Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I think this is a good, logical offseason plan/goal

HailToTheRedskins14

Here are some thoughts on what I think would be a good offseason, but is also somewhat logical (I think). We tend to over or under value almost everything and ignore some of the obvious stuff. I think a decent amount of this is likely as well.

First, the draft. All signs point to Bradford at #4 and I'm pretty sure that will be the choice. Everything has been noted. Campbell will return next year and start the year while Bradford sits on the bench for at least half a year, but hopefully a full year. Campbell might even be playing for a small contract extension if he wants to be here and he plays well under what should definitely be better coaching. Colt will hang around at #3 but won't ever be a start. TC is probably gone but it really doesn't matter at this point.

#4 overall goes to Sam Bradford.

Now I know, what about the offensive line? Our 2nd rounder is #36 overall which is comparable to a first rounder. We'll just draft the best LT that falls to that spot. Last year Ebon Britton, Phil Loadholt, Fili Moala, Sebastian Vollmer, and William Beatty all went in the 2nd round. Not the best of the best but they were solid if not good prospects. It also probably isn't too much of a stretch to say the true value in the LT class this year is right after the guys at the top. They're good but it's not a great class at the top, so the value will be in taking a pick in the 2nd round. It just seems a logical choice that will not be scrutinized. We took QB at #4? Well we also grabbed what could turn out to be a LT of the future if we get the right guy. That would be a great draft if we got two good starters with these picks.

Our next pick is in the 4th, but I think we try to get in the 3rd round by looking at trades. We hear the talk of trading Cooley, Landry, Rogers, Jason Campbell, Portis, Andre Carter, and probably some others. Let me make the case for these guys.

Cooley would be a bad guy to get rid of. He's a hard worker and a very good TE. I think Shanahan HAS to see the potential of having Fred Davis and Chris Cooley sitting on his new roster. Cooley is a high caliber player, period. That cannot be argued. He's young. That can't be argued. I was initially intrigued by the idea of trading Cooley, but it's just too much of a risk to take. If we trade him and get nothing back, it will haunt us. Must keep Cooley.

Landry is interesting. He has played pretty pitiful for about a year and a half. But he's young, and he has the natural talent (which I admit means nothing if he doesn't produce). I think you keep him on the roster, though, and hope he'll recover his skills and attitude under a new system with, again, what SHOULD be improved coaching. But you don't hesitate to bench him. Kareem Moore, Chris Horton, and Reed Doughty can hold the position down if Landry keeps it up. Doughty is one of the more underrated players on the team. But give Landry the chance. It wasn't our new coaching staff who brought him in, so they have nothing to lose. It won't make them look bad for him to fail.

Andre Carter is a guy that probably has some good years ahead of him. And everyone complains about trading the guys that work hard and perform for us to get some flashy new toy. This guy is the ultimate worker, and regardless of how good Haynesworth and Orakpo were last year, Andre Carter also produced pretty damn good numbers. He might just be hitting his prime. And we don't have great depth behind him at DE. I think it would be foolish to trade him on an unproven 3rd rounder (at best).

Portis won't get us much I don't think. I'm not sure if he'll be on the team next year, it's really difficult to say, so a trade might be possible, but it would have to be some kind of package deal. I don't see a team giving up much of anything for him. But I could also see Portis returning and us trying to find a true change-of-pace back to pair up with him, whether in free agency or the draft.

Rogers will stay, he too has only one year left on his contract. He was unhappy with our last coaching staff and it showed, maybe he'll improve under (again, what SHOULD be) good coaching. And our depth in CB probably needs another year before they are truly ready. I think it would be taking an unnecessary hit to get rid of Rogers. He's not an elite corner, but he's more than solid.

I'm not comfortable at all taking Bradford at #4 right now. When Mayock and the NFL channel start breaking down the draft in depth, my mind might change. I'm for Brodie Croyle and Tyler Thigpen. Young veterans with good arms that can throw TD's. I still think that's the best way to go for the time being.

I'm for trading AC although I respect your rationale for keeping him. I don't want to try the 34 experiment. I think that is only going to uneccessarily prolong our efforts to get a 4th championship.

*Trade down multiple times.

*Explore a trade with one of our players for a draft pick. I think AC could net us a 3rd or 4th round pick personally.

I think you have it all backwards! The very first thing the organization needs to decide is whom to bring back. We have a number of players that are UFA (although the new rules wth the cap could come into play). Our key people are:

Jason Campbell QB

Hunter Smith P

Levi Jones OT

Mike Williams OG

Casey Rabach C

Philip Daniels DE

Kedric Golson DL

Anthony Montgomery DL

Rocky McIntosh LB

Reed Dougherty SS

I would like to see them resign Hunter Smith, Anthony Montgomery, Rocky McIntosh and Reed Dougherty at a minimum.

Second, you focus on Free Agency. There I hope we get a starting Center and any young OL that are available and the staff likes. A LB or NT may also be needed.

After that, we focus on the draft based on our needs. That still will be OT, QB and a change of pace RB.

I'm not comfortable at all taking Bradford at #4 right now. When Mayock and the NFL channel start breaking down the draft in depth, my mind might change. I'm for Brodie Croyle and Tyler Thigpen. Young veterans with good arms that can throw TD's. I still think that's the best way to go for the time being.

I'm for trading AC although I respect your rationale for keeping him. I don't want to try the 34 experiment. I think that is only going to uneccessarily prolong our efforts to get a 4th championship.

*Trade down multiple times.

*Explore a trade with one of our players for a draft pick. I think AC could net us a 3rd or 4th round pick personally.

I like Tyler Thigpen a lot. I would like him AND Matt Moore. Keep Campbell and make it open competition in camp. I would be in favor of trading Campbell for Moore, but the Panthers can't be that dumb.

I think you have it all backwards! The very first thing the organization needs to decide is whom to bring back. We have a number of players that are UFA (although the new rules wth the cap could come into play). Our key people are:

Jason Campbell QB

Hunter Smith P

Levi Jones OT

Mike Williams OG

Casey Rabach C

Philip Daniels DE

Kedric Golson DL

Anthony Montgomery DL

Rocky McIntosh LB

Reed Dougherty SS

I would like to see them resign Hunter Smith, Anthony Montgomery, Rocky McIntosh and Reed Dougherty at a minimum.

Second, you focus on Free Agency. There I hope we get a starting Center and any young OL that are available and the staff likes. A LB or NT may also be needed.

After that, we focus on the draft based on our needs. That still will be OT, QB and a change of pace RB.

I'd like us to keep Campbell, just as insurance (rookie QB is getting slaughtered behind O-Line or will get slaughtered, we don't get a rookie QB, someone else offers a pick or two to sign campbell...)

And by the way, its Doughty. Just keeping you informed there...

That post takes a look at the value of trading some of our guys, but why not Campbell? Even though he's supposedly back for 2010, the pros and cons of trading him now far outweigh the pros and cons of keeping him. If Shanny and Allen can get good value, I think they can't pass up on the opportunity to get value on a guy that can walk in 2010.

Archived