Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Five year anniversary -- Dec 26, 2004 Tsunami

Sticksboi05

As we all know, the Gulf Coast was devastated by Katrina and still hasn't fully recovered but the defining and by FAR, worst natural disaster of the decade and then some was the 2004 Tsunami which left much of coastal southeast Asia in ruins, killing 250,000 or more. It's unbelievable that so much video of it was recorded, especially considering this was pre-Youtube era...here are some stories recollecting the horrible event.

------------

http://liveshots.blogs.foxnews.com/2009/12/26/a-tsunami-story/?test=latestnews

I'll never forget that morning and while so much time has passed, it seems like just a few weeks ago. We started our morning very early here on the west coast the day after Christmas five years ago. My producer Jeff Nguyen and I got the call as the sun was just beginning to rise over California and within two hours we were packed and on a plane headed for destruction we could have never imagined, or prepared to see.

For the next three and a half weeks we watched as people from around the globe came to do anything and everything to help the people of Southeast Asia. Despite criticism from other nations, American Marines stationed in Thailand were me of the first "boots on the ground" helping those in need. Americans ended up being the most generous with time, money and hands on work that continues to this day, yet you don't hear other governments saying any of that….at the time some people were quick to criticize and promise, but slow to act.

The pictures in this slide show are just a few of hundreds. Many more still stick in my mind. I could have never imagined the destruction in Patong Beach for example. Homes and businesses four blocks in from the ocean were leveled, yet areas on bluffs overlooking the million dollar view…left untouched by the incredible force of mother nature. We saw dead bodies and a human head on Phi Phi island. People there lined the dock, both alive and dead.

That was one of the worst days that I have ever experienced. Reggie White died, the tsunami killed thousands, Skins lose a heartbreaker to the cowboys and when I thought it couldn't get any worst; my 6 month old boxer puppy suddenly died about 3 hours after the game. I hope I never have another day like that.

As we all know, the Gulf Coast was devastated by Katrina and still hasn't fully recovered but the defining and by FAR, worst natural disaster of the decade and then some was the 2004 Tsunami which left much of coastal southeast Asia in ruins, killing 250,000 or more.

I don't think there will be another natural disaster as big in scope and deaths in our lifetimes. I think that's a fairly safe bet....

That was unbelievable.

Archived