Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Vikings All-Pro DT Williams '50-50' on retirement

GhostofSparta

Vikings All-Pro DT Williams '50-50' on retirement

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Vikings-All-Pro-DT-Pat-Williams-50-50-on-retirement-012510

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP)

Brett Favre isn't the only star player who could retire from the Minnesota Vikings. Defensive tackle Pat Williams said Monday he's "50-50" on whether he'll return for the final year of his contract. At 37, Williams is the second-oldest player on the team behind the 40-year-old Favre. The three-time Pro Bowl pick said he feels fine physically, but is mentally "drained" after a devastating end to his 13th NFL season. The Vikings lost to the New Orleans Saints in overtime of the NFC championship game Sunday.

Click on the link for the rest of the article.

The Vikings have enough depth on the defensive line to lose Williams and not miss too much. Granted he is a tremendous run stuffer and helps create space for guys like Kevin Williams, Jared Allen and Ray Edwards.

The bigger hit would be if Favre retires. The Vikings are a team built to win now . . . so I can see them making a play for McNabb, Vick, Jason, etc.

I honestly had no idea that Pat Williams was 37. The Vikings aren't one of the teams I normally pay a lot of attention to, but I always just assumed he was in his late 20s. If he retires, that is a huge blow to that defensive line.

He was with the Bills for quite a while. Amazing how time flies.

Archived