Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A new defensive coordinator and secondary coach are needed too.

The Full Monty

Say goodbye to Greg Blache. He wanted to quit two years ago but got talked into staying. This season he ditched his media duties, only ending the silence to defend Dan Snyder. The defense has played well and has kept us in a lot of games up until only recently. I give him credit for the job he's done given the circumstances, but the writing is on the wall and I will be more shocked if he stays than if Zorn stays.

However, he's got issues on his side too. I still don't see why our DB's play off wide receivers so much or why we are so susceptible to busted plays, and I know many people, not me but apparently a whole lot, are wondering why Blache agreed to make Orakpo a linebacker. His reputation says he's a real cusser and can really lay into players, but I sincerely doubt he's ever dressed down Rogers, Landry, Smoot or Hall whenever they made the mistakes we've seen. Certainly not Landry.

That stated, my opinion is that hopefully, Jerry Gray does not come close to sniffing the defensive coordinator job. I am disappointed in his inability to develop Carlos Rogers and Laron Landry into consistent players. I realize the players have to execute, but I believe 100% that if Gray becomes defensive coordinator, we'll get more of the same kinds of inconsistency in the secondary that we have under Blache.

My darkhorse in-house candidate for defensive coordinator would be Kirk Olivadotti, who I've been high on for a while and started a few threads on.

Otherwise, Herm Edwards is chilling out somewhere. He was Tampa's secondary coach for a while and a damn good one. I would be very happy if he became defensive coordinator/DBs coach if not just one or the other. Dick Jauron, and John Fox if he gets fired, would make solid defensive coordinators also.

Archived