Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP-Mitchell: 'Clinton could've worked harder'

authentic

It seems like some people feel it is everyone else's fault that Clinton Portis didn't work hard except for Clinton Portis. It is Zorns fault, it is Snyders fault, it is Stump's fault. When does it become a problem with Portis's character? Guys like Jerry Rice didn't need to be told to work hard, which is why he became one of the greatest receivers ever. It is the same thing in real life - there are guys who work hard without being told that they should and more often than not they will be more successful than the guys who don't work as hard. It just is irritating to me to have people blame everyone else for Portis being lazy than to blame Portis.

I mean, seriously, it will make me sick if Portis becomes the Redskins rushing leader knowing that he came here, got his 50 million and decided to stop working hard. I hope we get rid of him just so that if the record is broken it's broken by someone worthy, not some guy who everyone is now saying, from coaches to teammates, doesn't work hard and who backstabs his teammates. It is outrageous to me that there are people who actually don't put the blame where it needs to be ... on CP!

Hearing this from stump really makes me weary of Portis and I have been a big fan/supporter of his over the years. I can't accept championing a guy that doesn't give it his all, and prepare and be the best he can be every season. I understand injuries happen, but at least come in, in shape and get in even better shape and be at the top of your game and give a damn. I know there are more than one side to a thing but I want results at this point.

Accountability man, it's time. Be a professional, put up or shut up and be out. That's it.

CP will never change, he is set in his ways...I blame some of this on Gibbs who was always kissing his a** and saying what a work horse and how he loves the way he plays, he has guts...blah blah blah. CP is a clown... if you dont practice 100%, you don't play!

Question for those thinking that Portis should stay: do you really believe that he all of a sudden is going to start working hard in the offseason at this point in his career?

It's just like Shanny said, at Clinton's age a RB has to work hard all year or he falls off a cliff. I just can't imagine that a worn down Portis, whose "pockets are tight" with Snyder dollars is going to wake up next week and become a workout warrior.

I think the opposite is true, and in fact I wonder from some of Clinton's remarks if he isn't hoping to get released so that he can just retire. I say all of this with no ax to grind. If Portis works hard and becomes a team player (he hasnt been one----playing hard on gameday only dosen't make you a team player), then I think he could have a couple of good years ahead and would be all for him staying. I'm just not seeing it.

The only reason CP's numbers look so good is he has been the focal point of our offense for 5 years. Any NFL running back who got the amount of carries he received over the last 5 years would have his numbers. The telling stat is the YPC, which for the most part has been under 4. I am amazed after every year we continue to keep him as our offensive focal point. It is defined as insanity. For those who question that, what have we won since CP has been here?Looking around the NFL at other teams playmakers it shocks me that someone who averages less than 4 yds every time he touches the ball continues to be pampered and considered a dangerous weapon in the NFL. :doh:

Posted at 11:57 AM ET, 01/12/2010

Mitchell clarifies comment, says more on Portis

Outgoing running backs coach Stump Mitchell had some interesting things to say about Clinton Portis yesterday. Mitchell was about halfway through an 18-hour drive to his new job at Southern University in Baton Rouge, La., when he called today. He offered another interesting Portis tidbit and also wanted to clarify one of his comments in this morning's story.

So let's start with the clarification. Saying that Portis could work harder, Mitchell said Tuesday that "...Dan has to understand that that's what has to be done. In order for the Redskins to be successful, that's what Clinton has to do." Mitchell reached out today to make clear that he intended no disrespect for Redskins owner Daniel Snyder.

"Mr. Snyder didn't interfere with us at all. He gave us all the support that he could. ...Mr. Snyder did everything he possibly could for us, as coaches, to try to turn this thing around. When he brought in Sherm Lewis, all he was trying to do was help us turn it around and try to help us save our jobs. Mr. Snyder and I, we had a good relationship. We would work out together. Now I wouldn't ask Clinton to work out with Mr. Snyder. I wouldn't ask any of those players work out with Mr. Snyder. Because he could go. He's not just a handsome man in a suit; he can work out."

Mitchell didn't backtrack on his comments about Portis, though, and recalled a conversation he had with Portis late in the season.

"I told Clinton after we put him on injured reserve, ...I said, 'Clinton, you need to get the surgery on your ankle, so you can work out, so you can run.' He said, 'Coach, I don't think I need to do that. I feel pretty good since I got that shot.' I said, 'Okay, just make sure you're able to work out next year.' "

Portis was slowed each of the past two seasons by bone spurs in both ankles, missing valuable practice time. He didn't miss any games, however, in either season because of the bone spurs.

"I don't know how long that shot is going to last," Mitchell said. "But I want to see Clinton accomplish everything he possibly can accomplish. I love him as a person. He's been nothing been nothing but respectful toward me. Clinton can carry a football team, I know that for a fact. But he's got to be in the best shape to do that."

By Rick Maese | January 12, 2010; 11:57 AM ET | Permalink | Comments (82)

Save & Share: icon-email.gif icon-facebook.gif icon-twitter.gif icon-digg.gif icon-buzz.gif icon-delicious.gif icon-stumble.gif icon-technorati.gif Seems CP isn't the cancer some of you make him out to beOr as washed up either;).CP get your head together man. I'd LOVE to see you be the Clinton Portis I've grown to respect.

Archived