even possibly conceive."

This is pretty interesting. I can see keeping tweets about important events and such, but do they really need to keep a record of every single tweet? I guess it'll be interesting for people in the future to look back on and see how much of an attention whore the past generations used to be haha.

Archived