Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

More about Jets DT Robertson and his stuggles from the NY Times......

TC4

Earlier, someone posted a story about NY Jets rookie DT Dewayne Robertson and how he seems to be stuggling right off the bat for the Jets. Some suggested that it was due to the fact that he is a rookie and that it was probally just one story.

But now it seems that the NY Times is weighting in on the subject as well:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/13/sports/football/13jets.html?th

Robertson Hasn't Rushed to Forefront for the Jets

By JUDY BATTISTA

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y., Aug. 12 - In the weeks before the N.F.L.'s college draft, the analysis was unanimous: Dewayne Robertson was a great defensive tackle, blessed with speed and size, the top prospect at his position.

With the Jets, though, Robertson's performance has been less than overwhelming. In two preseason games, Robertson, who has played about 40 snaps, has assisted on one tackle.

His successes, coaches insist, have been subtle, not the kind that make the highlight reel. Coach Herman Edwards said Robertson was a disruptive presence in Sunday's 28-13 victory against the Cincinnati Bengals and did enough good things that his coaches gave him a grade in the mid-80's.

"He anchored the point of attack versus the double teams," Rubin Carter, the defensive line coach, said. "When he's doubled like that, it will make it difficult for him to make individual plays, but our linebackers were able to flow freely and come up the middle. That was due to him clogging up the middle of the line."

Of course, Robertson was drafted to do more than take up space. He is supposed be the Warren Sapp model of defensive tackle, one who gets to the quarterback. While Robertson pushed the Bengals' pocket back on a few plays, forcing Jon Kitna to rush his throws, he has yet to break free.

In the one-gap defensive scheme the Jets play, Robertson should line up on the edge of the guard and use his speed and hands to move past him. Instead, he has seemed to get bottled up.

Robertson came from Kentucky, and while he faced plenty of top-flight competition in the Southeastern Conference, he did not line up against premier offensive linemen every day in practice the way he does now. Still, Robertson said he felt more confident with each week.

"I feel I'm doing all the right things," he said today. "Just because I haven't gotten a sack doesn't mean I'm doing anything wrong. It's kind of like your A B C's. You say them a couple of times, and sooner or later you can say them backward. That's what I'm waiting on, where I can say them backwards.

"Those types of things will come, the tackles and sacks. I'm not basing my effort or playing ability on how many tackles I've got. I know it will come."

Opposing coaches clearly think so, too. Robertson has been double-teamed in the Jets' two preseason games, a form of flattery that he could probably do without.

He is playing under intense scrutiny, his statistical line the most noticed, not just because he was the fourth overall pick in the draft, but because the Jets' previous two first-round picks have not made the starting lineup yet. Robertson has been thrown in as a starter sooner than anyone expected because of the substance-abuse-related suspension of Josh Evans.

Robertson will probably play deep into the second quarter Saturday night against the New Orleans Saints and he will get plenty of time against the Giants next week as the Jets try to prepare him quickly. There is a small difference of opinion on his progress. Robertson says he is going full speed already because he knows where he is going. Coaches think he is still hesitating because he is thinking too much.

"He's got to get quickly off the ball, get vertical very quickly and push," Carter said. "There's a little hesitation because of the speed of the game and wanting to analyze things instead of just going and letting it go. That will all come. The more snaps he gets, it lets him get a feel for it, what a game will be like in September."

I'm mad they're being so negative on him. If his grade is in the mid 80's, why are they getting mad? How about they just help him get better.

All the Jets coaches are saying are positive things about him and stuff like he's getting better. Why does the media have to throw the side comments in there like "Of course, Robertson was drafted to do more than take up space. He is supposed be the Warren Sapp model of defensive tackle, one who gets to the quarterback." Thats not necessary. Why not let the guy play a game first.

Robertson is under such high scrutiny because:

1) He plays for a New York team.

2) The Jets gave up a lot to get him.

3) He was chosen so high in the draft.

Plus there's always the headline potential: More a Sap than a Saap :)

Archived