Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How does Spurrier's camp compare to Marty's, Norv's

Awesome

Ok, here's a question to those of you who have been visiting training camp for a few years now. I'm interested in the way Spurrier runs his camp and how it differs from how Marty and Norv did things. From what you've seen so far, do you like the way he runs things? Should they be hitting more? Are they fired up? Is it well-organized and up-tempo or are players just loafing around?

On the surface, I'm familiar with the whole Club Norv mentality that existed and everything that came out of Marty's camp reeked of bootcamp with tons of hitting and the locked doors. I'm willing to say that whatever way Norv ran his camp was a failure-- two playoff games in seven years, almost gave me one of these:twitch:

Not that Marty's way of doing things produced better results. Those first five games in 2001 was about the worst football I've ever seen out of this team. BUT, they did catch fire and were playing very well into the end of the season, especially the defense.

No matter how much they disliked him, the players did respond to Marty. Did that have anything to do with the way he ran camp? Possibly.

It would seem that Spurrier's way of doing things falls somewhere in between Norv and Marty, but where???

I have actually heard that Marty has recently started toning down his training camps so that his guys will be in better shape later in the season. Some people have speculated that his tough camps are why even his best teams can't seem to make it over the hump later in the season. Either that or the laid-back surfer dude mentality of socal is getting to him. :lol:

I never saw Marty's camp, but from reading the comments in regards to it, Spurrier's is much lighter than Marty's must have been. There isn't tons of hitting, but they do hit. I personally think Spurrier's camp is more about drills and fundamentals and condidtioning. It believe Spurrier must think that abusing the players bodies too much isn't a good thing.

They did plenty of fundamental work from what I saw. That's a good thing in my opinion. As a HS baseball coach, I aways focus on the little details, then the big things take care of themselves. Spurrier seems that way as well. He nitpicks on tiny details. I like it.

Honestly, I think Spurriers is lighter than Norv's. I went to several of Norv's in Frostburg and they were hitting harder and doing more conditioning drills than at Spurrier's IMO.

And I went to two of Spurrier's camps in Carlyle last year and thought the same thing, so it's not just that I went out this year on a light day.

Originally posted by MAP16

Yes, thank you but the question was where does Spurrier's fall???:dunce:

Softer. :twitch: I think that is made obvious by the fact that Spurrier has called several practices early and even cancelled a few. That is something I could never see Marty doing. At least the old Marty.

NOTHING positive came out of Marty's camp.

That team was historically awful through the preseason and the first 5 3/4 regular season games. I still look back and think how fortunate they were against the Panthers, the team that eventually had the worst record in the league at 1-15. Through 3 quarters they were b!tch-slapping the Redskins. The score was only 14-0 but could have been much worse.

Lavar's pick helped right the ship, but Marty deserved to get canned just on his season beginning alone. There was almost an open mutiny on how he conducted his camp.

I was at Camp Marty. Maybe I just don't know what I'm seeing, but it didn't seem to me to be all that difficult. The players were out on the field by around 8 a.m. - there'd be drills and a little 7 on 7. They'd quit around 11 for lunch. Then back around 2:30 or 3 p.m. More drills...maybe a scrimmage. And high school-style exercises (sit ups and such).

Since my high school stepson was starting and I knew what the high schoolers were doing by comparison, I just didn't think Camp Marty was all that tough.

What got everyone's attention (and animosity) was Marty's bizzare penchant for micro-managing things to the point where he was making room assignments and such.

Archived